2010/2011 Europa League and Champions League- French Clubs Thread

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 16, 2010.

1. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hard to admit but this is true . Lyon is the only team that's consistent and good enough to get past the group stages .

2. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    oui

sisi

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They have Lucho as playmaker and they have good wide players. They needed a Fabiano type striker instead of crap like Gignac and Brandao. Cisse sucks ok but Cheyrou is usually good but in that game he made too many mistakes.

4. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    L'om should have not signed Gignac Gignac should have signed for Juventus or some other club

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    He's not good enough for a big club I think.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, some other club. FC Martigues comes to mind.

7. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    why not pau fc

8. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You're really down on Gignac huh Guignol? Haha, I don't blame you, he's done nothing since he's led the league in scoring and became everyone's darling. (Everyone but me that is)

9. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Guignol do you think he would have been better in Lyon ?

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no, he would have done better to stay in toulouse.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG 6 pts in the Europa League and Lille 1 pt. Hmmm, I think I expected the opposite.

12. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, well, well. Much maligned OM makes it to the knockout stages of UCL.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    me too. i meant to comment after the match in sofia that i hadn't seen the LOSC so inept in years. to me, there were more goals in the PSG-BVB nil-nil than in the levski 2-2 LOSC.

howzat you say?????

there were 3 or 4 classy chances in the PdP, so sweet to watch that i count each for half a goal... pour le geste.

none of the 4 goals in sofia was worth a red cent... ne valait pas un clou. their only entertaiment value was a kind of keystone kops bellylaugh. the kind of match that makes jim rome seem intelligent: soccer isn't a real sport after all.

Ajax-AJA was on at the same time that week; every time i flipped over the score against zelina had grown, but from the few minutes i saw, my question is how the hell did OM struggle against them the first time? zelina was uzbekish! qataresque! 7-0? big fat hairy deal. last night marseille were bally lucky not to get stung and badly too by a red army club who had the only three good chances in the first half. well, valbuena's goal came on an attack that started well, but one that rémy almost killed with a horrible cross. rémy's goal was almost inadvertent, and brandao's came when cska had given up (needing to score 3 times and a man down). and they absolutely needed to score twice because at 1-0 no way they were going through on goal difference despite that 7-0.

here's the list of players who did not deserve to win last night: diawara, m'bia, lucho, rémy, cissé, mandanda, ayew. those who did deserve it: valbuena, heinze, azpi, brandao, azpi (yes, he deserves it double).

14. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    What an amazing goal from Nene. :cool:

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I didnt expect them to win this group and beat Seville twice. Dortmund are doing very well in Germany. Lille a still have to win their last match vs Genk to qualify.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    me neither, but once it was done the evidence was incontrovertible: PSG is simply a much better team. there are players i either never or no longer rated, tiéné, chantôme, giuly, who have been doing great stuff recently.

i hope they do but frankly i'm not confident. despite having a much easier group, again based on what they produce on the field (in europa league) they have no business going through. every match i've seen them play they've been flat as a crêpe.

17. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea Lille have been a sad sight so far in the EL and I actually doubt they'll be able to beat Gent to go through, would be nice for the coefficient though as Portugal & Russia seems to have a three seeded teams each in the KO stage (the bonus points for Lyon & OM will do a alot to off-set that though).

PSG has been a bit of a shock but they always seem to have a knack for performing in cup competition compared to the league. Still need to win the group though I think to be confident of going through in the first knock out stages as there are some bad draws out there if they finish 2nd.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it depends on whether rudi wants (or seydoux makes him want) to go through. at their best the dogues could have beaten everyone in their group like redheaded stepchildren. now they have the ball in their court, at home, 90 minutes to do a job that is well within their abilities. if they fail, they're dead to me.

19. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    At this stage of the competition with only the knock-out stages left I don't see any real point in tanking to avoid tough schuedling.. If so they should have tanked the qualification round. And Uefa has raised the prize money quite a lot to make it worth while for a club like Lille to try to get through.

That said Gent did beat Sporting & Levski at home, they've been terrible on the road but Lille is hardly an hour by car so I don't know. The players just haven't been very inspired in the competition (night and day from last year). With the new arena under way and big ambitions I think it's important for the club to get some experience winning games in Europe.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    After what Lille did over the weekend, theres no excuses for them not to beat Genk assuming they care about this competition of course.

21. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Lille beat Gent 3-0.

So France got two teams in the Champions League knock-out stages and two in the Europa League. Exact same numbers as last year.

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Not bad. Germany has passed Italy in the rankings so that means Italy and France will have the same number of Champions League places. That will be weird.

23. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    def weird

i hope france gets 4 champion league spots one day

24. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Italy really got passed by in terms of stadium development the last decade, it's almost sad their massive old stadium with tracks 40% filled week out and week in, compared to say Bundesliga with 10 teams averaging over 40.000 ppl per game.

That's not to say that Ligue 1 doesn't have some teams with the same problems but with some new stadiums being built and the euro 2016 development there's movement in a good direction.

25. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    def theres going to be alot of new stadiums and upgrades stadiums i can't wait just want France needs check out
    http://france-stades.forumactif.com/

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=571027&page=57