2010/11 NHL Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by KensingtonSC, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlyle could be in trouble if Anaheim don't rebound, which looking at the roster, is possible.

Cory Clouston in Ottawa could be in trouble.

The Sutter clan in Calgary better have their unemployment forms ready some time this year when everything collapses.

The Wild coach, Todd Richards could be gone soon, because the Wild owner thinks they have a playoff team, and they don't.

Otherwise, most of the crap teams have new coaches that aren't going to be fired this season. Teams like Tampa, Florida, the Islanders, Dallas etc are going to let them play it out a bit.

Other teams that could fire their coaches if the team underperforms like Pittsburgh did with Therrien:

Rangers
    Canucks
    Los Angeles
    Phoenix, but that is likely for financial reasons.
    The Flyers, just because

2. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I could see Torts gone from the Rangers, but it's not his fault (It's Brooksy's fault). They just happen to be the 4th best team in their division. Sucks, but it's true.

Vancouver, maybe, but I think he has a little leash left.

LA is rising, so I don't see them cutting their coach go.

Tippett did great things with that squad last year, and I think they're a division title contender. He's not going anywhere.

The Flyers aren't going to get rid of Laviolette. The team won't quit on him this year. Maybe next year, but not this year.

To be honest, I could see Todd McClellan get the axe if the Sharks flounder in any way this year for a long stretch of time. That team is one more early-round playoff exit away from being completely dismantled.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McClellan is a good add.

PLease remember that all those names you quoted me on are in my "if the team sucks" column. So if by December, the Rangers are 13th in the east, or Vancouver is closer to lottery balls than playoff spots, you could see a team make a move. I didn't say any of those guys are likely to get their termination papers.

4. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Sharks don't make at least the Conferance Finals, I definitely think McClellan is gone. I'm a Sharks supporter from San Jose, but there is really alot of pressure on the team to win a Cup before Joe, Patty, Heater and the rest of the crew pass their prime, which unfortunately will be sooner than later.

I definitely see Ottawa, Calgary and Anaheim going the wrong way, but think Vancouver will be a real cup contender with their improved blueline.

One team that could struggle is Pittsburgh, though they've added Paul Martin and Michalek. I think they really lack top 6 forwards, and could see their coach get sacked if they don't make a deep run in the playoffs.

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So there are four teams still undefeated (Tampa, Toronto, Dallas, Nashville), any takers on who the last undefeated is. Rep to whoever gets it right.

I'll play the homer and guess Toronto.

6. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leafs are looking pretty good, I'm shocked. :D And I wouldn't have expected Dallas to beat Detroit last night.

I'll take Tampa, though, Stamkos is a ********ing beast.

7. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'll go with Nashville....Support my ex-Leaf Stevie Sullivan.

Even Kubina scored last night for TB with a rocket.

8. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very solid team, the Preds. I love the Weber-Suter D combo, maybe the best pair in the league. And, while they don't have any superstars on their front line, they do have 8-9 very solid forwards who give them good production. Trotz has done a nice job their with limited financial resources.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Out of that ridiculous list, I'll go

Nashville
    Toronto
    Tampa
    Dallas

In that order in terms of Nashville lasting the longest.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vancouver is a Cup contender, which is why if they bomb out mid season, you could see a coaching change. People have been predicting Alain Vineault's down fall since Gillis took over. Remember, Pittsburgh switched coaches in route to the Cup victory.

And as for Pittsburgh, I think they will be fine once they figure out how to get everybody on the same page. Martin and Michalek are very good players and it's not like Pittsburgh has ever had decent wingers, except for three months or so.

11. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Indeed. Ridiculous is the operative word.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I mean, I would be very surprised if even two of those teams made the playoffs. I expect Nashville to right for a low seed like usual and for Toronto and Tampa to be in the running for an 8th seed, but Dallas I thought was a lottery team.

13. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we're only 3-4 games into the season, so I don't think any team still being undefeated is "ridiculous."

I bet all 4 of these teams has a chance to fight for a playoff spot, but clearly the likes of SJ, Chi, Det, Van, etc. will seperate themselves in the West at some point.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but just to pick those four teams is kind of funny. You'd think you'd get at least one good team in there.

15. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, maybe.

But Nashville made the playoffs last year and gave Chicago a real scare, and I think Tampa and Toronto are two teams that clearly are on the rise.

So only Dallas really shocks me, as I agree with you that I thought they'd really suck. :D

16. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Down to Toronto and Dallas :p

17. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D F'ing Panthers blew out Tampa, I can't believe the Leafs and Stars are the only two left.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much more surprised about Dallas than Toronto. I expected Toronto to at least be competitive this season, but I look at Dallas and I just see bleh. I am still putting this down to small sample size. Remember Colorado last year started out something like 10-1 before fading badly and limping into the playoffs.

19. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I think Dallas was really relying on some of their younger forwards like Jamie Benn, James Neal, and Loui Eriksson to step up and become top players this year.

I haven't seen Dallas play once this year so I don't know if they've contributed to their good success, but at least they have a decent young core.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ducks have three more games to decide whether to keep Cam Fowler this year or not. It will be interesting to see what they do. Fowler has been up and down from what I have seen, which is kind of what you'd expect from an 18 year old defenseman. Man can he skate though.

So far the list of players that are staying up, people can feel free to correct me...

Taylor Hall (1)
    Tyler Seguin (2)
    Nino Niederreiter (5)
    Jeff Skinner (7)
    Alexander Burmistrov (8)
    Cam Fowler (12)

21. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't he just break his nose last night, though?

I hope that doesn't contribue to their decision, as he scored his first goal last night, and the Ducks really need some offense from their blue line.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the fact that Richards-Neal-Eriksson line has 20 points and is +20 might have something to do with it?

Yeah he did, but he was cleared to play already.

23. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the Blackhawks come back in thrilling fashion from a 2-0 third period deficit to beat the Blues in overtime thanks to Patrick Sharp's third straight game-winning goal. Marian Hossa has been a beast from the get-go and continued that with his two goals tonight.

I was pretty worried about the letdown this season coming off of the Stanley Cup euphoria, combined with losing the likes of Byfuglien, Versteeg, and Niemi. But if Kane and Toews start to play as well as Hossa and Sharp are at the moment, then I wouldn't discount our chance of making it back to the Finals.

24. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down goes Toronto!

[​IMG]

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys benefit from one of the more comical calls I have ever seen.