(2010.06.28) FIFA World Cup RO16: Paraguay x Japan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: (6.28.10) FIFA World Cup RO16: Paraguay vs Japan [R]

I read Komano did good PK in previous practice before this match.
    Still I also think there were plenty of other options.

2. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think Japan could have won this if either:
    1) Matsui's shot went in
    2) We were physically more fit
    3) We were luckier with the PKs

One might say that Paraguay were better, but if they were it was like 55-45, insignificant in soccer. A tie was a very fair score, too bad Komano was picked for the PK. I was in a chat room, and the moment he stepped up, 3 or 4 of us said: "Ok, he'll miss."

3. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Japan were one of the very fittest teams statistically. You could ask for more but they were really really fit, other teams fans have noticed this as japan's one of japan's strengths.

Sure Komano got all 3 of his previous international ones in, but each time I saw him take one I kept thinking he'd miss.

4. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The lack of fitness thing was down to Okada selecting the same 11 each match and running them into the ground. That is a major limitation in playing a frenetic pressing style like that, you need the full 23 man roster.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Japan covered 133km, Paraguay 134km. Massive distances, its hard to expect japan to run 143km and outrun Paraguay.

My main regret is that Kengo Nakamura wasn't used more. The time he was on the pitch were some of the most inventive stuff japan played in teh whole tournament.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think in retrospective the mistake was to field yet again the same 11. A few were clearly boiled out, and even thou they put in the utmost effort, Endo, Matsui, Abe, Okubo and a few others were not at 100%.

Okada's main problem is his conservatism, but it is also true that it was part of the reason why we made it to the best 16.

The other criticism is the lack of a "joker" in the pack. We really lacked a player who could come in and EVENTUALLY solve the game. Looking at the selection of the 23, Yano and Tamada but not Kagawa seems as a bestiality.

Finally, a regret. Komano worked his arse off and played a decent World Cup, but Uchida at 100% would have been another thing. With him behind Matsui it would have been hell for the opponents.

It was the game I expected, could have gone both ways, and in the end I believe that Japan ending in 9th place (or so they say...) is an amazing result.

7. Horangi

Horangi Member

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    TR de Coatzacoalcos

I'm a poster from Korea forums but I had to respond to this. I'm an interested follower of Japanese football and this is just my personal opinion.

It seems to me that unless you're Spain, Argentina or Brazil with established football culture that sprouts oodles of creativity, talent and athletic strength, worrying about aesthetics is really barking up the wrong tree. Even the above mentioned countries don't fret about "aesthetics".

I always felt Japan suffered from a false philosophy/mentality that supported a style that was more focused on aesthetics filled with good looking overlapping runs and nice short passes, much of it not very dangerous, that lead to nothing threatening in the box. This is a major challenge for Japanese football IMO. Even Brazil stopped fretting over aesthetics and they are looking pretty amazing.

The cure to this problem is decisiveness and efficiency in possession which is what Japan needs: Honda being exhibit A. There needs to be more of this in midfield and attack rather than backtracking and trying to revive a aesthetic stylishness being the proverbial goal.

8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

the way Komano in 2 consecutive FWC has come into teh final 23 as a squad-member then to be thrust into the starting XI really late in the day and how he performed (which wasn't bad by any standards) speaks a lot about his professionalism.

But this world cup caps the end of a hell of a decade progress speaking for japanese football.

J.League averaging 19000 ish per game attendance, two teams claiming 3rd in the CWC, establishing itself as truly the greatest league in Asia in pretty much any criteria.

2 Asian Cups, 1 Confed Cup final, 2 R16 world cups. Establishing themselves fully as a true Asian powerhouse and a true competitor on the world stage.

During the last 3 FWC's, the WDL is 4-3-4 which is certainly much better.

However now, japan and Korea have cemented their places as the true powerhouses of asia. The most difficult part now is how they reach that next step. The tools, ideas, and practise needed to get to that stage doesn't lie in Asia. Friendlies etc japan must be exposed to top opposition much more. J.League players need more exposure to europe. A couple of the things that Africa is attempting to do but failing. Japan can do it better.

9. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

By aesthetic I was trying to say "anything but bunkering 10 men in our own box for 88m of the game" in a nice way.

10. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I have no complaints to the player, he really did his utmost and I admire for it. But he is not World Class. In fact he probably won't go anywhere else than Japan...

The difference between Japan and the top soccer powers is that while Argentina or Brazil can probably count on 50 WC-level players, we're now up to about 10 or so... (Okada's starting eleven minus Okubo and Komano, with perhaps Uchida and Kagawa)

And when the same 11 must play four hi-tension games in a row, well, we can't expect them to be at 100%, thus you can't beat Paraguay...

11. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Korea and Japan both outclass China on the world stage when they actually care, no offense. Personally, Asia proved themselves here so as long as it continues in 2014, China better step up, better yet, qualify.

12. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Yeah, same with me and Denmark,Sweden and Iceland and to some extent Germany and Great Britain. But then I want to ask if you rooted for Portugal or North Korea in their clash in the group stage, and who did u pick as ur favorite in the Greece vs South-Korea match?

Dont get me wrong, I too rooted for South Korea, north Korea and also Australia in the world cup, but not just because they are Asian. But by following J.League as closely as I do I've come to known K.League, A.League and some o the NK-players as well, so I would rather see them go through than other teams. Usually I root for Sweden as well, although to a lesser extent Denmark.

13. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

"supman" is not clearly Chinese, I think he is not even Asian, just troller who have too much time on his hands. Just ignore him.
    Besides, Chinese NT show remakable improvement recently. They will be serious contender in next WCQ.

14. keisuke_honda18

keisuke_honda18 New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    indonesia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Poor Komano.. next time better Lad !!!! loss in penalty shoot out is always hurt.. but that what you got if u cant score goal in normal time..

Banzai Nippon

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Nice to see someone agreeing with me, I told that from the beginning of the competition. Sad because he will never had that chance again even though he looks like a 15 years old kid :D . I really like Kengo Nakamura.

Anyway, I read that the players were really tired going into this, from the mouth of Matsui I presume.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yeah he looked really good. I wonder what he could've done in a potential quarterfinal since Endo were going to be suspended.

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftVCLxvHw4&playnext_from=TL&videos=xZnxVNKJqVg&feature=recentf"]YouTube- ???????TBS[/ame]

What a shame :rolleyes: .

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  18. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

I wonder why he didn't start in the 11. That was the biggest surprise for me when I was reading lineups before the game started. We all know that every single team has a problem with the fourth game in such tournaments because players are tired after giving in most cases more than 100% to qualify to the next round. Yasuhito wasn't good from the first game but he stayed for one decissive FK on the pitch. A thing that never happened. OK, once, but it's hard to assume that he's going to score from free kick in every game.
    Speaking about Komano now. It looked like his one level lower from rest of the defense line. Another thing is that he didn't contribute as much to the offensive strenght of the team as Nagatomo, but he's one of the best side backs of the world right now so You can't blame Komano for doing his job well (defending). Why did he took a PK? An answer is simple. In the PK practice he must have been one of the best. The team probably knew who's gonna take PK and in what order before the game starts. Okada for sure knew this situation might happen so he probably consulted it with keepers too to decide. That was probably that thing that a man can do the same thing perfectly 99 times on 100 and we've seen this one exception yesterday. Sad but think that even Beckham failed in the most decissive monent.

19. defunct

defunct Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio

Endo was excellent in the group matches. He was solid in the R16 match as well.
    Really solid and dependable all around from what I recall.

His efforts just don't stand out as much.

For me, his general midfield excellence in the tournament culminates in the laser pass to Matsui, who crosses the ball to Honda, who scores.
    No one mentioned Endo when that goal happened.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

One thing some Japanese (including Komano's mom) need to understand is that in the world NOBODY, EVER blames a player for missing a penalty, especially in a situation such as Komano's. I understand the sorrow, but really there is no shame, no need to apologize...

21. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

as they should, right? He was oriented much more forward than Abe whose work really wasn't in the centre of events for most of the time. And I can appreciate it. Maybe I used some wrong words when stating that he 'wasnt' playing good'. Well, I meant that he was playing good and nothing above it. Compare him with Kengo now. I was expecting more from him simply. Now that he didn't lived up to my expectations he should end his career :D.
    Wow, that's gross exaggeration.

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Actually yes, there are people who might blame a player for missing a penalty: those who have never played soccer... :rolleyes:

23. Baek Doo San

Baek Doo San Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings

So wait the Japanese medias are blaming Komano and his mom has to apologize? Is that what I am seeing?
    If so then there is something very wrong with the Japanese media. I mean first of all the Japanese players should be treated as a hero as round of 16 is a very good result, and secondly blaming it on one person is rather disgraceful as the fault could be pointed to many players even the coach.

24. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

TBS are evil anyway ;)

25. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

If anyone should be apologizing it should be the Paraguayan players for not missing. :(