2009 Singapore Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by happy, Dec 22, 2008.

1. leohoenig

leohoenig Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shipton
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looking through the list, it appears that Home have moved from Bishan to Clementi - any ideas why? Anyone now playing at Bishan (at a lower level?)
    If supporters in Singapore are to become attached to specific clubs, then it is easier if they do not just move across the Island without notice.

From my point of view, things do not change, as the only one of the grounds I have not visited is Jurong West (currently Gombak).

2. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Bishan stadium is under renovation for the 2010 Youth Olympic.
    unlikely they will return until 2011 season, Clementi Stadium is where Home United will stay till then...

3. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    For that, I give the reason why :p

It will destory the football establishment along with the NT even

That why no one wnt to give it any chance like Basketball as they hve no choice

Simple, it take time to adjust new time like the Star War generation of the 70s & 80s who hate the new Star War of the 2000s

Esp now w/ the ACL or AFC Cup in Asia still trying to build up itself thus to abondon it now for ASL is crazy as we knw which one is the better future

Those who think it lacked overall player's standard have a wrong idea though as we r chasing a new standard now

In the past, NT only hve to win a domestic Malaysia league or Cup to prove itself but now it international which is the correct venue to test NT

The best ex. Lee Mon Hon, many claimed he was a great international but he played less than 10 internationals & nvr impressed at the highest level, just a domestic Malaysia scene

In the past, NT only hve to win a domestic Malaysia league or Cup to prove itself but now it international which is the correct venue to test NT

Also I think many r underest the diff of setting a new league in term of $ & admin like FAS did under Mah & JK

DPMM $4million over 2 years is nt even 1/2 wht it cost S-league then in 1996, let alone now

Also a lacked of admin is the worst as they mean a nos of clubs cnnt be run & let nt go on to footballers as in the early years they were a lacked of QC & that why Lee Mon Hon stayed in the game despite losing it since 95

4. pohui

pohui New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Singapore
    It wasn't hard to note the ruckus at the stands at Tampines Stadium just now, following a 0-0 draw between Tampines Rovers and Home United in this season 2009 opener.

But both teams seems to be please with the draw, as according to both Tampines' coach Vorawan Chitavanich and his Home United counterpart PN Sivaji.

[​IMG]

http://www.bolasepako.com/2009/02/bore-and-cautious.html

5. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    I want to know more about DPMM.

Do they have all full-time professional players?
    Their average salaries?

6. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    @happy

I've tried to understand your post, but i still don't get your point.
    infact some are directly against your own view.

again i summarise.

- countries like Singapore, Brunei, Timor Leste, Cambodia, Laos have too small
    fanbase to start a successful league (note: viewership...not playing standard)
    - however 'domestic' the 90's Lions used to play. it will be a uphill task for any S-League club to attract 55,000 fans at any game consistantly. (note: again I'm talking about viewership)

- err.. S-League is a 'domestic' league
    - the 'Asean Football League', since it's playing against clubs of other nations.. if I'm not wrong.. it should be considered 'international exposure', not just for 22-man national team, but ... (you can count)

- oh yes.. S-League is still a 'domestic' league
    - now compare it to a Asean level football league

get my point ?

- we're not talking about National team here
    - we're talking about club level
    - club that have weekly exposure to international match and potential more than 1000 fans at stadium
    - with fanbase of whole nation behind it, not just Tampines Ave

?

7. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
  8. leohoenig

leohoenig Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shipton
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    3377? A good crowd, but have you an estimate of how many of them turned up??

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    2,521 attendance from todays game beween Geylang and Albirex. Geylang won 3-1, i think this is an encourging attendance.

Seeing some images of last nights game between Tampines and Home and using feedback from a friend of mine, it would appear that 3,377 was the attendance. So i think it's a good opening two days.

10. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I was there at the Geylang - Albirex match.
    the crowd was no where near 2521.
    it was loosely filled at both gallery, and stands behind the post are almost empty.
    with a published capacity of 3864.
    I would say the actual figure will be close to 1500-1800

they probably count in those complimentary ticket issued, but who didn't turn up!

I was a paid customer, and the ticket booth are quiet.
    they are more complimentary ticket holder than paid tickets.

but good thing is there are still many generic football fans (but not necessary Geylang or Albirex fans) sitting around me.
    all hungry for football action.
    They cheer for goals, not for the team, but still loudest cheers goes to the local boys.

but for sure this S-League match didn't draw 2521 fans.

it does show something..

11. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

so from what moonface says, theyre arent any supporter groups like Ultras for S-League teams..? i know Super Reds have a support group

12. rainjar

rainjar New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone interested in regular social futsal on weekday nights, 9 to 10 pm, for working adults in Singapore, check out http://www.fiofafi.com/

13. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    there are 'ultras' for every team, just that their numbers are small.
    probably less than hundred for each team.
    Super Reds 's supporter are mostly the player's family members and friends
    with local korean and singaporean fans.
    so far, the best supported foreign team is still Albirex
    and for the local team is SAFFC and Home, with the backing of the servicemen.

14. pohui

pohui New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Singapore
  15. pohui

pohui New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Singapore
    Ultra in a sense like we known of those in European league.. I would not say or classified them as "ultras" but passionate supporters..:D:D

16. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    c'mon.. give those guys a break! :p

17. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I believed U hve to look at AFF idea of a ASL to understand which followed basketball

AFF plans will include dismantling national league which eveybdy including AFC opposes & they will throw out any FA w/o a league

Another reason is simple

We cnnt leave our fate in other hand

Just looked at the S'pore Slingers, for an entire year they played friendly games as they hve no league after leaving NSL & in football, if S-league is dismantled & ASL cnnt be mantained, where can S'pore turn do.

Wht will happen to ASEAN football or even S'pore football

That why nobdy in football support ASL as it is nt viable in it current format as recommeded by AFF

18. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    ACL PLayoff
    PEA 1-4 SAFFC​

Scorer
    - ARAI KENJI 29', CHAIMAN THERDSAK 97', 116', MUSTAQIM MANZUR 120'

SAFFC Lineup
    SHAHRIL JANTAN
    SHAIFUL ESAH
    ARAI KENJI
    HAFIZ OSMAN (RAZALEIGH BIN KHALIK 106)
    FUKASAWA MASAHIRO
    AHMAD LATIFF KHAMARUDIN
    CHAIMAN THERDSAK (SYED KARIM SYED 120)
    ALEKSANDAR DURIC (C)
    JOHN WILKINSON
    DANIEL BENNETT
    PARK TAE WON (MUSTAQIM MANZUR 70)

SAFFC advanced to PLAYOFF FINAL against PSMS Medan

19. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    PEA have now been grouped with Home United

Group H
    1. Valencia (Maldives)
    2. Becamex Binh Duong (Vietnam)
    3. Home United (Singapore)
    4. PEA (Thailand)

20. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    S'pore captain Indra Sahdan has resigned from SPF

He will be a FT footballer with Sengkang but will missed the first mth of action in the S-legue as it will take 1 mth to get clearence from SPF

21. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    where did you get that ? pluck from the air ?
    give me a link to show that...

as of now, they don't even have a plan for Asean League.
    who have plan of dismantling ANYTHING ?

are we talking in the same wave length ?

22. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    It will be an irony if SAFFC lose the match to PSMS Medan
    and did not qualify for the Champions League
    but PEA gets to plan in AFC Cup and probably excel!

i think the loser of SAFFC vs PSMS Medan should proceed to AFC Cup
    rather than the 1st round loser.

or was there other plan already ?

23. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    They already presented the plans to ASEAN FAs at the end of the 2007 ASEAN Championship so it go back as far as as Feb 2007

It was reported by Today & VNN

The plan called for top 2 clubs from 5 nation league (S-league, M-league, V-league, ISL, TPL) & 6 teams from the other 6 ASEAN nations

These teams CANNOT play in domestic League thus it was immediately opposed by all the ASEAN FAs & AFC also told AFF these clubs r nt allowed in ACL or AFC Cup thus meaning a bleak future for such clubs in ASL

U can find it as it was backed by WSG which had sold the plans as it bidded for S'pore NS project & somehow the gov believed they can pushed through despite objections everywhere.

24. MoonFace

MoonFace New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    thanks.. wasn't aware of that.
    a link would be appreciated.

those club will not be allowed to play in ACL or AFC Cup would not be fair.
    i totally agreed.
    but the idea should still be pushed through and some new arrangement
    should be made to realise the league.
    base the the reason and circumstances given in previous mail.