2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: 2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League

The "Canadian" Soccer League is currently nothing more than a regional league covering the Southern Ontario / Quebec corridor. Arbitrarily allowing them a spot in the Canadian Championship is not worthwhile as these are not full professional clubs in the CSL. There are other leagues similar to the CSL in Canada such as the PCSL in British Columbia, but still teams from there do not belong with Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver.

The only way that the Canadian Championship should be expanded is if there are new teams joining professional leagues such as MLS, USL1, and USL2. Only professional teams should compete for spots in the Champions League.

In regards to the last few suggestions of a real soccer league being formed in Canada; this should only be considered once there have been clubs formed that are alive and successfully operated in the MLS and USL leagues. Creating a league from nothing will never work.

2. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Canada cannot hold a successful soccer league and probably won't have one in the near future. Soccer is like the fifth most popular sport in this country. People in places in Alberta and Saskatchewan couldn't care less about the sport. Hell, hockey is our most popular sport and we can't have our own professional league without sharing with the US. Seriously, that should tell you everything you need to know.

It also doesn't help that Canada is a three city country when it comes to soccer.

3. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Before ripping on the CSL too much you got to realize that there is a growing professionalism in that league. I wouldn't be surprised if within a decade a handful of teams become truly professional. The player development aspect is rapidly improving with some of the teams teaming up with elite youth programs and there is rumours of Serbian White Eagles even starting an academy system.

The CSL is regional, but to be honest that may be the best bet for a "Canadian" league. Almost half of the country's population is along the Windsor-Quebec corridor and there are no restrictive travel element to deal with along that strip. We're never going to have a league approaching anything like the top divisions in England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy or Portugal in terms of money. At best we could hope for something along the lines of Scotland, Greece, Israel or Denmark. None of those countries have to deal with the travel we have to in Canada. Each of those countries would be considered a tiny province in this country, so using the the Windsor-Quebec corridor as a "provincial"-sized league is what will be best for player development and the growth of the game in Canada. There is nothing (save much smaller population centres and population density) preventing the PCSL from doing something similar in B.C. and Alberta.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hi guys, I was just trying to do a mock draw over on the Crew board, and I came up with this:

I don't know if anyone else here has looked into these seedings, but just in case, I'll ask a few quick questions:
    - Tauro can't be Panama#2, right?
    - Is GUA1 definitely down to just Communicaciones and Municipal?
    - If there's a third team from Panama, it has to be one of the three I listed, right?

Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

5. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

I'll get back to you with the answer on the panama situation.. I think whoever wins apertura 2009 gets the 2nd spot, but let me make sure 1st.. i'll be back..

6. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

I read somewhere just now, that they gave Real Esteli's spot to Costa Rica, can anyone verify this??

7. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

You just read this somewhere? Please find me a link.

A rep will be your reward. :)

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where did you read it?

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who would be the third team from Costa Rica? Brujas for having the most overall points or Herediano for having the most points between the two runners-up?

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who supplied the biggest bribe to CONCACAF? ;)

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this happens it's because (unsurprisingly) the 3rd Panamanian club wouldn't be able to meet the requirements either. When it comes to football, CONCACAF is like a shanty town.

12. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Herediano would be the one to take that 3rd spot.

Not to mention, they definetly have the stadium for it.

We don't need to bribe anyone. If anything, just to get what we earned we have to work twice as the others, you douche.

I owe you one.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're an idiot. You didn't even understand what I said. I wasn't saying that CR bribed anyone. He wanted to know which CR team would get the spot. It's a similar situation to the confusion about the El Salvador spot. So, I made a joke about it.

Ooooo... neg rep... I think I'm going to go cry now. Can't you please go get red carded again?

14. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

How many other socks do you have?

15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me? You're the one that opened a bunch of new accounts while you were banned.

I've only ever had one account here. I recently changed the name, as you can see in my sig. Changing names is alllowed by TPTB. In fact, you have to email support in order to do it. That hardly counts as a sock.

If you're getting neg repped by others that's because I'm not the only one who thinks you're a troublemaking moron. Trust me, no one on here is worth the hassle of me making a sock just to give additional negreps, a tactic you've employed in the past. Not everyone is like you.

Seriously, mods? Why do we have to put up with his crap? /ignore isn't enough if people are going to keep quoting him.

Go ahead, Germaine, I'll let you have the last word.

16. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

I read it in another forum, sorry, i'm still looking for some official news, but concacaf.com says nothing,

17. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

- The only stadium possible to use is the rod carew stadium, the one used for baseball.
    - The Rommel is STILL being remodeled, and just was changed from being finished in June to October (that's a whole year delay)
    - San Francisco F.C.'s newly remodeled stadium, has the mandated pitch size, but stadium capacity is small for champions league, the locker rooms have to be fixed, etc etc.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

It's looking like Vancouver is going to be the Canadian representative this term.

19. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's official, Vancouver is the Canadian champion. Once again TFC loses their bid to a USL side.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Not official just yet. If TFC can beat Montreal by 4 or more on June 18th, then they're in.

...so yeah, it's basically official.

21. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Toronto will have to play like Santos Laguna against Montreal :p

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've so far only found one source for the tiebreakers -- wiki. If they're right, and second tiebreaker is goal differential between tied teams, then Vancouver has indeed won. But this is wiki, so I'll see if I can find another source.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I found a legitimate source for the tiebreaking procedure last night, that I can't seem to now. The second and third tiebreakers on that list are only to be used if more than 2 teams are level on points. Which is impossible in this tournament, so it skips to overall goal differential, then goals scored.

24. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

The information on the Wikipedia page was based on a Monday afternoon press release from CSA. As this seemed only to confuse people, they released another one later Monday that is supposed to clarify.

However this one is truely bizarre, as number 3 and 4 only take effect if more than 2 teams are tied. But surely this is the same at 5a) and 5b) given that there are only 3 teams in the tournament; perhaps the rules are set to be generic if there are more than 3 teams in future years.

However, quite cleary, from the rules, and the examples given, Toronto can still win if they beat Montreal by 4 goals, and win a coin-toss; which seems unlikely ... knowing Toronto's luck. So Toronto is all but finished.

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Toronto would advance by defeating Montreal by 4+ goals (without a coin toss). If they win by exactly 4 goals, they'd advance by tiebreaker 5b, total number of goals in all matches. If they win by 5+ goals, they'd advance by tiebreaker 5a, greater goal difference in all matches.

If Toronto wins, but only by 1-3 goals, Vancouver would advance based on 5a.