2009-2010 Aston Villa Match Thread

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by TFoAV, Aug 14, 2009.

1. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an awesome response to the Torres goal. This is Villa's night @ Anfield.

2. ReMad

ReMad Member

Feb 25, 2007
  3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was shaking his head as if to say, "WTF was I thinking?"

Well done Villa.

4. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's final! 3-1 Villa @ Anfield! What a way to get the first win of the season. Wow. I DEIFNITELY didn't see this result coming, I was honestly hoping for a point at best. But wow, I'll take this ANY day. What a great win. Major props go out to the middle 5, they were for the most part excellent. The back 4 held their ground when it counted, and Freidel stopped anything that he possibly could. Great work by everybody involved, they frustrated Liverpool from the first goal on, and had them resigned to defeat minutes after the 3rd Villa goal went in. Wow, I am impressed, there's hope for the season yet!

5. ReMad

ReMad Member

Feb 25, 2007
  6. Marienburg

Marienburg New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shocking and awesome result. Got fortunate, took their chances and played excellent defense with a stifling midfield. Friedel and Petrov especially had great matches.

Only negative I will say is that Ashley Young still does not look himself. He seems to be trying to do too much taking players on at every opportunity and frequently loses it. I hope he sees a return to form soon and grats to him on a calmly taken penalty.

7. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the penalty was the only thing that Young did with excellence today, you're right, he was a bit off today. Also, Gabby was decent but not great. Basically, it was one of those games where Villa wasn't going to score during the run of play. They needed the set pieces to score, and fortunately that's exactly what they did.

The more I look at the statistical breakdown of the game, the more I find it hard to believe. I can't remember the last time that I saw a team basically dominate the overall run of play through the game, dominate in the number of corners and set pieces, and yet not only lose, but lose by 2 goals. But that's what happened to Liverpool tonight, and fortunately they were playing against the Villans.

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! I love watching Liver**** lose!

9. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    cuz chelski will never win three in a row?:D

10. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm?

11. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yes.:D

12. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result. Would love a picture of Young sliding to the corner flag, if anyone can find one. :D

13. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Line-up for Rapid Vienna

Guzan

Beye - Cuéllar - Davies - Shorey

Milner - Petrov - Delph - A Young

Carew - Heskey

Subs: Friedel, Lowry, Gardner, Sidwell, Albrighton, Reo-Coker, Agbonlahor.

14. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

More of a good news bad news thing. Good news #1: If you're like me and still can't believe it, yes, it's true, the Villans did go into Anfield on Monday night and win. Good news #2: Carew's back! After a foot injury sidelined him for the Wigan game and a virus put him on the bench for the others, Carew is going to be back in action tonight. Bad news #2: 4-4-2, Carew & Heskey up top, and a personal bad news, no NRC :( It's good to see Carew is back though, maybe he'll actually do something up top and bring some decent finishing to our offense, compared to us having little-to-none with Gabby & Heskey up there.

That said, this may be the best formation to run in this situation. We need to score, compared to Rapid who's probably going to try and bunker their way to an aggregate victory, and run a 4-5-1 themselves. As long as we don't make dumb mistakes with possession, and don't let Rapid score, this is a manageable deficit. Hopefully at full time, we can look forward to seeing who we're going to draw in the group stages, instead of just having the boring ol' EPL, FA Cup, & Carling Cup to look forward to. :p

15. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already a good start, Rapid didn't score in the opening minute. :p

16. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young gets a PK in the 32nd minute, and it was saved. Unbelievable. Very bad attempt on Young's part.

17. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very, very poor penalty attempt.

18. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thought the ref did well in giving it. He's a bit card happy though.

19. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmao @ pretty much everybody in Rapid's section being shirtless. What a tradition.

20. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young earns ANOTHER penalty. Hopefully he does better on this one.

21. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milner takes it this time, wastes no time, and drops a bomb right in the back of the net. 1-1, Villa controls its own destiny now.

22. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 @ to Villa @ the half, 1-1 aggregate. Like I said, Villa controls its own destiny now, and I like our chances.

Still a bit concerned with the fact that we have yet to score during the natural run of play all season, but hey, at this point I'll take the goals however the Villans can get em. As long as we're on top at the end, I'll be happy.

23. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapid coming out firing (pun intended), with Cuellar making the best play he's made in claret and blue so far with that save off the line. -phew-

24. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game has opened up considerably. I'm guessing that both teams figure that the next goal in this game could be the one that sends them to the group stages.

25. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAREW SCORES!
    2-0 Villa in this one! 2-1 on aggregate!

I'm honestly in a bit of shock here. First goal all season that didn't come off of a set piece. Carew, we missed you!