2008/09 UEFA Cup and UEFA CL- French Clubs Thread

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Aug 28, 2008.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, the trip to turkey will be tiring in and of itself, and gourcuff is knackered. he hasn't had a good outing for a month in any competition and taking him just to be flat again serves no purpose. fernando will be better than the ghost of gourcuff, he was excellent this weekend.

what's curious is that of all the clubs chasing lyon, bordeaux is the only one that on paper has the depth to rotate, play more than one competition and still keep fresh and they don't seem to be getting much out of it.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Qqn suit l'OM à Enschede?

Ben Arfa vient de marquer un but superb d'un tir libre, min 24!

Twente 0 - 1 OM.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG and Bordeaux are both up 1-0. Bellion scored in the 1st min.(WOW!) and Luynidula scored in the 38th and PSG up 3-0 on agg now. OM still up 1-0, 1-1 agg.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Bordeaux down 2-1 at half time. I think they are done as if we didnt know already. PSG up 4-1 on agg now. Wow, Rothen scored. He never scores.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Marseille win 1-0. they are in extra time now.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Peguy scored again. This guy has been so awesome in the UEFA Cup. Imagine if they could only get Kezman to play like that ? Wow.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm surprised that Bordeaux is fighting it even though they're under-strength.

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG win 3-1. 5-1 agg. I think they had a mix of starters amd reserves playing so thats impressive.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mandanda! Civelli has become a liability, he even gifted a corner. But today Mandanda has had a good day.

Twente - Marseille is going to the penalties.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gala scores. 3-1 over Bordeaux. It's over for les Girondins.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Blanc is an idiot and I hope they finish 5th place.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bordeaux tied!!!!!

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Wow. Incredible.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gala scores. Marseille is tied in the PKs, I lost my feed.

Gala defeats Bordeaux 4-3. Bordeaux out!

Twente - Marseille in sudden death penalty round, it seems. They tied 4-4 in the round of 5 penalties.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    It would have been nice to get 4 teams in the final 16 but I'll take 3. I'm assuming St. Etienne hold on. Bordeaux faught hard and were gallant but you have to wonder if Blanc's tactics cost them this one. OM won 7-6 on penalties. Very lucky but its about time we got some luck.

16. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god Bordeaux CHOKE

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Its not a choke, dude. A choke is when you have a 2 goal lead and let it slip away.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bordeaux fought it to the end. Good for them.

19. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough break for them, to fight back like that and be in position to win on away goals, only to give up a late goal.

If ASSE can avoid messing this up, 3 of the last 16 would be pretty good.

edit: and Payet just scored, so 4-2 on aggregate, and even if Olympiakos win this game 2-1 they'd go through.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I need a good link for that match.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As for the rankings, it'd be fine, so far. Bremen and Stuttgart are both losing, Wolfsburg is already out, so the Germans would only have Hamburg in the Round of 16.

It'd depend on how Lyon does in the CL. Bayern is basically through to the QFs there.

22. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://atdhe.net/live-tv-4043.html

That's in Greek, if you don't mind it. I haven't found anything good in French.

23. Rawrr

Rawrr New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Good game Bordeaux! We both played horribly (lol)... but it was EXCITING. We both had very important players out (Servet for us and Gourcuff for you). I'm still very annoyed with my team for playing like goofballs when it was 3-1.

It's very nice to see you French support all French teams in continental competitions. I wish us Turks could also be like that. We were like that in the past but sadly Fenerbahçe fanatics got jealous of Galatasaray and Besiktas' wins and started supporting every opponent we had. Anyways good on ya lads! The Marseille shootout was damn exciting.

Good luck in your league campaign (I'm guessing that's what Blanc really wants) and hope you spring back up after the match against Lorient!

Mate... I don't want to be annoying but if there is one thing the silly team we call fenerbahçe taught me about football, it's that Kezman is a horrible player. I heard he's giving the same statements in the French press which he did in Turkey for the past 2 years. Things like "I'll return to my glorious days soon" and when he scores just 1 goal against a 3rd divison team he goes "OK, I'm back to my glorious days, let me play against the best teams in the world" and then continues playing like a ghost. Don't fall for his trap! lol

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With one game to end (Valencia leads 2-1 over Dynamo Kyiv), it looks like this for the Round of 16:

Werder Bremen - Saint-Étienne
    CSKA Moscow - Shakhtar Donetsk
    Udinese - Zenit St. Petersburg
    Paris Saint-Germain - Braga
    Valencia - Metalist Kharkiv
    Manchester City - Aalborg BK
    Marseille - Ajax
    Hamburg - Galatasaray

By country:

France - 3 teams
    Ukraine - 3 teams
    Germany - 2 teams
    Russia - 2 teams

Italy, England, Turkey, Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal - 1 team each.

As a note, these results suggest a wide gap in quality between teams in the EPL, and slightly less so for Seria A and La Liga.

PS: Valencia OUT!

25. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy stuff, with both Valencia and Milan going out. Pretty wide open now, although I guess one of the Russian or German teams would probably be designated favorites.