2007 MLS Cup - Trip for Philly MLS Supporters

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by CyphaPSU, Dec 15, 2006.

1. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SoB :: MLS Cup Bus Trip Thread PbP/Recap [R]

To address a couple of your points...

Somes of us are new to MLS but others have been around since it's inception.

Many HAVE accused us of premeditated action against the Revs.

It wasn't our choice to be right in the middle of the Revs fans, we locked in the tickets months ago and our ticket contact said nothing about us being in the midst of the Revs fans.

Maybe we were trying to tweak them with our songs & chants... So what? We're soccer fans. Have you ever done the same thing?

Do some more research please. There has been responsibility taken on all sides.

I don't think we're "ignorant" or "stupid".

Sure, it could've been different, but it wasn't.

2. Bmye

Bmye Member

Oct 7, 2007
    NE Philly

Sure was fun though!:D

3. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eh, I'll agree that we were a bit overzealous to have our presence felt (I'm probably the most guilty, organizing the takeover of Revs' chants). We definitely have high levels of passion and desperation (for lack of a better word), which can be a volatile combination.

Looking back, I definitely deserved that bath, and am surprised I didn't take the brunt of the hostility. But I'd do it again...ball busting is just part of the game for supporters' clubs.

The one thing I'll give the RBNY supporters credit for is being clever enough to come up with a good song to fight back against us with.

And I think it's tough for us to realize, because we're inside of it, but to everyone else we must look like characters from an Ionesco play.

4. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Onionsack,
    Thank you for taking the time to draft that somewhat long, but very well reasoned post.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, accusing of us of member hunting in less than friendly terms involving male anatomy isn't trolling. I appreciate your viewpoint especially when it doesn't contain vulgarity or accusations.

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. DeuceDempsey15

DeuceDempsey15 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Jersey

Ok...#1 our orange kits are our club kits we play with in our South Jersey league. We were not there to support the dynamo, I dont even watch MLS.

#2 My friend is a ninja. Not a terrorist.

#3 I will not appoligize for what my Liverpoolian friend said. I will appoligize for him being a scouser and I will appoligize to the dude who came all the way from Florida to watch his team get beat yet again in another final.

#4 We were cheering for Philadelphia (one of our dudes WAS cheering for the Revs and actually started 2 of your chants). We were the last row back and we did not start shit with the people behind us until I had my scarf raised singing 4 Leaf Clover and my hand got smacked down by the revs supporter behind me. The whole game they were yelling in our ear about how we dont have a team and were not supposed to be here. The one guy walked passed us at the end as we were cheering and when he got behind us threw a gatorade bottle at us. He stoped and we started sayin stuff to him. He got real angry and got some she/man and they both started yelling back at us until my ninja friend started the "We won as many cups as you" chant. After we all chimmed in the dude just stood there with the angriest look on his face and then he turned and left.

We were there doing the same thing you's were but because we were back to back with the other side of the revs fans we were hearing all of it. We didnt start shit, we finished it.

8. Chastain'sSportsBra

Chastain'sSportsBra New Member

Nov 14, 2007

I'm getting tired of these "You're a bunch of noobs, so you should have sat quietlike instead of drowning out our cheers" arguments coming from angry Revs fans. Honestly, are you familiar with the sport at all? I'm new to soccer and even I know that the point of going to a game is to cheer like a maniac. Go to a Quaker meeting if you want revered silence. To expect quiet from a group that's trying to gain public recognition in order to secure a MLS team is laughable, and I wonder why it keeps being said. It's as laughable as blaming us for where we sat. Hello, are we new to how buying a ticket and sitting where instructed works?

Plus, why all the surprise that people cheered against your team? Were you supposed to be America's sweethearts or something? Was there a law against making fun of the Revs? You gotta put on your big boy undies and take it, or even better, chant louder and drown us out. C'mon, you had more people. Wringing your hands after the fact and complaining that a teamless fan club hurt your feelings reflects worse on you than us.

And saying that if we did that to any other team, it would have caused a riot? Do you mean to tell me that no other supporter's club ever teased another supporter's club...because by that logic, the news would be covering soccer riots right and left? Or perhaps, the other clubs know when to man up and give it back as hard as they get? Seriously, if you're that sensitive to what a stranger is yelling about a man on a field you don't personally know, you should probably be cheering at polo matches. You'll get to dress up nice and watch the games in hushed respect.

9. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget the divot stomping and champagne.

10. Bones18

Bones18 New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Manayunk

From that post: "As I posted in another thread...the only thing I'm pissed at SOB's for is ruining one of my favorite songs of all time...I will never be able to enjoy Tambourine Man ever again!!:D"

Hillarious :p

11. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok.. so getting away from the back and forth bickering a bit. Here's another funny MLS Cup trip story.

About 8AM or a little earlier, our bus rode past Lincoln Financial Field on I-95 we all looked down at the parking lot and saw some RV's and general tailgate setup. A couple of us said... "WTF? They're already down there tailgating for the football game?"
    Meanwhile, here we are with about 60 soccer fanatics on a bus already drinking beer (most of it home made with 2x the alcohol) and I think the Deuce and the Jersey Boys were already started on their Power Hour.

Man I can't wait to tailgate with you guys down on Seaport Drive. I might need to rent an apartment in Chester just so I have safe place to crash.

12. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll live in Media by then, which is close enough :cool:

13. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a "safe place" to have a "crash"? :confused:

14. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thats sort of why sections are separated in stadiums. Its would be dumb to place rival supporters in the middle of each other.

Here's a home work assignment for you to do until the next season starts. Go to Rome and grab 30 Roma fans and sit right in the middle of the Lazio section and see what they think of your "sing off, sound off" theory. :rolleyes:

15. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like a good test. Lets try it. Jersey... 2009... see you there.

16. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be sure your life insurance is up to date and your grave plot is picked out. ;)

17. Bmye

Bmye Member

Oct 7, 2007
    NE Philly

Didnt one rev fan in front of us say something about getting hit with a gatorade bottle? So he hit his own supporter. Thus further proving that they not only started it, but also retaliated first.

Elementary.

18. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's time to drop it and just ignore any more trolls.

19. Clocker

Clocker New Member

Nov 22, 2007

onionsack said:
    guess its just easier for you to label a person a troll with an alternative viewpoint than have to actually deal with the points raised.

Thats sort of an ever growing issue on this soccer site over the years, people have forums and think that gives them some censorship power over unpopular speach. As soon as someone that has a different club in their profile comes along and challeneges the group think it gets labeled "trolling".

probably the most reasonable, intelligent opinion i've read on this board. i don't even know what trolling is. i'm a big fan of horse racing and i frequent 1 HR message board and every once in awhile the phrase comes up. what i did after the game was google your group and post a comment from your home page which has gone unanswered. then i found this site from someone else and found this forum. i stated my opinion without profanity and only VERY mildly insulting and i got TROLLING accusations, i was reported by dirtskier and someone else i can't remember, and then i got 2 minutes in the penalty box for trolling from Bryan, the corridor monitor at Ben Franklin Junior High, (i know, not funny davey). . the bottom line is that i found out that your group is trying to do a lot of good for your cities soccer community and that u didn't purchase tix in the revs section on purpose. case closed. this was worth my efforts. but i find this whole thing EXTREMLY JUVENILE! I'm going to post this experience on the horse racing message board so everybody can have a good laugh.

PS: Sorry about your Kixx. Making a road trip to Orlando later to see the Sharks. You guys should make a road trip down here to support them. The expansion Sharks will probably be your best chance at a win. It should be a good game. They both suck, and theres nothing bad about Florida in the winter. Hope to see your group there. I'll say HI. Make sure u wear your shirts!

20. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, just hit the quote button.

The KiXX are dead to us for multiple reasons. I support the Baltimore Blast if I had to choose.

21. Clocker

Clocker New Member

Nov 22, 2007

I did copy/paste. I'm curious. Why would u not support your cities team? I know the Blast are one of the original MISL teams and have a great history, but Philly is Philly.

I used to really enjoy Baltimores rivalry with the Cleveland Crunch back in the day. My wife and I took a vacation to DC and saw a game between them around the mid 90's. Otto Ott, Hector Molinaro, i can't remeber anymore right now, but those 2 teams had many indoor hall of fame types on their rosters.

22. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are plenty of reasons we don't support the Kixx [anymore]. It's complicated. Just take our word for it.

23. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's just say that the ownership has been less than supportive of our efforts.

24. Clocker

Clocker New Member

Nov 22, 2007

Bryan, have u ever heard of freedom of speech. deleting my last post was really lame. no profanity, just an opion on how childish the management of this board is. grow up middle school corridor monitor.

25. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[youtube]Ti2cKBeqqJI[/youtube]

Kudos to C'sSB for the assist.