2007 League changes to playoffs, schedule, Beckham Rule, etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Offebacher, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the whole thing on MLS.net. http://www.mlsnet.com/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20061110&content_id=78340&vkey=mlscup2006&fext=.jsp

"In the West, each team will play four games against two of their intraconference foes and five games against their other three conference rivals, as well as one game against each East team".

Does this mean we get to play the "Poops" for at least five? Add in potential Open Cup and Playoffs and this could be a fun time for the Hinchada, not to mention the roadies. :D

2. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    Re: Schedule for next year??

Next season will definitely be interesting!

3. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, should have started a thread on Garber's State of the League address over here yesterday, of course the thread on MLS N&A is already huge...

1. schedule -
    "Each of the seven East teams will play every other East team four times for a total of 24 intraconference games. One game against each West team will round out each East team's schedule.

"In the West, each team will play four games against two of their intraconference foes and five games against their other three conference rivals, as well as one game against each East team."

We'll play three WC teams five times, absolutely FCD has to be one of them, I'd figure LA and Shitvas would be our other "natural rivals," if they decide to try to do it that way.

2. playoffs-

"The league will also tinker with the way teams qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs. The top two teams in each conference will make the playoffs; of the remaining nine teams, the four with the most points, regardless of conference, will also qualify. The potential imbalance - five East teams and three West teams, for example - means two teams from the same conference could meet in MLS Cup 2007.

"The playoff format itself, however, consisting of two-leg aggregate goals series in the first round and one-off games in the latter two, will not change."

4. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Dynamo Fans... Please participate in a BigSoccer Poll.

I've started a thread in MLS:General about the new Garber proposed 2007 league format...

Personally, I think it's a disaster, but I'd like to encourage you to come to the thread and vote. If there is enough of a plurality of opinion, perhaps MLS will reconsider it's suggested 2007 league format of playing:

4-5x's Intra-Conference Games (West = 23 games, East = 24 games)
    1x Inter-Conference Games (West = 7 times, East = 6 times)

Meaning, there is roughly a 50% chance that a team in the opposing conference might not make it to your stadium to play in front of you... It seems crazy considering MLS will have a brand new team Toronto and that there is a talk of getting some star players to MLS to draw fans (many will see them 2-3 times in a season while many won't see them at all).

However, there is a good option that might be doable for MLS (doesn't affect total games played or the playoffs or anything like that)...

Here's the link to the thread: Here's the link to the thread/poll

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

More details have been announced regarding the schedule, it looks like we'll play Dallas 4 times, other WC teams 3 times and everybody else twice, unless I'm reading it wrong.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20061111&content_id=78396&vkey=mlscuppr2006&fext=.jsp

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  8. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2007 League changes

It seems like MLS didn't get a jumpstart until I followed the league and Houston got a team. :D

9. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

I just called Figo about this rule and him coming over next Summer for the Dynamo. He's pretty upset because it's past midnight over in Italy and he hung up on me. Whatever.

10. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to clear things up, MLS has actually changed its mind about the schedule. Therefore, the schedule announced by Garber in the state of the league address on Friday is NOT the schedule approved in the owner's meeting today.

More details here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435981

11. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20061111&content_id=78396&vkey=mlscuppr2006&fext=.jsp[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't that create a nightmare traveling schedule for the teams involved?
    I could frsee the Dynamo in SLC one week then home , then in LA after. That gets expensive and exhausting for the teams involved. Could schedules be done so that say the Dynamo plays 3 away games then 3 home games.
    Seems like this schedule should be massaged to get the kinks out of it! Just a thought.:eek:

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

The team would fly back to Houston in between away games so having them in a row wouldn't really help any.

13. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's like we got everything we wanted for Christmas - almost. I really hate that a team from one conference could potentially win the other conference. It's just plain wrong and weird.

All games televised is HUGE. No more away games missed. woohooooo!!!!! Thanks MLS!

Beckham rule is huge, especially if Beckham actually comes next year. We could actually see the likes of Beckham, Figo, Ronaldo, etc. playing at Robertson next year against/with our boys - how friggin' cool is that?!!!!!

Good schedule (the new and improved version, of course).

Good stuff all around. New stadiums being built. I'd have to say that MLS is looking its best since it began. So glad to be part of it and have home team as good as our boys.

Let's win the cup!

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah hell....I don't like this rule. I think it will seriously unbalance teams for a few years until 13 superstars can be lured here...*sigh* Expect to see the Galaxy and Red Bulls and DC get much much better....everyone else ('cept maybe us by a long shot.....more likely Chivas added to that last) isn't......here we go....

15. f a B u L o s O

Nov 6, 2006
    Heights
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sabes que Naranja!?! You have more than a point that no one seems to understand. This rule is has opened a door, which YES we will get to see these huge stars from international play, but it also leaves the door open for "fly’s" to come into the house. Now don't get me wrong, I love to watch world class soccer at any hour of the day, but I am fearful of a huge name coming to the MLS only seeking $MoNeY$ and a nice place to retire. I don't want to see all the hard years that the MLS has fought and endured to see them put into bankruptcy because it's a "mad dash" to sign a mega star for each MLS Team. I want to see the Dynamo continue its winning record, but I WANT TO SEE THEM, and not read someday that they can't continue in our town. Make mine Orange & White!!

I have very much respect for the Beckhams, Figos and Ronaldos. I skipped work and school many a time only to watching these outstanding players with their squads in the early morning, I love them. But the MLS has some homegrown stars too, so don't count them short and get to crazy.

In the end, funk iT, WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP TO WIN TODAY!!!
    Yo si le voy, le voy al naranja!!
    Yo si le voy, le voy al naranja!!