2004 in review

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, Dec 31, 2004.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    As the year 2004 draws to a close, looking back what will you remember most about the 2004 footballing calendar, one half being domestic club sides and the other being International? One of each please.

2. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    Internationally, it would have to be Greece winning Euro 2004, I was not all too happy, having wanted Italy to win. I have to say for the record, Italy was the only team that did not loose a single game in the tournament.
    There are many things to choose from on the domestic stage but for me, having been born in Romania, Adrian Mutu’s Drug scandal tops my list. It was a day that I will remember for a long time, I was pissed off.
    Overall 2004 was a memorable year in the world of soccer and I am glad to be a part of it through its highs and lows.

3. Aguante Bielsa

Aguante Bielsa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 25, 2004
    Argentina
    Greece winning the Euro. I hate their style, but they did what they could with the few resources they had. I admire that.

Argentina's perfect Olympic tournament: gold, 17 goals scored, no goals conceded, fair play title. Just great.

4. kris

kris New Member

Nov 26, 2004
    2004 was the year of the underdog! Greece, Once Caldes and FC Porto. It's nice to see the big guns don't have a free pass in major tournaments anymore.

5. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll remember the underdogs, Greece, Once Caldas, Porto. Unfortunately the Mutu situation and of course as much as I hate them Arsenal's unbeaten run.

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden didn't lose a match either.

7. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Penalty losses are still losses..

8. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No there not. It's a lottery. There is a reason that in the official rule books pks count neither as a win or a loss. The game goes down as a draw.

9. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu & the growing sense that MLS has turned a corner of sorts re: stability and its future.

10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Internationally: Italy being favored heavily to win Euro 2004, and then crashing out in the group stage.

Domestically: Milan's amazing year in which they won the Scudetto, and Juve finally finished below the 1st and 2nd spots.

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    year of the underdogs.....totally agree

12. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    This is more time than I intended to spend on this but according to the first section of Article 14 of the Uefa Rule book, which works in accordance with the IFAB rules; it does not say that a game ending in penalties is on any level considered a tie. Rather it says that a winner is declared by penalties if there is no difference in score after 90 minutes and 2 periods of extra time.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    just to throw in some events not mentioned.

Valencia's double.... Beckham's affairs.... Maradona's near death experiense.... Terez to Brazil(that was big because rarely does a South American club can come up with the money).

14. 1900AFCA1900

1900AFCA1900 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Utrecht, Holland
    If you say so, Holland haven't lost on a WC or EC for ages! (ex. Euro 2004 of course, were we WON a PK. So I guess that explains why lost the semis against Portugal!)

15. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    That's quite exaggerated... ;) You didn't lose a game 2000, but in '96 you have lost against England and 2004 against the Czechs, both times in the group stages. The last time you lost a world cup game was 94, but that's not a great achievement since you didn't even qualify for 2002.