2002 FIFA World Player of the Year nominees

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Nov 18, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Woody-99 posted this earlier in FCM...

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_A/47133_E.html

Mia
    Prinz
    Sun Wen

Let the criticism of FIFA and how certain players got hosed begin.

Can someone post the 2002 club/country stats for the players that were nominated? Mahalo!

2. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    the only one I disagree with is Sun Wen....I would put in Hege Riise or Maren Meinert

3. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    how about Kristin lily or Fawcett to replace sun wen ( why can't defender be Fifa player of the year?)

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    My guess is that what defenders do during a match is not as quantifiable as say what a forward or middie does. Sure a defender can rack up a goal or an assist in a match but it is rare when compared to another field player like a forward.

5. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    ok BS is whacked cuz I type this up and it disappeared...so I typed up another reply and it WAS here and is now GONE and this reply (my first) is now showing????
    anyways...I added Pichon to my list and said that MAYBE Mia shouldn't be on the list along with Sun Wen but god forbid a US Player not nominated for the award.

6. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Prinz, Pichon and Mia

7. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    FIFA is dumb. Wasn't Mia Hamm injured for most of the WUSA season? How in the hell can she be nominated for world player of the year if she's missed most of it? :rolleyes:

It's really just a popularity contest anyway. I'm surprised they haven't turned it into a beauty contest and nominate Heather Mitts.

8. buff415

buff415 New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Beergut deserves it

Birgit Prinz should win this hands down. FIFA selecting Mia and Sun Wen is a case of rounding up the usual suspects. Sun Wen had 4 goals and 0 assists on 12 shots on goal for the 2002 WUSA season. That qualifies her for player of the year?

9. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would say pichon should be on there

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hamm played in 11 regular season matches (out of 21) and 2 postseason matches.

11. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Darn it!! Why'd you have to throw facts in there? ;)

Well, anyway she missed a significant portion of the season. And even when she came back it took her awhile to get back into form. She's still a quality player, but is not deserving of this award this year.

12. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Riise, Prinz, Pichon. By the way, I don't think Meinert would qualify. Didn't she retire from the German team?