1st 2008 roadtrip -- 3-29-08

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by StagsUnited72, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    where do i start....

no elite status, no elite line, no elite security line, no international, crappy frequent flyer program, no upgrades, no economy plus, having to deal with the caddle trying to board....want me to go on :)

its great if you dont fly alot, but ill spend an extra 20 bucks a trip to fly united. if your going to fly more than 25k miles a year try to fly one of he legacy carriers, if you hardly fly, then well you dont really know what your missing, so take southwest.

as for pricing, alot of carriers are now matching southwest, if not getting close enough it doesnt matter.

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Look into Southwest's new business class (or whatever they call it). Assigned seating and a complimentary glass of wine or something like that.

3. ShannonS

ShannonS New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Not here
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily I have a friend that's a flight attendant for JetBlue. Might have to hit her up for some away game tickets! YAY!

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    As my role as a poor college student surely you can see why I like them. :)

I understand what you're saying but definitely check out the new stuff Pseudonym mentioned. I'm sure you know this too but they also recently completely re-did their boarding procedures. No more cattle call. Also, I like their frequent flyer program a lot. Of course I'm not going on as many long-haul flights that really rack up the miles well but considering they give double credit for booking through their website, it works pretty well.

You're definitely right about some carriers matching them, though. We'll see how long it lasts.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    JetBlue is sweet. My dad knows the guys that started it up. Unfortunately not well enough for us to be jetting around the nation for free.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I love SW. I can pick what seat that I want without having the fat guy sitting next to me. I am notoriously early to airports. Now, I don't like this new boarding procedure because they hold all these slots (first 20) for "frequent flyers", but this may move me to another airline.

7. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fly JetBlue as often as I can. They're always cheaper than the big guys, not much more expensive than the real cheapies, leather seats, good leg-room, DirecTV and XM Radio... why would you fly anyone else?

The only time I've had a problem with them is flying out of JFK... but that's JFK.

Since I started using them like 3-4 years ago I've earned 5 free roundtrips anywhere they fly. Most of those were earned and subsequently used going from Long Beach to Dulles when I was stationed in San Diego, but had a girlfriend back in Maryland.

It was cheaper to drive to Long Beach, park there, and fly JetBlue then to fly Southwest from San Diego and pay their ridiculous parking.

I think my first Road Trip of the year will likely be the Home-Opener against TFC :D

I'm also looking at moving back up to DC or Baltimore next Summer... so you poor bastards might have to put up with me on a regular basis. Mwahhahahahha.

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I wish we had some discount airlines like in Europe, they have about 50 :/

9. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    [​IMG]

looks great...

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    we do, its called...

Planzair Aviation
    come fly the friendly skies (well at least as far as cumberland)
    :)

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    It's a air-shuttle arrangement!:)

12. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very convenient for those times when you need to get to Cumberland FAST. ;)

13. the mad saxon

the mad saxon New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bull s**t i can drive it in two hours. i used to live there and laugh at the thought of flying to c-land.:D

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    yes, we all laugh at paulie flying to C-land!

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Croatia Air is not discount airline :D

checked again, there's over 100 now lol

16. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skybus is a new airline that is based in Columbus, OH. They have $10 tickets on every flight if you book early enough. The downer is that the closest they fly into is Richmond. Great for the Richmonders.

Oh and their flights leave crazy early like 6am. Still, if you are jonesing for a DC game in Columbus and are dirt poor, it is a way to get there cheap.

17. Pops United

Pops United New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Section 137
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discount European Airlines: Read below, now I know why. From WikiTravel:

Ryanair is Europe's largest budget airline with 40.1 million passengers in 2006 making them Europe's 3rd largest airline and 14th in the world. Ryanair carries more international passengers than any other airline. Fares are priced as single segment one way trips. If you wish to change planes in a hub then you must book the two segments separately, and there is no transfer of baggage. You can book a return at the same time as the outbound but you get no discount for doing so. Ryanair charges a credit card fee of 2,50 Euro per Person and Segment with the exception of some Debit cards.. If you miss a second flight due to a delay in the earlier Ryanair flight, you will not get a refund for the missed flight and will be forced to buy a new ticket.

They screw up as in being late, you pay again. Some discount. (frankly, I'm surprised US carriers haven't thought of this.)

I do like the name of the Hungarian based airline, though. WIZZAIR.

18. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Well yes it's not super posh and they don't massage your feet on flight but it's cheap way to get around if you're just going for few days to see game 6 countries over :)

Bad part is they usually don't fly into main airport, can't have much bagage and things like that so if convinience is more important to money then they're not perfect.

19. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Lot 8, passed out
    Missing an inside (but not so inside) joke. I'll fill you in...

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ryanair would be sweet!

21. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be in europe in May and I just booked a ticket on RyanAir from Rome to Stockholm for 4 euro...you gotta love europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh

22. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Srdan, Chico, Paulie, Oscar, McOwen, Grillmaster and all the rest of the barra crew....shouldn't our first real road trip of 2008 be to Toronto? Those guys were cool to us last year and we're bringing the Barra to another country! Let's show them how it's done!.........lots of flags and the Houston smoke machine that is.

Josh

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It all depends on the schedule. We're definately going to Toronto but if Columbus is scheduled before Toronto then that's where we're headed first.

24. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Chico, Columbus for sure, nice and close...if the TFC game works out, my vote is to try and put something together for the whole Barra...not saying we're going to bus trip it but something organized? Anyone's thoughts?

Josh

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i would love to have the barra do something for toronto, but knowing the barra, now that you need a passport, most are too drunk to do that :)
    plus half the fun in toronto is going out fri and sat nights