19/20 Winter Transfer Window

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s atrocious that Cannon and Long are not going abroad. Hell, I don’t see why Lovitz and Zardes don’t go abroad either!

2. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree on Cannon. If he doesn't go this window, I could see him going the Kellyn Acosta route--gets disgruntled/injured, his plays drops, his window to draw serious Euro interest closes, and he gets traded to some 2nd tier MLS team for Garber bucks so that Dallas can bring through the next generation.

I'll be disappointed if Long doesn't go, but that's more understandable. He's already 27 and wasn't great this year for club or country. A lower-tier EPL or Bundesliga team might take a flier on him, but they're not going to offer serious money. And it's not worth it to RBNY to let a potential best XI CB go for a minimal offer.

nobody, truefan420 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy their not good enough.

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any countries/leagues outside of England that have rules allowing players with certain percentage of national team caps to bypass passport requirements for the bulk of their squad? I thought that was just an England thing.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Not that I know of but they're the ones who are willing to pay the most. Germany doesn't have limitations really.

Neither Long nor Cannon have the type of game that appeals to Spain or Italy.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said that the players with lots of national team caps shouldn't have a problem going anywhere. England is the only place where national team caps matter. I agree that Germany is a great option and is pretty accessible (in terms of being able to legally play there), but there are still significant limitations that a passport makes disappear.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Yes - if you are a good player who deserves to be on national teams, you can go any league.

look at Mexican players who are the same as the US wrt EU passports. They go to La Liga far more than US players while having the same passport issues so how can the passport issue be the case for us players and not Mexican?

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there has been a big misconception about why Acosta left FC Dallas in large fact because us FCD fans didn't want to drag his private life into the gutter. Let's just say personal problems were the biggest reason for the move. I'll also add Acosta does not have the top speed he had before those injuries a few years ago. Maybe some Rapids fans can tell whether he gets beat for pace still or whether he's back to his old self where only the real burners troubled him with pace.

I haven't heard any recent rumors about Cannon and hope he gets a Bundesliga offer as for now I see that league as the best fit for him. Question is has he been getting offers that FCD is refusing? I'd love to think Euro clubs see what I do but I have no idea. I do knor or at least think that FC Dallas has made him a decent offer and if he really wanted to stay they might make a better offer but they need players to play well and move on for their Academy model to work. So, I don't think they are the problem but could be wrong. I just don't get why a legitimate offer hasn't as I think he's better than a lot of right backs I see in other leagues.

largegarlic repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part if you're good enough, outside England, a club will find a way to get you on its books.

Even Bedoya got a Ligue 1 job despite their restrictions. The bar isn't that high.

Many foreign clubs have full time scouts in the states and they're mining the country for the next Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Weah, Reyna, etc.

So while I think Pomykal is a pretty good prospect, for a club to table a good offer he'll need to produce more than 2 goals/ 5 assists for his career. When a player passes on going the Euro academy route and gets into their 20's the requirement is to be good enough that a club will table a decent offer and sees you as a 1st teamer, not a development project.

DHC1 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Last season, Acosta's pace and quickness were noticeably off.

Bedoya moved to Ligue 1 from Sweden where he had been a strong performer, including in Europa League(2 goals) and in UCLQing.

11. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not going to get into where he stands on the blog....however, I will say it is very complicated. One criticism I will make of all the media types out there is the reporting. Reporting that Cannon has turned offers comes from I assume the club. The very same media makes a distinction between interest and actual offers with it comes from European clubs on players. I ask they hold Clubs to the same standard. Saying Cannon ask turned down a contract when he has never received one is bad reporting. If a player never sees a formal written offer.....I call that a big nothing. Talk. We can talk all day but until somebody gets something formal it does not count. They same thing with a European club, until they make a formal offer it is interest. Media should never write or say he has turned down anything if he has not been offered anything in writing from the club. Media should have their own standards for reporting. Now if FCD and Cannon’s long term goals don’t line up that is a different question.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #487 schrutebuck, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    West Ham have had an initial loan offer for USA international centre-back Aaron Long rejected by New York Red Bulls.

The Hammers made a $500,000 (£382,000) offer to loan Long until the end of the season with a $4.5m (£3.4m) option to buy him outright in the summer.

Long, who was named as Major League Soccer's Defender of the Year in 2018, was also the subject of interest from West Ham last summer, but the 27-year-old was unable to secure a work permit.

Speaking last summer, Long said: "As our biggest ally, it seems strange that a football player from the US can't automatically get a work visa to play in England.

"Every kid in the USA dreams of playing in the English Premier League. Not many players get the chance, so of course I would like to play there someday."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...nal-aaron-long-rejected-by-new-york-red-bulls

I'd be shocked if New York wants to loan Long. My guess is that they'd be willing to sell Long if West Ham boosts that price by 2-3 million pounds.

Also, I think Long has a pre-2016 perception of the most important allies to the US government.

Mahtzo1 and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB are going to play hardball but sell toward the end you figure. If he returns he won't be a content player, and we saw how that adversely effected his form after the midseason window closed.

Somewhat natural for a guy like Long to not be acted on until late. He'll not be the plan A for many, but an option and I think in the end they'd think it was a bargain like w/ Cameron.

Haven't heard much about Cannon. The most recent news was on Jan. 21 about FCD receiving some calls about him. Sounded very up in the air. Berhalter fulfilled the bare minimum requirement of getting him a WP. But he hurt his perception by playing Yedlin ahead of him in spite of performance. If he'd be higher on the depth chart than an EPL regular, you figure other EPL clubs would be offering, compelling a transfer. If it's Championship clubs, that's dicey because of the amount (even they spend some money), and MLS wanting to market themselves as sellers to only the bigger leagues.

When it comes to Pomykal, that was just bad luck due to injury. But overall there was a scaling down of USNT integration of MLS players w/ promise of transfers. Lima and Zimmerman's pt all of a sudden ceased. Zimmerman wasn't all that good, but Lima always performed. Between that, and not building much off Sarachan's work integrating, it's been disappointing from Gregg. That's not mentioning the force-fit style that Bedoya fairly maligned.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I heard on the grapevine that ManU will indeed get their ‘man’ over the coming days for between 60 and 65 million.. more than what they value him at ( 50 mill) but they need him .

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    wow.

There was some talk about Long going to the EPL and there are crickets on Cannon and (always unlikely) Pomykal.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    bummer if this is what Bobby wanted. He deserves a chance to play

Winoman and Dr.Phil repped this.
  17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bobby needs to sign for any damn team that will give him even a chance of seeing the pitch.

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He either needs to sign where he's going to play or just pocket another few million and call it a day. I wouldn't blame him either way. His big salary is what's keeping him from getting another gig, but I sure wouldn't give up 3 mil a year in the hopes of maybe getting a shot with the national team if the stars align. He can ride out his contract and retire in relative comfort whether he plays or not.

Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cannon will do fine playing USMNT for a low imagination intellect like Berhalter. If Cannon wants to go abroad he should check out how Polster is playing for Gerrard at Rangers. If I had my druthers I would put Cannon at rcb and Dest at rwb and see how it works. I have my doubts but it wouldn't be out of the question.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given they dealt Kemar Lawrence for a measly 1.25 million, you have to think they'd do the same for Long if he and his agent were insistent upon it.

But he sounds oddly accepting of NY declining all transfer offers now, if that's what it comes to. Which is about 90 degrees from his attitude last midseason where he was disgruntled.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Woah.... polster got on the field. He has 350 mins in all competitions over the last year with over a third of them in the last week.

Excellency repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It makes you wonder what exactly it would take to complete the deal. In effect, the offer was for $5M (assuming the deal was completed) but it also significantly reduces the risk and cost to RBNY. At the end of the summer, RBNY has to begin the season without one of their key players for minimal guaranteed return ($500k). In the meantime, RBNY has to replace Long with a long term solution or a stop gap without being sure if he will return halfway through the season. An actual transfer right now would be far easier for RBNY to deal with and I wonder if $5M might be enough? Perhaps it is the Loan vs Transfer that is the main sticking point?

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well this is shaping up to be one of the more disappointing transfer windows.