19/20 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yep.

Sarri "logic".

Kid hasn't played any games, sooo....he isn't fit to play any games.

he needs to send him down to the Primavera and let him get some games.

2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    #202 juveeer, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Over and over and over again.

We went out to Ajax last year the same way.

BTW, without Chiellio we are isht on ANY set piece.

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    If I had been offered a draw here prior to the game, esp. the way we have been playing lately, I would have been happy with the point.

But the way we got that point is very troubling.

We need to beat the other 2 teams twice now.

4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This is 2 years in a row.

With Giorgio out and no Buffon, we have no one to organize that defense on set pieces.

The coaching needs to be better.

And....I still think BonBon and MdL are NOT a good combo if we are going 4 in the back. The Turk would be a better match with either than both of them together.

Sarri needs to work HARD on this cause if we don't tighten up the back we will not win anything.

5. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We look like Arsenal on set pieces the last 2 years.

My Gawd!

6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We were lucky they didn't get a couple of more goals on corners. There were at lest 2 where they had essentially free headers they out over the bar.

This has to change pronto.

7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    BTW, we were a lot more dynamic and unpredictable once Dybala came on.

Higgy needs to take a seat and let that kid play. Gonzalo has done nothing the last 2 games except take up space.

Sami appears to be our most important player. When he is on, we do well. As soon as he goes off, we go to isht. One of the new MFs needs to step up and take over.

BTW, btw, we certainly could use Can on this CL roster now that we have 1 FB. He can play as a FB, a CB, a defensive mid and even an attacking mid. He and Cuadrado are the only jack-of-several-trades players we have and Can is a much better RB than either Danilo or Cuadrado. He should have been on the roster.

Falc repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They should look at the tapes of Ajax from last season on how to get the spacing right. de Ligt is really good at getting free on set plays and Ronaldo is as well. Spend some time on the training ground. there is no excuse for wasting opportunities to score.

juveeer repped this.
  9. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Zonal marking has shown now to be the more effective system. Juve were less zone oriented last year and still gave up set pieces.

10. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    It was a very good high level match between two big teams. It's too bad that Juve threw away a pretty solid performance due to a lack of concentration on set pieces. At least this is happening now rather than after March.

Juve played a fantastic 2nd half in particular in large part because Higuain and Cuadrado drastically improved after a crap 1st half. Cuadrado kept losing possession while Higuain went missing. Once they started to play positively, the entire team lifted.

Bonucci and De ligt made so many clearances from open play. They completely nullified Atleti in the 2nd until the stupid set pieces. It's unfortunate.

Overall, it's disappointing yet a result that improves on Juve's past trips to Atleti. Much better than last year or when Conte faced them there.

phat repped this.
  11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let me teach some of you an important point. Stop listening to the so called experts on TV or those who write on rags. Stop listening to terms that have no meaning and think it does. Watch the game instead. If anyone thinks that Juve was zonal marking on that corner kick, which was in the 90th minute, then you have no clue about the game. We had 10 players who just occupied space. And that is another thing, zonal marking is not for set plays, it is about tactics & formation. So if you are a left back, your zone is that left flank and whoever comes running down your zone. You pick him up. Contrast to man marking where you were assigned a player to pick up and be responsible for. In theory, Gentile was a right back for gli Azzurri. Against Argentina, his job was to mark Maradona regardless of where he was on the pitch. That is the difference between man marking and zonal marking. Either way, if you do not mark anyone, then you are not defending. There was no defending on that corner kick that lost us a point. So please, do not mention zonal marking as if it is suppose to explain our stupidity.

calabrese8 and cizko repped this.
  12. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say this every year...if we want to win CL we have to be able to do some things as a minimum and that is be lethal on set pieces and counters...which we are not. Its not everything...we need to do more, but at least these things are signs of a dangerous team. When games are tight deadlock and you dont get many chances, you gotta punish them in counters or set pieces

In defense i dont get why we cant figure out defending crosses that come into the box. We are one of the tallest teams

13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Zonal marking is a term that is now used for set pieces and has been analyzed statistically. It has shown to be more effective than man marking on corners for example. It has nothing to do with TV commentary but evidence on hand for coaches to do what they want with. Sarri is just picking the style of set piece defending that yields the highest probability of success over an entire season.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2007.pdf

As for what Juve were doing on those specific plays, I agree that they were just occupying space and were too passive. I'm confident that the players will improve once they have mastered it after 30-40 games come March/April.

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Please, you sound foolish quoting bullshit from so called experts. There was no zonal marking on that corner and no, it is not more effective. That is why we see such easy goals on set pieces. We had 6 guys just standing in the goal area. The corner kick went beyond that goal area and we had no players to defend it. It was the 90th minute. Every player needs to be on a body to make sure that a clean header does not happen like it did. I played defender most of my career. I know all too well what went wrong yesterday.

15. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So you like Ajax and Juventus and lemme guess, your spanish team is Barcelona

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually it is Eibar. My only regret was not buying a couple of shares in the club when they were promoted several years ago and needed to raise money to participate in La Liga!! 2nd fave is Athletic Club of Bilbao for their Basque player only policy.

17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Isn't it incumbent on the keeper to organize and position his defenders for corners as well as a free kick?
    Exactly. There's more than stopping shots and distribution to the goalkeeper's job.

18. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a shame Ajax can't hold on to their best anymore, they'd be a powerhouse again and it's be great to see

juveeer repped this.
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Should be Bonucci as he is not only the captain but the leader of the defense.

20. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    "captain" "leader"

21. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    It was defended poorly because the players failed to execute and were too passive not because zonal marking on corners isn't effective. It is. It's been proven. There is at least 10 years of data to support it. Now are teams exploiting deficiencies in this style of defending corners and will this change the future effectiveness? Sure that's absolutely possible and quite likely. We will see how it evolves.

With that said, Juve were conceding corners in whatever system they have been employing for the last 12 months or so. They haven't been good enough whether man-to-man (De ligt goal that KO last year) or yesterday in what ended up as a poorly executed zonal orientation. I'm confident that over time this will improve. Top teams don't usually concede as often as Juve do from set pieces so perhaps it will just average itself out at the very least.

juveeer repped this.
  22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Did you watch the game? Did you see the goal? Stop quoting zonal marking as if it meant anything on that play. There was NO marking. It was just players standing around. Zonal marking has players responsible for space and those around them. That was not the case yesterday. So stop this useless argument. And come on, statistics? Stats are used to advance an argument/theory. It is a game, not a science. There is one way to defend. That is to mark someone. Whether that is set up by designated marks or by zone, bottom line is that standing in space does not cut it.

juveeer repped this.
  23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should never be any zonal marking on a set piece in the box. Man to man marking is how it should be.

24. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    If we are going to "defend" like that, we need to go back to putting men on both posts.

I saw Pjanic on the post earlier in the game. If his substitute was there in the 92nd, that ball does not go in.

25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know a lot of you will disagree and say they aren’t “juve quality” but I’d sure sacrifice some “quality” to have my old Juve back that actually played with a backbone and core of Italian players. We’ve lost our identity.

Falc repped this.