18/19 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jun 6, 2018.

1. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    does that mean the mighty Kalinic is going to start vs us if Costa is out? :ROFLMAO:

2. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what happened to Napoli? :p

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    They went to Europa League, did you not see? or is this a joke?

soji22 repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The only difference between Juve and Athletico are their kits. Clash of the 1-0 titans.

5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #TrollMachine

6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    ?????

7. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #757 Buffonfan, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Worst nightmare draw for me. Juventus and Atletico, 2 two most stubborn team. Out of all the Europeans teams, Atletico has the most of an Italy-style of playing.

The more I think about this, the more I'm worry. It hard to guess Atletico style and their tactics at each match.
    Juventus against them,--I feel that it will all come down to tactical, which coach have the best tactics will win. And yeah, luck will play a little part in it too.

And I don't think we will see alot of goals at. all. Probably just like 1-0 at each leg. Heck, I can even see them tie, going to overtime, and still tie and resort come down to penalty kicks.

Part of me is worry, but part of me tell me that somehow, somehow Ronaldo and Mandzukic will get that one goal to send us through. But man, I'm still worry.

I like both teams tbh, it sucks that one of this two greatteam 1 will have to get knock out. I want to see them both go through. If it must come down to this (must be Juventus vs Atletico), I rather see it settle in the semi-final instead of the 16/knockout stage.

I'm a Italy soccer fan, the national team, even if Italy never qualify for a World Cup again, I still support Italy. I just want to see Italy soccer do well.
    I actually want to see all 4 of our clubs, Juventus, Napoli, Inter Milan, Roma all go through (too bad, we lost 2). I don't care which club win, as long as it an 'Italy' club, because to me, Italy soccer do good is above all.

Ofcourse I want to see Juventus win.

I'm just so worry, why why? why it must be Atletico out of all the teams? Hic.

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    UEspagne, that's why.

9. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I agree 100%. And yeah its very possible to go to penalties, or maybe even a decision on away goals. We really must try to get an away goal at Atletico.

And yes part of my mind says that Ronaldo and Mandzukic will find a way to score, and another part of me tells me to worry. It is a really tough game against two great teams. We also need to watch out for Griezmann. He is not Ronaldo, but is a good player that is really good at taking advantage of defensive mistakes.

Let's face it though, we have the better team ON PAPER clearly. Allegri is a smart tactician and gets his tactics right about 85% of the time. Simeone is a great tactician as well, but I have faith since we have the better team on paper we should edge it by a very little bit.

The funny thing is that last time we faced Atletico they beat us 1-0 in Spain, and we drew them at home, but the circumstances were much different. It was still the group stage. Pirlo was missing in the game we lost, and Atletico were strong favorites at that time. During that time, we were regarded as a mediocre European team at best and we were almost 50-50 in whether we could even get out of our group, and if so, we were favorites to get knocked out in Round of 16. Atletico was a team that was in the UCL final the season before as well as La Liga Champions the year before over Real and Barcelona. Now its almost the opposite of who is the favorite. When we faced them at home, I believe there was cautious play from both teams because we could have not advanced had we lost, and had Atletico lost by more then a goal, they could have lost first place in the group. So I believe both teams played very cautiously and it ended in a 0-0 draw due to conservative play from both teams. At around that time even me and most Juventus fans did not even think about reaching the UCL last 4, let alone the final. Mandzukic was also on the other team back then, LOL.

However back to this season, I know we have looked quite vulnerable in the past games, but I believe we will be a much better team and look like a champion by the time February comes. That is usually when we start to hit peak. The fact that we will be playing a big team, motivates the players even more. I have honestly never seen us look terrible against a big team in the time of Allegri with the exception of the 2016-17 final against Real Madrid second half, and our opening game against Barcelona last season in UCL group stage.

The other thing is that I cannot remember a time in Juventus history when we were eliminated to a La Liga team in a 2 legged tie except for Real Madrid last season.

Buffonfan and soji22 repped this.
  10. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our downfall would be if Allegri goes to Madrid to get a tie. We can absolutely beat these guys in their home and we should go for the win. They might be a tough team but nowhere near as dangerous as they were when we faced them in 2014 or 2015 when we lost 1-0

11. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You are right. Allegri needs to be bold and go to Madrid looking to attack Atletico. If Juve can get the win the first leg, then I don't see Los Rojiblancos getting anything in the return leg in Turin. The big question at this point is whether Allegri is confident enough to go for the win in Spain. We've seen him drop the ball in the Champions League before so I hope history doesn't repeat itself. The difference between this Atletico team and the one that got to the finals of 2014 and 2016 is that they've given up some of their defensive solidity and organization for more flair and goalscoring ability. Like someone said eaelier, Griezmann may not be Ronaldo, but he definitely has the ability to capitalize on mistakes in the final third. This will be a tough affair, but in the end, I see us going through.

Daei_10, gumbacicc and juveeer repped this.
  12. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Its about time this team put the CL first. Dybala in an interview:

“The Champions League is the main objective for us this season and we’ll do everything we can to win it"

Frankly, this is something the club should have been saying years ago.

Juve needs to grab the CL by the balls and squeeze, let's ********ing win this thing once and for all

gumbacicc repped this.
  13. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Bayern 2016 screw up, we have had at least 5-6 more devastating games and each time it seems to get worse. Lets hope Allegri really has learned his lesson. Going out at this stage of CL this year would be a royal disaster. (no pressure)

14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Maybe, but let's face facts.

We could easily go out to Atleti. They were the worst possible draw for us in this round. So naturally we got them.

15. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sorry, but if we lose to Atletico we have no business in the CL.

gumbacicc and scirea6 repped this.
  16. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Or at least certainly no business believing we should be considered among the favorites...

juventino13 and gumbacicc repped this.
  17. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope Chiellini and Bonucci are back for CL. I don't want to see Rugani near the first team. He had his chances. Selling Caldara to Milan was a mistake.

18. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    And selling Benatia was terrible too. I sincerely hope Chiellini will be back. Bonucci we might be able to deal with, but certainly not both of them.

19. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiellini, Bonucci, Benatia, Pjanic, Khedira have cost us important CL games...we'll be fine with Rugani if we survived theirs.

20. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I can't think of a worse opponent for Juve to face in the CL right now matchup wise. Atalanta and Lazio just physically dominated Juve. I have no doubt in my mind that Atletico will try to do the same to this Juve.

Juve simply need to get Mandzukic, Chiellini, Bonucci, Pjanic, and Cancelo (who is still half fit) healthy within the month otherwise it will be near impossible to beat an opponent like Atleti.

Afghan-Juventus and juveeer repped this.
  21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    They were the worst possible draw we could have gotten out of the teams we could have been matched up with.

And that was BEFORE all the injuries!

And they now have Morata also.

22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let's notify UEFA that we will forfeit the tie.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that means they'll be playing a man down the entire game?

juveeer repped this.
  24. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    HaHa.

People can complain about him but he scored for us, he scored for madrid and he scored for Spain. He has also scored against us. He is another speedy weapon that Chollo can use.

Of course we are not forfeiting but pointing out we got the worst possible draw is legitimate and if we have to play with the 2 "CBs" we finished with yesterday we are in deep doo doo.

Oh and if you thought Atalanta is physical and dirty, wait till we step on the filed with them. The only worse team we have played in recent years was that Benfica team which started falling all over the filed and time wasting in minute 1 of the first leg.

25. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Atletico was the worst opponent given they play a style that Juve have struggled the most against.

Despite that I'd still favor a fully healthy Juve vs anyone aside from Barca. The problem is that with three weeks to go, major players will likely be missing. It's not impossible, but very tough.