131st IFAB AGM

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SouthRef, Mar 3, 2017.

1. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://theifab.com/news/131st-agm-agrees-fairer-game-strategy

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...869130.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

I haven't have had the chance to go through this in detail, however this stood out to me:

"The ‘success’ of the change from a red to yellow card for a penalty awarded for the denial of a goal-scoring opportunity if there was an attempt to play the ball, led the members to extend the principle by removing a yellow card for a penalty kick awarded for a ‘stopping a promising attack’ if the offence was an attempt to play the ball."

I'm not sure that I like the new direction that the IFAB is taking here.

fairplayforlife repped this.
  2. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Looks like they will allow the national federations to make additional modifications for lower levels of play (which I suppose was happening already, just without IFAB's/FIFA's permission).

"Sin bins" for lower level games will also be allowed.

Sounds like changes in future years will deal with handling and KFTM.

3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Even though not official, hasn't this been pretty much already implemented in most leagues? I know in MLS and the EPL they pretty much stopped giving cautions on penalty kick fouls prior to the DOGSO change. It was red or nothing.

I genuinely don't remember the last time I saw a caution on a penalty kick foul no matter how reckless or tactical the foul was on an MLS game.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really just codifying (?--I only presume codifying because haven't seen where and how the principle will be extended) what FIFA referees have been being taught for awhile now. I'm actually glad to have that clarification... presuming it's actually clarified in a document, of course.

The devil is always in the details and we'll have to wait to see what written changes come, but I fear the change that could have the biggest effect on most here will be the temporary sin bins. The IFAB and FIFA are saying they are okay for youth matches. That's exactly the sort of thing I could see DA wanting to experiment with.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Toledo giving one on a shirt pull in a 2015 match. But that possibly could have been more under the "blatant" clause than the SPA clause. Pretty sure a few goalkeepers who escaped DOGSO have also been shown yellows for penalties (prior to the DOGSO change, obviously). Nonetheless, while there have been some, they are very rare, and your point is a good one.

6. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    On the flip side, a few years back pretty much every penalty in a UEFA match earned an automatic yellow.

7. Nat682

Nat682 Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What success?! That change has been a complete failure and detriment to the game. It only causes players to make more contact with the feet and legs instead of hands, which is significantly more dangerous. If you deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity, you have cheated and insulted the game of soccer, and you deserve to be sent off and suspended for the next game. I see absolutely no justification for changing DOGSO from a red to a yellow, nor for removing the yellow card for a tactical foul in the PA. Has IFAB had too much to drink? This is ridiculous.

8. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    If you dive to win a penalty, you "have cheated and insulted the game of soccer."
    If you foul someone to deny an obvious scoring opportunity? You've committed a tactical foul. Not exactly sure why anyone would see it as anything more offensive than that.

cmonref repped this.
  9. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On re-reading this, it didn't really say as much as I thought it did. Apparently, that's what happens when I try to post at work...