10/28 - Seattle : LA - MARRUFO

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Bradley Smith, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Might as well setup for the next match...

MLS Playoffs - Western Conference - Knockout Round

Seattle Sounders v Los Angeles Galaxy
    CenturyLink Field (10:00pm EDT)
    REF: JAIR MARRUFO
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Juan Guzman

2. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 ChelseaSounder, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Typical Marrufo match for me. Thought there were some early challenges that could have been punished more harshly, but probably not in the playoffs. Probably could have added a minute or two to the posted stoppage time based on Frei wasting time and Evans injury. Otherwise, just a "let em play" type of match.

Wanted to ask about the waved off goal in 74th minute. Looked like Marrufo waived off Rockwells call but then after the goal was scored, they went back to the call. The Spanish announcers in the link below seem to be saying that (based on what I remember from high school). Can anyone translate?

If only they had parents yelling out "play the whistle" they could have avoided all this.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/...ike-ref-waved-play-on-before-ivanschitzs-goal

Edit: here's the Instant Replay clip: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/29/why-was-ivanschitz-goal-called-back-seattle-instant-replay

The early fouls, after watching them again are harder than I recall. the Leonardo, Gerrard, and Gonzalez fouls could all have been reds.

Also, definite offside on the Valdez goal, but it was bang bang and Not his whole body. Easy to see with the freeze frame (which is about a frame late in the clip), but probably not going to get that one every time.

3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I would have to see a better screen shot to 100% agree with Borg on the offside call with respect to Valdez. That screen shot isn't at the exact time the ball is kicked. It already appears to be traveling forward.

They ultimately got the call "right" with respect to Dempsey being offside.
    But did they wait too long to actually be able to legitimately call it back? It wasn't bang bang. Play continued on for a reasonable amount of time considering the play.
    https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/ndbr.webm
    From the moment you see him wave the flag down its almost 7 seconds until the shot. And he doesn't even wave it down immediately.

It was horribly handled by Marrufo. Would he have even called it back if not for the Galaxy players swarming the AR and him?

It appears the play was very well handled by Corey Rockwell though.

I wonder if Marrufo thought the ball came off Keane? Thus the wave down. It then took him awhile to actually make up his mind on what to do.

4. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    That was my assumption...and it's really the only explanation that makes any sense.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since play had not been restarted since the offside occurred, the referee is empowered by Law 5 to disallow the goal and award the indirect free kick for the offside offense, having received additional information from the assistant referee.

It could have been 5 minutes of Seattle passing the ball back and forth and the option would still be on the table.

Lucky Wilbury, sjquakes08 and jarbitro repped this.
  6. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    ty for the response