1-32: FIFA World Cup qualification timeline

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Fuera del Area, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Australia beating Honduras wouldn't be a surprise, but Australia outclassing Honduras over both legs, including away from home, is perhaps suggestive. Whether Honduras is 4th or 5th or 6th in Concacaf, they are still a Concacaf side which generally is able to give the top teams in Concacaf a run for their money and has finished among the top 4 in Concacaf twice in a row.

To be sure, all the evidence would need to be put together in one package to make any judgment on the comparative strength of Concacaf v AFC, but certainly this part of the equation doesn't look good for Concacaf.

+PL+ repped this.
  2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    CONCACAF is heavier at the top while the AFC is slightly deeper.

3. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's really curious to defend CONCACAF against Asia in calling it "Concacrap" but let's take your argument.

Okay for the US being above (when they play at home), but who else would take the 5th place? Jamaica? Canada?

Other than that, the likes of T&T, Guatemala, Haiti or El Salvador are far below to me. Or maybe, considering the number of French Caribbean players wearing blue shirts (Varane, Coman, Martial...), you actually think about France? :p

+PL+ repped this.
  4. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think AFC and CONCACAF are pretty equal. I would say the tiers go like this.
    Tier 1: CONMEBOL and UEFA
    Tier 2: CAF
    Tier 3: AFC and CONCACAF
    Tier 4: OFC

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I saw their whole match and Australia's best player, and definitively whom decided the match, between them both, was the referee (Pitana).

Not only gave australian players license to kill (the player Ellis from Australia should have been sent off at the 2nd minute of the match after almost breaking an opponents foot in a reckless and dangerous action, and Jedinak was involved in lots of other similar plays, of which in one of them, forced Honduras to make an undesired substitution later on, that didn't even meant him, a yellow). But also gave 2 penalty kicks to Australia (of its 3 goals scored), of which the first of them, never touched any Honduras players hand, as how the referee said it did (yes, one of their hands was very close to the ball in a very un-natural position, but it didn't touch the ball with it, which is what should be called and not sole intentions; and least of all, he shouldn't call it after 2 diferent actions take place after it, which meant no one in the match, really understanding what he was calling)

Australia did seem superior, and probably would have won anyway, but with the help a a bad referee, it gets lots easier to do so.

6. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Russians love ice hockey, I don't know if they love it more than football, but it might be a close second.
    It is probably the team sport where they have the best record.
    Yet, in Sochi 2014 ("Their" Olympics), in front of Putin, they couldn't pass the first round in this sport, which has much less depth at international level than football.
    So russia doing well in their World Cup is definitely not a guarantee, unless of course you know something we don't.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well, to make it even, the "C" at the end of AFC, must stand for pretty much the same ....
    :p

I believe (personal opinion), Jamaica is a better team than theirs, whom unfortunately was in a tougher preliminary group (where both Costa Rica and Panama qualified to the final hex, from), together with the fact they were going through a bad moment of time when they played it (happens all the time to diferent teams), reasons why they didn't get through to the final hexagonal in Concacaf.

Metropolitan repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Historically the first part of that is true but I'm not so sure anymore. At the very least the gap has closed to the point where the heaviness at the top for CONCACAF is offset by its shallower depth.

That's why I think AFC has caught-up to CONCACAF (but I may change my mind in 7 months :p )

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    To me, it's lots more simple :

Top tier : Uefa and Conmebol

Bottom tier : everybody else......

10. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA can force teams to play home games in neutral territory for other reasons, can't they do the same here?

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nothing stops N.Z fans to do the same in reverse

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    FIFA has no jurisdiction to make a team play somewhere else in this situation.

It is not like it happened at a stadium or at any furbol/FIFA related area.

It happened in a public place and that is up to the local authorities. And they probably turn a blind eye to it and laughed.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Peru dirty tricks are starting to get a bit much.

The NZ chartered jet was put in a holding pattern for so long that they had to go to Chile to refuel.
    The NZ bus traveled at a third of the speed limit on an empty motorway so that and the delayed landing meant that a 9pm arrival time turned into 2am.
    The Peru supporters were up all night last night letting off fireworks outside the NZ hotel and Shamans have been cursing the NZ flag and players.
    The Peru government sent fighter jets to buzz the NZ hotel in the wee hours of the morning as well.

+PL+ and Mani repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fireworks are standard in SA for big games. Typically Libertadores. But nothing that a good set of earbuds can't take care of. The other stuff is pretty bad if true.

18. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, shamans... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the jungle (Conmebol).

jagum repped this.
  19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Uruguay did similar shit to us in 2001, so in 2005 we stayed across the river in Argentina and came in for game day.

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time since 1982.

22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Welcome Peru to the World Cup!!!!:thumbsup::):D

Bye New Zeland

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol. this member, rickdog, blames AFC for chile not making it, then disappeared for a few weeks. now he is back again and making wild claims such as the ref deciding the australia honduras game. australia deserved to go through man. i dont know what you have against AFC. it is not AFCs fault that chile did not make it. give it a rest.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uruguay has three players of "legend" status at present: Suarez, Cavani and Godin. Croatia has two: Modric and Rakitic.

However, I agree that Croatia produces one of the highest levels of elite athletes per capita.

25. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I know that Mandzukic might not be a golden ball contender lol but he won champions league finals and played the final with 2 different clubs won italian league german league...he is a warrior for la vecchia signora Juventus.

But Glad you admit it is not 3 times more then :D

My point was especially to say that Uruguay and Croatia both produces football talents in spite of their populations but Croatia being involved in a lot of sports they have much less people focused on football than in Uruguay.