08/4: Mr. 100: FCD vs San Jose [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Aug 2, 2018.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2018-8-2_16-30-28.jpeg

Game: FC Dallas vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Date: Saturday, August 4th
    Time: 7:00 PM [CST]
    Location: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 97, L 75
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Last 5 For Opponent: D-L-L-L-D [All Competitions]
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW] | NBC Sports California Plus [Bay Area] | ESPN+ [Out of Market]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

San Jose has not won a game against a team not named Minnesota United FC since September 30, 2017. The last away game they won against a team not named Minnesota United FC was against us on May 20, 2017 :eek:.

Parjea will have his 100th MLS win if we beat San Jose.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a reminder that San Jose made the playoffs on the final day of the last year at FCD’s expense largely because FCD gave up a late tying goal in San Jose and a late winning goal in Frisco.

So, uh, finish the job this time, guys.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I’m already bumming a little because ESPN+ will likely carry the San Jose feed for this game, which has the most unlistenable homers in Major League Soccer television.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No letups. As Lindstrom used to say kill the baby seal.

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dangerfield and what's-his-name, yeah you aren't wrong. Please do the San Jose fans a favor and push your team to crush the ever-living shit out of us so our "coach" will get shitcanned along with our dumbass GM.

6. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of embarrassed that it took me a while to figure out who that is in the photo.

Beerking and burning247 repped this.
  7. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Actually, they beat Galaxy 3-0 away on August 27 last year. Just a slight correction. ;)

burning247 repped this.
  8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd like to see Pomykal start here. Low pressure, terrible opponent and Pareja needs to rotate some. Just like I'd like to see Hayes get a start. I know Ulloa/Gruezo, have been good but Hayes played well in the past and from reports has trained hard in practice. That needs to be rewarded too.

TCS35 repped this.
  9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good catch. Glad it was them instead of us!

10. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    same 11 as last week. Badji not yet in the 18.

will add that including Pom means a formation change. He's not the guy you put in as a deep lying mid. They're playing a 4-4-1-1 and I'm not sure that's a correct fit for him, unless you want to dump him out wide - which not sure helps him much.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am happy to report that those of us watching on ESPN+ are getting Messrs. Followill and Davis.

Sadly, it's 2-1 Quakes right now.

12. GaSarge

GaSarge Member

FC Dallas, Liverpool, Bayern Munich,
    United States
    Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope Maurer gets a game or two for this one, because Jesse left a fat, stinky one on this night!

13. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  14. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    1) Can we stop talking about 20 goal strikers and find a goalkeeper who doesn't fluctuate between "great" and "terrible" every other game? Sorry to offend anyone, but Jesse will never be MLS Cup winning quality.
    2) Can we just sign Hyka and sell him immediately to another league just so we don't have to play him again?
    2) Oscar got the tactics all wrong, why try to play the same system from SKC away against the worst team in the league at home? It worked last week because we locked it in and hit on the counter, we didn't do that tonight and the midfield got exposed as a result.
    3) Colman is a sack of sh*t, get him out of here. USL quality striker at best. I feel really bad for Pax to not get minutes over him.

This was so depressing. Seattle away next too, ugh. This is going to be hard to stomach.

Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  15. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing, no, embarrassing that FCD can’t beat a horrific team. Not surprising though. Lately it seems like San Jose always gets a result here.

You have to feel bad for San Jose though, they can’t seem to get rid of their coach.

Colman needs to go. Absolutely useless. Open header 5ft. from goal, maybe closer, and can’t even get it on frame.

Jesse also needs to sit for a while. Every game he makes questionable decisions to come out. It cost the team tonight.

16. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the annual collapse begins.

-SD

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FCD doesn't win the Supporters Shield, you can look back at tonight's game. Their two main competitors, Atlanta and NYCFC were each held to a point at home, and instead of capitalizing on that, FCD decides to lay an egg at home.

Jesse reminded us about the occasional downside to young goalkeepers: They occasionally do "young goalkeeper" things.

Cristian Colmán responded to the Badji acquisition and his impending push further down the depth chart by... showing very clearly why the Badji acquisition was necessary. If tonight was his swansong, I won't be surprised in the least.

Speaking of Badji, in retrospect, sliding him into the 18 tonight might not have been a bad idea. Kellyn's already playing in his second match for Colorado and has just scored in his second straight match for Colorado. No pressure, Dominique, but I think your honeymoon period in Frisco just got cancelled.

18. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Even worse: he couldn’t even get his head on the ball to even try to get it on frame. At least there was a time when he could make contact with the ball and direct the thing towards the vicinity of the goal. Now he can’t even find the ball. He has regressed. Allowing him to travel to Seattle would indicate that he continues to make the 18 because he has blackmail material on someone. That can be the only valid reason.

19. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yes, he is young, but so what? Does that excuse the fact that he still makes bonehead errors he was making 3 years ago and hasn't progressed much in that time? Sure, he has the odd great game here and there but by and large, he is not consistent enough to merit being a starter here. Not if we really have bigger ambitions. And are we going to stick with him between the pipes until he's in 30s in hope that he'll eventually cut these mistakes out and be a solid, consistent keeper for us? I hope we aren't.

I'm not looking to scapegoat him for the loss tonight because the whole team didn't play well, but how long is he gonna stay the #1 here based on talent alone when he isn't consistent enough to deserve the spot? Unfortunately (or fortunately for him) we don't have someone like Seitz anymore because he'd be going straight back to the bench for the rest of the season after performances like this one, just as he did in 2016.

20. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You cannot have three consistently bad scorers in the lineup at the same time. Barrios on the wing isn't a scorer this season. Tesho has never been a scorer and Urruti is mired in an awful slump. All three are a recipe for what we got tonight. Wastefulness galore. I don't know if the Ghanan winger is the answer. I don't know if Hollingshead is an answer at winger. I don't even know if Pomykal would be effective out there but this combo at home is not and should never be seen again. Oh and accept defeat, eat the money but please find a taker for Coleman, even if it's just a loan. He's terrible.

I want to root for Gonzalez but man that was horrendous. He needs to find the bench next week too. Dropping points happens but it should not happen to the worst team in the league at home. Pareja needs to do better than this.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, that was bad.

On one hand, I don't want to overreact to a bad night. As Pareja said, we're not the best team in the league when we win games on the road (like Spork) and we're not the worst team in the league when we lose to SJ....at home.

That being said, Jesse did himself no favors with that performance. The formation was all wrong and very ineffective. The finishing was horrid. Colman needs to never see a spot on this team again. I would be frustrated with him on my over-30 league team, let alone leading the line of the Western Conference leader.

The fears I had about this team came to light last night. I know they have the ability to "find a way" to win a lot of games; but what about playoffs? Really hope Badji and Aranguiz can inject some life into our attack.

22. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    You should never have thrown in that bit about them not having an away game outside of Minnesota since last year. Asking for us to lose once you did that. :D

Every team has these stinkers every year, but not often against the worst team in the league at home. And as much as I admire Oscar's work, he can get it very wrong tactically at times, even in decisive games. That's my main concern going into the post-season. That's why I'm not such a fan of heavy rotation, we need to find our best XI by late October if we're seriously going to challenge for the MLS Cup.

23. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    it was a different formation. SKC was a 4411, this was back to a 4-2-3-1and later pivoted to a 4-4-1-1. reason? The SKC formation is designed to be defend and counter, last night's should push wide mids forward and create a better attacking force. SJ simply came out and played higher and more possessing than anticipated.

while last night was silly and embarrassing - everyone should wait and see how Badji's speed changes things. It does solve a problem this team has.

If you want to worry - concern yourself with Cannon's late injury and Mosquera's injury... losing the former for a length of time creates interesting issues for Pareja.

Oh, and they go to SEA next, where they haven't won in forever - which means they will win 11-0. #MLS

24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse is and always has been a shot-stopper... and not much else. His positioning, control of the defense, footwork, distribution, etc. are all -- while maybe not terrible -- not great, either. That's why I always preferred Seitz over him. Seitz was better-than-average at everything, but a far less spectacular shot-stopper. As Gonzalez gets older and his ability to stop shots deteriorates, he's got to develop the other skills. He seems like he has the potential. Goalkeepers, by and large, take awhile to develop, though.

Colman is where promising plays go to die. Seriously, what does he bring to the team? Urruti is a workhorse even when he's not scoring. Tesho is versatile and seems to have an eye for the game even when he's not scoring (which is usually). Barrios is an effective playmaker. All three of them put in solid blue-collar work for 90 minutes, but Colman's got nothing. How is he still making the 18?

All that being said, Tesho, Urruti, and Barrios all had decent chances to score and failed to do so. SJ's last goal was basically garbage time after FCD had been blasting shots all over the park and failing to score.

25. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Colmán has become an interesting study into how we got here. Remember, this is a guy who had a bidding war going on at the time for his rights when FCD won them - which a cynic would wonder if that wasn't just a ruse to goof Dallas into more money on a guy everyone down there new was the soccer version of a salvage car from the Houston hurricane.

But let's say the bidding war was legit. What happened to his talent, did it get lost by the airline on his way up to DFW? Serious, I'm not sure I can recall a player in MLS who was acquired with a 7 figure transfer fee who after a season and half doesn't possess basic pro level soccer skills. I think most of us wanted to assume with time his nerves, or whatever would pass, his dam would burst and he'd start regularly (even irregularly) net goals.

Between the embarrassments of the missed header (and by missed, not just the goal, but his entire head!) and later, the turnover by the touch line which I'm pretty sure most rec U15's would have accomplished, I've come to the conclusion he's just toast.

Which then gets us to the question of: How did FCD come to decide he was the guy to buy? What the process of scouting him? A peek of his resume and stats at the time told us he wasn't a particularly rising or consistent star. We can wince or poke fun at his large file of awful finishing and awkward touches - but maybe there is a legit story to be told of how the club and player got to this point.

SabreKhan repped this.