06/10: While The Cat's Away: Portland vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Jun 9, 2017.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2017-6-9_22-29-50.jpeg

Game: Portland Timbers vs FC Dallas
    Date: Saturday, June 10th
    Time: 9:30 PM [CST]
    Location: Providence Park, Portland, Oregon, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Thunderstorm; H 61, L 50
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Last 5 for Opponent: W-L-L-D-L
    Record & Standing of Opponent: 6-5-3 | 21 pts | 4th in the West (9th overall)
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW]; fcdallas.com [DFW]; Direct Kick/MLSLive [Out of Market]
    Radio: KWRD 100.7 FM [English]; KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

Tough place to play. We've got the confidence back but still are missing key pieces. I'll take a draw.

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Lamah hasn't used up all the mojo from the last game. We are missing quite a few key pieces, but if the past is any indication Pareja is a master of using a few odds and ends to make a piece of art.

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atiba Harris just let Fanendo Adi waltz in behind him without even attempting to mark him on Adi's goal. Grana was coming back way late. Hume looks slow and bewildered back there in the first half. Hedges can't get back soon enough.

I don't know that Grana has maintained possession even once in the first half. Every time he touches the ball, a green shirt has it next.

Tesho has played well, but mostly as a holding midfielder rather than as a forward. Urruti has been his usual solid self. Most everybody else has been a mixed bag.

Four time zones is too big for one league. I have church in the morning, so I'll have to catch the second half on replay tomorrow. DTID!

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    873760067711102977 is not a valid tweet id

I think tonight is where I started running out of patience with Colman. Diaz serves up that pass, and Colman boots it out for a THROW IN? C'mon now. It wasn't a gimme by any means, but he's gone from snakebit to just plain embarrassing.

5. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As a person who just attended this game as one of the 4 identifiable away fans... I drank a lot of beers.

That sucked. We didn't look good.

That place was a fun place to visit.

SabreKhan repped this.
  6. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also... Colman sucks

7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that you behind the "outfield" goal on the front row? That was the only red shirt I saw.

8. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My seats were the right near side corner flag area... there were 4 people spread through that section wearing Dallas gear. I saw a couple of others in the concourse during the exit. This was my first away game in 20 years of being a Dallas fan. The Portland fans were friendly, knowledgeable, focused on the game, and with the exception of a few wearing their red away jersey all had green gear on. There did not seem to be any casual fans in the stands. Everyone seemed to be there for one purpose: To root for their team.

... so the opposite of every FCDallas game I've ever been to.

I love my team, but Jesus... our game day experience sucks.

Ps: Colman also sucks [emoji50]

SabreKhan repped this.
  9. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Actually it was his SECOND one of those in the game. Go back to right after he was subbed in. He tries to volley a shot from the left edge of the box and it also goes out for a throw in on the other side of the field. Followill said it was Urruti, but it was Coleman.

I don't believe I've ever seen a professional player shoot two shots for throw-ins in a single game.

EricSunRa repped this.
  10. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm with all of you guys about reaching the patience limit with Colman. I've kind of felt like a Colman apologist for while, but at some point no matter how forgiving you are trying to be you just run out of excuses.

I just don't know who else we bring in that has any chance of success. We have Urruti and Tesho up top. If Colman isn't next up off the bench, who is? One of the kids? Convert one of our wingers? Atiba Harris?

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remembered that, but I'm gonna give him a pass on that because it was a volley and because of his position.

But the second one? Sweet merciful crap.

SabreKhan repped this.
  12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the mindset that El Profe should start him against Tulsa and see if he can work out some of his issues against a lower-division team. If not, well, then I guess he's gotta keep going with Tesho up front with Urruti.

13. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were chatting with a Timber fan and both of you had scarves on, the camera caught you.

14. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colman is still better than Tesho.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Barrios was about to be moved the first year he was here then saved his career here by playing great in an Open Cup game. I don't remember much about it but do remember he wasn't great at first. So will Colman grab the rope and climb back into the boat or does he drown?

16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Tesho may just not be a forward. I think his best position is as a winger or holding midfielder. He does a lot of blue-collar work. He doesn't have a magical touch or anything, but he works hard and makes useful plays. For my money, he's a bench utility player, sort of like a healthy Hollingshead (is he back yet? he was on the bench). Colman is clearly a forward, and (other than his ability to score) a decent one. He makes good runs, gets in good position, and then... fails to score. I'm not sure where else on the field I'd play Colman except as a forward.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping he fixes that part as I'm sure everyone thinks it's rather important. I think if the guy just scores one a big weight will be lifted and he can just play his game instead of pressing.

18. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After just finishing watching the Tulsa match, are you going to stick by that statement? Damn I really wanted to believe in the guy, too. But at some point "what a slump" must turn into "this guy just isn't getting it done here".

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah just saw them back to back live and Colman isn't even as good as the Tulsa forwards. They were way off about him or his goalless streak has turned him into a shell of what he was. Loan him out somewhere else like Chala until he gets better. If anyone wants to buy do it and cut your losses.

20. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to my wife and myself, I spotted about 4 more FCD fans in the rows in front of us and I talked to another while walking out. I think my wife and I were the only “official” FCD fans, I guess because I went through the Timbers office to get my tickets. They had an usher assigned to us. He was very friendly and allowed us to sit down in the handicapped seating row instead of our ticketed seats way up in Row Y. He was relieved to deal with us after having a rough time the previous week vs. San Jose.
    Great experience to see a game there in a cool old stadium (vines on the outer walls of the stadium) even though we sucked. Also really cool to walk to the stadium. Really builds the atmosphere for the game.
    The endzone behind the left goal (as you watch on TV) is rabid. The rest of the crowd is into the game and knowledgeable, but I wouldn’t say this part of the crowd is much more into it than much of our crowd. One thing I noticed is that the atmosphere is much more adult. There are many kids, but way fewer than at our games. With so many bars nearby, it seemed like the typical gameday is to barhop on the way to the stadium, and keep drinking while there. While most Timbers fans were friendly, we were needlessly flipped off after the game by one (we lost to you, what else do you want?). At this point our usher seemed to be functioning more to protect us than to keep an eye on us.
    Funny comment from my wife, who I guess had never seen a Timbers game at Portland before, “WTF? That guy gets to bring in a chainsaw, and I can’t even bring in an umbrella?”
    After many chances and much deliberation, I add my name to the list of those who have given up on Colman. Two shanks to the sidelines?

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Visited Portland for our playoff abortion there 2 years ago. Hate them and their fans but very cool old stadium and location. Feels a lot like the EPL.