04/6: Philadelphia vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Apr 6, 2019.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2019-4-6_9-39-26.png

Game: Philadelphia Union vs FC Dallas
    Date: Saturday, April 6th
    Time: 6:30 PM [DFW] | 7:30 PM [Local]
    Location: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 67, L 47
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Opponent's Recent Form: W-W-D-L-L
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW] | WPHL-17 [Philadelphia] | ESPN+ [Rest of USA] | DAZN [Canada]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

2. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Knee jerk reaction:

(edit) THAT WAS DIARRHEA

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very poor after getting the early goal. Taking a win to a loss in the final 10 minutes is very frustrating but understandable considering the lineup we had and the players available. We came close to a hell of an achievement (with that squad). We should expect to see more results like this, I'm afraid. The side effect of being super young (although our veteran defense was at fault for both goals).

4. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia deserved the three points, but it was still difficult to see a potential win turn into a loss in the final minutes. Simply nobody other than Pomykal who could hold the ball in midfield. Ferreira got no service and isn’t suited to long balls with his back to goal. This would have been a different match with Gruezo, Acosta, and Aranguiz available.

5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    maybe this was the very best thing that could happen to this fanbase, at this point of the season. that's what happens when you have a front six feature four who are all teens and Pax is the oldest. Let's properly reset expectations.

everyone is all hype'd "about the kids" - but the reality is they're kids in a man's game and when a veteran side faces them, more times than not, they're going to get their asses kicked.

Robert's performance reminded me of? The first couple of times Pax started and was ineffective, looked lost and didn't know where to be or what to do.

Dallas is a team with a roster that will rely on young kids for depth and as this team loses players for whatever reason or length of time - last night is what you're likely to get from those who are called upon.

btw, I know that Buzz has been warning the masses for weeks now - and either has gone ignored or doubted, but - Ondrasek is in no way a MLS quality striker. Each time I've seen him - my reaction is: He's slow and doesn't have any particular clear skill set that sets him apart. Then last night - he gets beat in a footrace with a center back and I was stunned to see him repeatedly lose aerial battles. He yells, makes faces, gives overly hard fives and that's all grand, but I think it's clear he's not the 15 goal a year scorer the fan base was looking for.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Roberts looked OK but timid. maybe more to do with his position than his first start. I don't get the Hayes love. he's a lot older than these kids and all I ever see him do is receive a pass turn sort of sideways to make a Micheal Bradley sideways or backpass special onlt to be be bumped seemingly every single time. Sometimes a foul is called and others it's a really bad spot to lose a ball. Servania finally got in a game and based on what I've seen of him at U20's he should be way ahead of Hayes. I also thought Cerrillo looked kind of tired this game - kind of off and on with his passes.

I kind of expected this with the way the club has been with #9's since Blas. I thought before the season and still do that if not already then by the end of the year Pepi should be fighting Jesus for that starting forward spot. They both know how to score, hassle defenders and pass.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another factor in the loss in my opinion, Onion coach Jim Curtin's, and some writers was Luchi's decision to sub out Barrios. Barrios was about the only thing we had attack-wise after our goal. When he came out of the game, Curtin said Phila went full attack mode as they had nothing to worry about from us.
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ph...-from-philadelphia-unions-win-over-fc-dallas/
    Hitman talked about resetting expectations with a group of young players. Part of that reset should include our inexperienced coach.
    Leading the game 1-0 after 85 minutes with that lineup was impressive. Getting outshot 18-3 was very not impressive.
    For me, anti-MOTM goes to Cerrillo for losing the ball that led to the shot that led to the PK, and for being one of the 3 defenders beaten by Bedoya on the second goal.

Pegasus repped this.
  8. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rumors about what the team rules violations were that put Gruezo, Jesse, and Aranguiz out of the game?

9. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been curious as well, though I'm sure that will never make it to the net. Insiders will likely know but exposing that is a scorched bridge.

Though maybe encouraging that three players all got hit, makes one think they're hanging out together regularly and made a bad decision. Maybe they're bonding. Could be way off base though.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he learns now and the team and coaching keep improving as the year goes on.

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    It had been Pablo's birthday that week - word is curfew violation.

TCS35 repped this.
  12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I figured it was party related. Hope they care they missed out and that they learned their lesson.

13. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the game, I thought we had a pretty decent lineup with 5 guys out. After the game, it's obvious we have to have either Acosta or Gruezo in there.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right but I would have liked to have seen Servania in there for Hayes. I can't say for certain he would be better because he hasn't done it at this level but he sure tore through CONCACAF and is much more dynamic than Hayes and covers loads of ground and he and Pomykol work well together. The way he plays the 6 is much different than Gruezo and Cerrillo so I'm guessing Cerrillo is the 6 backup and then Hayes was there for veteran presence even though he hasn't played all that much either. Perhaps had Gruezo been available and started then Servania might have had a chance.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that all of us were hoping/wishing that he'd be the sort of player who'd be utterly mediocre on the training ground, but would turn it on when the lights came up.

Nope. He is who Buzz was telling us who he was. I hope that Andre Zanotta already knows that "reliable strikers = disproportionately more money" and that's he's having a come-to-Jesus discussion with the Hunts that spending money is unavoidable in this department. Now, whether that does any good...

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna hope he knows an up and comer in the Brazilian league ala Ferreira and not Ricardinho. Problem always seems to be if they're good enough for MLS they are also good enough for all but the very best teams in Europe. I think Pepi may be the solution here of FCD can hold onto him. I see him getting sub minutes by the end of the year and in the conversation next year.