03/30: RSL vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Mar 29, 2019.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2019-3-29_16-23-46.png

Game: Real Salt Lake vs FC Dallas
    Date: Saturday, March 30th
    Time: 8:00 PM [CST]
    Location: Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 49, L 34
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Opponent's Recent Form: L-L-W-D
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW] | KMYU-12 [Salt Lake City] | ESPN+ [Rest of USA] | DAZN [Canada]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

Probably going to set a record for the amount of homegrown players on the pitch at once.

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Paxton had a huge game (2 goals) and Ferreira had a goal and an assist. 4-2 win on the road is fantastic (even if they played with 10 for most of the match).

MjrGrubert repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have we watched the team struggle vs 10? I'll take it every time.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they did exactly what they should've done to RSL after RSL indulged their ongoing fetish of playing a man or two down, which is good.

That said, the one glaring issue that continues to stand out for this team, other than the suspect finishing, is their inability to adequately defend set pieces.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may just be because they put out so many short players. Those players are very skillful but if someone's 6' to a foot taller it's pretty hard to mark them in the box.

6. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the concern about us giving up set piece goals, but RSL's corner kick goal looked like a foul to me. Silva had two hands on Reggie's shoulders to boost him above Reggie to win the header.
    Comparing the heights of our players to RSL's, except for Barrios, we're maybe 2" shorter per man (Reggie is listed at 6'. Silva is listed at 6'2"). If I have to mark a guy 6" taller than me, I'm worried. If I have to mark a guy 2" taller than me, I'm not worried.
    Win or lose, I like that we've tried to play our road games the same as our home games. Many times with OP it seemed like we had a completely different team when we went on the road.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were a one-off, I wouldn’t be concerned, but IIRC, three out of the five goals that FCD has conceded so far have come off set pieces, with only New England’s goal in the opener and RSL’s first goal Saturday night coming from open play.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 men yeah, but take away for Pom and Fer?

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for some reason my DVR didn't record the game even it has the next one scheduled. I tied to watch it ESPN+ but FCD games are blacked out. So what exactly is my reason for paying for that?

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To watch games from elsewhere in the league... and NTXSC... and the rest of USL... and Serie A... and Eredivisie... and EFL... and the FA Cup...

(BTW, they don't black out the replays.)

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean replays? So far every time I've checked so far this week it's still blacked out. I'm hoping after a certain amount of days the blackout will be lifted but will just have to keep checking.

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2" difference in a single man-on-man matchup isn't a huge deal, but it's a slight advantage for the taller player. Multiply that slight advantage by 11 matchups, and it becomes a serious advantage for the taller team on every set piece. You're counting on 11 guys to jump 3" higher than 11 other guys on every single attacking third free kick.

Also, as a relatively tall guy (6'0"), when I encounter somebody who's 6'2", it's a noticeable difference. I would definitely expect a 6'2" player to have a decided advantage on headers, and I've got pretty good ups for a white dude who never played basketball.

13. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    actually, they do black out replays on ESPN+, as Buzz reported yesterday. At least in the short term for local viewers. There were some suggestions games appear several days later. And certainly defeated w/ a VPN.

Attached Files:

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly BS. (What MLS/ESPN+ is doing, not y'all's reporting.)

If these broadcasts remain blacked out, then I know with 100% certainty that an MP4 file of the game is available on a torrent site.

15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the 3 set piece goals, only the Crapids' goal (IMO) should prompt FCD to do some rethinking about their defensive strategy.
    Corner kick goal v Columbus - give them some credit. Good ball driven in, good run, great finish while being pretty well marked.
    Corner kick goal v RSL - Reggie had Silva pretty well marked but got flattened by him as Silva boosted himself above Reggie's shoulders using 2 hands.
    Free kick v Crapids - FCD defended this much differently than corner kicks. They held a high line, then ran toward goal with Crapids attackers as the ball came in. Kamara found some space and jumped really high in stride to almost score. Our guys failed to find the rebound off the crossbar that was chested in.
    Maybe our D should back up 3 or 4 yards on those instead of holding the high line? Maybe not as it would create traffic for Jesse to deal with?