¡Hala Juve! - The 2018-2019 Other Players (and Teams) thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, although in the end it makes sense that Madrid return to the level they were at pre-Ronaldo.

But Barca should take this as a warning sign. When Messi retires, lets not be stuck with a bunch of 33 & 34 year olds making-up the core of the team. Unfortunately, getting Griezmann put us squarely on the LPB path. Though I realize its a fine balance between making the team as strong as possible for Messi's final 2-3 seasons and making sure we are still decent after he leaves.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Helmond Cup update:

Roma 4-0 Başakşehir

Next:
    Sunday 22 September
    Serie A, 4a Giornata
    Bologna -v- Roma

BocaFan repped this.
  3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: Atleti 0-0 Celta

:)

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Granada top of La Liga.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We are 7th ...

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    liga is the most competitive league

evil_allan and unclesox repped this.
  7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Arguably..

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Helmond Cup update:

Bologna 1-2 Roma

Next:
    Wednesday 25 September
    Serie A, 5a Giornata
    Roma -v- Atalanta

9. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Liverpool outplaying Chelsea away, imagine if Barca had a coach who was half as good as Klopp. Seriously Liverpool don't have fantastic players in all positions but they all play fantastic together. Just like Fergie could get 150% out of everyone. Valverde on the other hand gets 50% out of his players with his moronic coaching.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lopetegui with a chance to stick the knife in Zidane and comes up empty. I am guessing Zidane pulled the team back and played more conservative.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I watched the game. Liverpool didn't really play all that great.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar saves PSG again in the last min with a great goal ... and after away fans were throwing shit loads of cups and etc at him in the corner flag ... you couldn't write this stuff :laugh:

13. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Liverpool does have fantastic players. Which of our players would start for them? Surely Messi... Ok FDJ over Henderson and maybe Pique over Matip. And that's it! Klopp is better than Valverde but you're fooling yourself if you think they don't have a better squad than us. We've got a lot of big names but they are over the hill. For instance, Mane is literally miles better than Suarez right now.

TitoTata repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Alba, MAtS are 2 others. Our bench is probably a bit better too.

15. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    MAtS isn't really better than Allison. That's a push. And I'd have Robertson over Alba because he's better on the defensive side.

Our bench isn't really better. We've got Roberto, Rakitic, Vidal, Dembele, Fati. They have Gomez, Milner, Shaqiri, Origi, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It was a game of thirds ..
    Liverpool started really well , got the lead , then Chelsea ( the home team ) started playing better and the game was fairly even but Chelsea were on top for the last 30 minutes..

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s a very fair assessment..

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Robertson is a level or two above Alba . Also Alba only shines when he links up with Messi..

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'd argue that Alba links-up pretty well with whoever he needs to on that left side. Even Coutinho.

I mean, it is what it is - he plays with Messi. Linking up well with your teammates makes you an important player. Not something that can be argued at the same time as implying that a player is limited.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe I was a tad harsh on Alba but you rarely see any rave reviews about him apart from when he’s linked up with Messi in a particular game ..

Robertson has been playing at a very high level for some time now and is ultra consistent

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its difficult to measure defense with stats but since we're talking about offense & passing at this particular moment .... Alba was better than Robertson in just about every key offensive category last season in league + CL, not counting the stat of "rave reviews".

22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Position by Position:

Allison = MAtS
    Alexander-Arnold > Semedo
    Van Dijk > Pique
    Matip > Lenglet
    Robertson > Alba
    Henderson < de Jong
    Wijnaldum = Arthur
    Fabinho > Rakitic
    Firminho < Messi
    Salah
    > Griezmann
    Mane > Suarez

Bench

Gomez, Milner, Shaqiri, Origi, Oxlade-Chamberlain = Roberto, Rakitic, Vidal, Dembele, Fati

Manager

Klopp > Valverde

They surely have a much better manager but Valverde achieveing what he did in the past two seasons (two La Liga titles, one CDR, one CL semi and one quarter) isn't even bad. Our squad isn't full of world beaters like it used to be. For the record, I don't think we would have won the CL even if he had Klopp for instance.

With all that said, we need a change in manager because our team seems to lack fire. A new manager CAN fix that. And obviously we have Messi who can bridge the talent gap somewhat but asking him to do everything every match is not a viable strategy.

23. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Busquets? Dembélé? Last year Coutinho?

Klopp makes the biggest difference.

Valverde makes the biggest difference (for the worst).

24. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    He's the easy scapegoat and I blame him for not being more of a motivator. When you look at Valverde, he doesn't make you inspired and give you confidence the way let's say Klopp who is more charismatic does his players. But there is little IMO that our team can improve tactically. I mean guys like Suarez for instance are in prime position to succeed and playing like crap. That's not on the manager.

I say sack Valverde because it could light a fire under the team but I don't expect miracles to be honest. Problems already started in 2016 and 2017 in the CL before Valverde arrived.

evil_allan repped this.