¡Hala Juve! - The 2018-2019 Other Players (and Teams) thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I feel Cristiano wants to be The Man and with Pep around he wouldn't be able to call the shots. A bit like how Cristiano got on with Mourinho.

ShortyMac repped this.
  2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maybe, but maybe also they are both smart enough to realize the power of symbiosis. All hypothetical, but seems not-impossible-in-theory to me.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For one, Pep really doesn't like crossing the ball and one of Ronaldo's main strength nowadays is his aerial game.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Women's WC: Brasil beat Italy. But Brasil still finish 3rd in the group and Italy first.
    So sets-up a likely France (hosts) v Brasil in the round of 16 (with the winner likely to play USA). No cake draw for the hosts like we normally see (especially when Brasil hosts a tournament :whistling: )

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Love Peru's first goal v Bolivia. Lovely through ball to Guerrero who slyly taps ball around goalkeeper and slides the ball home.
    Uruguay has long been the South American team I've always rooted for. And I'd like Argentina to win simply for Messi.
    But Peru won me over big time at last year's World Cup. For me they played the most exciting futbol, they had a strong show of supporters at their matches, and were (imo) very unlucky not to have advanced out of their group.
    I honestly don't know which of the three I want to see win it all the most. Would be a dream if all three plus Brazil reached the semi-finals.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some fix draws when hosting ... others fix games by bribing the opposition. :whistling:

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    brazil 0-0 venezuela,just laugh at VAR

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, it was offside.

9. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I think ultimately VAR is a valuable addition to football in the same way that Hawk-Eye is to tennis. It’s only a nuisance when the decision goes against you but I could never argue against playing and winning fairly.

Who cares about “taking away the excitement of celebrating a goal” if it’s an illegitimate goal? This is how many teams got screwed over in the past. Again, it’s all nice and dandy when it’s in your favor.

The VAR is immune to favoritism and status. It can also reverse a bad call made initially by the officiators.

Of course, it’s not perfect and still needs work, but it’s at the beginning stages so that shouldn’t be surprising. It will take time to get used to it but I don’t see it getting abolished anytime soon, if ever.

afar repped this.
  10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....1978.......

evil_allan repped this.
  11. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    3 times brazil goals are cancelled:eek:

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pep is smart enough to adapt his style. City, Bayern and Barca don't play identically.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah ,very unusual. Good for Brasil as now everyone will talk about that rather than the poor result (anyone can score 3 goals in a game if goals from being offside by 10 feet count)

Jpows repped this.
  14. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Lucho has quit Spain coach due to personal reasons. is there a chance he come back

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    There’s about 40 million people praying for that very thing I’d guess anyone is better than OneWay Valve .

( apart from Jose , Bug Sam , Tony Pullis and Serri )

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd heard that "personal reasons" = an illness. I don't think he's going to be coaching anywhere for some time, and that's if things go well.

17. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, he missed the last two international dates (March and June) so for him to step down one would assume something is terribly wrong, either with him or a family member.

His assistant Robert Moreno takes over and in doing so he becomes first Catalan coach of Spain in over 50 years (Domènec Balmanya, 1966-68).

ShortyMac repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hope it works out for Lucho.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Poor result, but we didn't really play bad .. although many are pushing that narrative in Brazil.

Coutinho and Firmino ... yes, the all time great Firmino, were pretty bad though. Probably Vavlerde's fault.

Arthur was pretty good.

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    madnesso_O

celito repped this.
  21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You’re dissing Firmino so I can only assume you’ve never seen him play for Liverpool ... the guy makes them tick ....he’s the first name on Klopp’s team sheet

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Madness indeed!

Barca paid more for Coutinho than Atleti is spending on a stud like Joao?! :eek:

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    The lad looked completely lost last week..

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi should have pulled a Courtouis there with no angle.

25. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    This Argentina team is so underwhelming. Does Messi really have to do it all? They lack so much creativity and attacking intent. Sigh. Big names on paper, but the game is played on grass.

Lo Celso has yet to show his Betis’ form and God knows why Aguero and Di Maria are on the bench. They might have not been impressive in their last outing, but they’re still better than the alternatives...