Official Freddy Adu Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Feb 7, 2006.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Vela (Mexican Youth) can do it for Arsenal, it is possible that Adu can do it for Chelsea.

Mexican youth transfered to Arsenal for around $3.7 mil. He is only 16.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4422984.stm

Thread in the Arsenal forum about this.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257856

this is just a few days ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=soccer&id=2315447

However, I don't think Vela can play for Arsenal until 18. So Adu can't play for Chelsea until he is 18 (which is next summer).

2. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    Re: Adu can transfer before he is 18: Proof here

vela can't play til 18... it's pretty pointless... can't practice with the adults... hell, he didn't even get a wp is back in spain

see the thread in the us men's youth forum

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

What I wanna know is... what will The International Soccer Community think?

Is Chicken Little released on DVD today or something?

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True. He can't play until June 2007. So it is possible for Chelsea to buy Adu rights from MLS but Adu would not be allowed to play for Chelsea until he is 18.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Then why not stick to those threads dealing w/ the Chelsea rumor instead of cluttering up every board w/ yet another Adu thread.

At least you didn't title it "Much Ado about xxx".

6. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He will play this season with DC, then go to Chelsea.;)

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

according to some that was about 4 years ago....

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  9. TMDSoccer

TMDSoccer New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Severna Park, MD

Adu also needs a work permit, which will be difficult to get before he gets more PT with the USMNT. He's not going to have the same star quality in Europe as he does here, unless he's able to prove something quickly.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your own link has the guy with zero games.

And the kid turns 18 in about 10 weeks.

I'm starting to think that clubs are trying to buy but not play children, and see how FIFA reacts. The rule is black and white...you can't transfer children. But children, a few, seem to be transferring, but not playing.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I understand it you can play before you are 18 but you can't have a professional contract. All this, assuming, Adu could receive a work permit. If Howard got one, I'm sure based on potential, Adu could appeal and win a permit. If Chelsea were a Nike sponsored team, I could see him heading over there this summer and paying his what Chelsea couldn't do legally. Otherwise I don't see him there until he's 18.

12. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC

The thing with Vela is that Arsenal knew he couldn't play, he's sort of a test subject (a test subject with amazing potential).

Arsenal and Celta Vigo have agreed a deal, where Arsenal buy North and South Americans and send them to Celta to earn a European work permit (much like Arsenal did with Ivorian international Emmaunel Eboue at KSK Beveren).

In return Celta receive tactical advice, some first options on Arsenal players they may be interested in, and a bit of cash.

Chelsea have a similar deal with PSV Eindhoven, I beleive. Also, wasen't Phillips rumored to have offered one of Freddy's parents a job in Eindhoven which would allow Freddy to live their and sign for PSV?

13. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago

Couldnt Chelsea buy him, sign him, and loan him back until either he ripens or a loophole can be arranged? In that way both the sale rumors and the MLS claim that "Freddy will be playing in DC for the foreseable future" would be true. On the same note, in the category of salary cap circumvention, couldnt there be a sale, loan, and trade in which DC gets a guy they couldnt otherwise afford but is being paid by the other club?

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

How could they buy him without it being a transfer?

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

actually he was practicing with the adults just like he is doing it now in celta...so the same could happen with Adu..

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We're talking about a different issue, the international transfer of children.

Nobody doubts that 17 year Nigerians can play for a Nigerian club. The question is whether one can play for a Spanish club.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn rules and regulations. That's why they lawyers, I guess. There's loopholes obviously but where and what those are probably kept very secret. Those who have found them, probably keep quiet as it allows that agent to gain more profiton that one player as opposed to completing four minor deals equally that one big singing.

18. Re: Adu can transfer before he is 18: Proof here

I doubt if mommy moved for other reasons then to cook some tasty brasilian meals for him. The truth is that brasilians are more or less considered to be portugees by origin, unless your name is japanese.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Those that have found the loopholes in the FIFA prohibition against the international transfer of children have remained extrememly quiet. That's because there aren't any.

:)

20. Re: Adu can transfer before he is 18: Proof here

In another Adu thread I posted this:
    I understand that there is a lack in knowledge about Chelsea. It is a publicly known secret in Holland that Chelsea and PSV have a (I donot know how it is called in English but I try to explain it) mutual agreement that Chelsea can put players at PSV that arenot eligible for UK work permits, until these players have the by the UK required number of national team caps. The top scout for Abramovic is a Dutchman with connections to PSV. So in soccer we have the dutch-russian connection. There has been an article about the conspiracy of big money parties to corner the top talent soccer market.
    Up till now the only player that fits the bill of the afore mentioned construction is the PSV defender Alex, who is rumoured to be on the Chelsea list. But Adu would be welcome at PSV, if the Chelsea connection works.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Interesting.

Clicking your link gives us the following stats for the current season:

Appearances - 0
    Complete Games - 0
    Minutes Played (Abs) - 0
    Minutes Played (Avg) - 0
    Games Started - 0

[​IMG]

22. Re: Adu can transfer before he is 18: Proof here

Stats only are useful if uptodate. I donot know if that is or isnot the case with those links. In the Feyenoord statistics you are led to believe that Jonathan the Guzman hasnot done anything yet, while the truth is that he rocketed into the limelight and into the attention of big money clubs. So be careful to prove your point with stats.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

I'm not the one who linked to a page showing 0 minutes played.

edit - and this is from Porto's official web site. Do you seriously think that they would not update player stats?

24. Re: Adu can transfer before he is 18: Proof here

Weel, I donot think about it, I only wonder if other clubs are as sloppy as Feyenoord on that field.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Chelsea is in England. PSV Eindhoven is in the Netherlands.

Both England and the Netherlands are in the European Union. Therefore, they can transfer players between their teams.