Mexico's U17 Star Carlos Vela to Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CCTX SoccerFreak, Oct 19, 2005.

1. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Link to Article (In Spanish)

This kid is amazing and would be a real investment into the club's future for strikers! He won the Golden Boot at the U17 World Youth Championships

It says that the player's agent has a date/time to sit down and discuss a transfer for Carlos Vela with Arsenal and the boy's family.

[​IMG]

Top scorers:
    5 goals: Carlos Vela (MEX)
    4 goals: Nuri Sahin (TUR), Tevfik Kosé (TUR)

Any news anywhere else on this possible winter transfer target?

2. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
  3. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    not another 16 year old :rolleyes:

4. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like this rumor has some legs, could happen...

http://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...s25.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/10/25/ixfooty.html

I know people want established and great talent to be brought in as do I but I never mind it when we're linked with the brightest young prospects in the world...our future is def. looking bright and will be looking even better with a few more potential buys. Vela would be an excellent start, has excellent skills and is a proven goalscorer...he could become that opposing predatory scoring threat we've longed look for to partner Henry.

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is good to see the good young players being brought in with a view to long-term success. I haven't seen this kid play, but everyone who saw him at the recent world youth championships says he is great. I'm sure it hasn't gone unnoticed by Wenger that we need some short-term strengthening and something will be done in January.

6. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine Raul at a younger age and you have Vela.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More on the kid:

Threat to Gunners' Vela bid

£2m for yet another kid? :rolleyes:

Is it against the law for Arsenal to buy a solid 25 year old that can help us win for a few years? Hey who cares...we'll have a great squad in 2010! ;)

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know about a threat to the bid, if a reporter from Spain asks him if he'd like to play there, he's going to say yes. The fact that we've got him over for a trial and that we've apparently already spoken to his family and are dealing with his current club is worth a lot at this stage. I'm sure Arsene will have Fabregas and Reyes working on him while he's here.

Wenger keeps bringing young players, but it might bear fruit in less time than you think. After this season Reyes, Flamini, Van Persie, Fabregas and Senderos will have had a couple of years experience in the league. Add to that Henry, Cole, Campbell, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Toure and Lauren who are all still young enough to be around and you have a decent first team. I'm not saying that we don't need a couple of players in January because I think we do, it's just that I think the youngsters currently are learning the game in the best environment possible (the Premiership, Champions League, FA Cup) and it will be of benefit to us and them in the near future.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I've never seen him play so I cannot comment....but that's a pretty strong statement considering he's only played in an U-17 tournament and the MFL....hardly La Liga (with all apologies and respect to thrashboy and el guaro naco....;) )

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Does anyone have any clips of him?

11. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I wouldn't mind getting another super talented 16 yr old, provided
    a) That guy has the maturity of Rooney, Cesc or Messi and can be used for a few games NOW
    b) That guy is not another Bergkamp wannable or a fast and skillfull but as light as a piece of feather striker which we are overloaded with right now
    c) That guy can score goals, we really need these kind of players right now

Does anyone know whether he is that kind of player?

EDIT: I just read the article on him being a spainish football lover, and I can say honestly that we can forget about getting him cause there's a 0% chance of him coming to us.

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's now saying it would be a good move for him to come to Arsenal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4368740.stm

13. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I guess this is some good news, although i can see chelsea taking him just so we wont get him. This clip is taken from sky sports.

Arsenal target Carlos Vela will take stock of his options before deciding on his next career move.

The young forward has been training with The Gunners after arriving in London last week and his first impressions of the capital are positive.

Chivas rate the 17-year-old in the £2.5 million bracket and his goalscoring exploits for the Mexican Under-17 side are likely to see the club comfortably secure such a fee.

Arsenal are looking to pip the likes of Real Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and Internazionale to the starlet, but the player is unlikely to make a snap decision.

"It has been an excellent experience for Carlos at Arsenal so far," Vela's agent Eduardo Hernandez told the London Evening Standard. "His family are enchanted by London and Thierry Henry has greeted him warmly.

"We all went to see them play Manchester City and took a tour of their new stadium.

"Arsenal would be a good club for him to join but we are going to listen to other proposals."

14. OG Junglist

OG Junglist Member+

Jul 21, 2005
    El Jebel, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  15. CTGooner

CTGooner New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    The Cut
    That is the first time I have seen those words used together in the same sentence, not surrounded by "no" or "lack of" :D
    Apparently, he's been getting the whole tour and he is happy with what he saw. But as mentioned, I can see him going to spain instead.

16. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Personall im not so sure about Spain. Barcelona has their youngester, Madrid has theirs. And although RM buys players just to buy them sometimes, they really have no room for this guy. At the moment they have 4 strikers. Barcelona also has enough. Other than those teams, how could you be interested in Valencia over Arsenal?

17. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    since we are favorites for once in this race, the question is where will he be played.

will he move Reyes to the wing and have vela try actually finishing in the run of play?

or will he do another conversion like he did with henry but opposite?

or maybe even central defender?

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Edu...

19. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Question.......... Is he originally a forward or winger?

20. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    IMO we werent THAT interested in keeping Edu, this guy would probably play first team way more than him.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Watched two games with Mexico in the U-17's and IMO he looked like a striker. Nice finishing touch but my concern would be over the toughness issue. FIFA youth tournaments and the Mexican Leagues are not breeding ground for physical forwards. The Mexican team had some decent midfield control and Vela didn't have to spend too much time fighting for balls or pressuring the defense after a turnover.

The boys got skills, to be sure, but I'd be lost at where to put him with all the other younger prospects depending on the formation and gameplan. Arsenal passed on Owen, and The Beast was clearly a different type of forward, if that tells you anything.

22. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha I guess I should've re-worded that...I was trying to compare his style to someone and to me he resembles a young Raul. I remember reading or hearing somewhere (may have been on TV) that Raul was Vela's hero growing up and he's tried to tailor his game to be like his, it's worked.

Vela is listed as an attacking midfielder but he played CF in the U-17's and is probably where he'd be used if he came to us, he has a lethal scoring touch and would be better suited for us playing there as opposed to the midfield.

23. El Campeonisimo

El Campeonisimo New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Nuevo Leon
  24. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Valencia is/was a superpower in Spain and many people would have said Valencia is a bigger club than us. Just look at the amount of CL wins they have. They may have performed badly last season, but this season they are showing signs of recovering their status. So I do not see why people can't be interested in Valencia over Arsenal.

25. El Campeonisimo

El Campeonisimo New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Nuevo Leon
    And this goal is from the final versus brazil, the guy that made the pass is Giovani Dos Santos from Barcelona

http://rapidshare.de/files/5846683/TV_Azteca_-_M_xico_vs_Brasil__1-0_.wmv.html

And in the other two goals he put the passes

http://rapidshare.de/files/5847127/TV_Azteca_-_M_xico_vs_Brasil__2-0_.wmv.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/5847523/TV_Azteca_-_M_xico_vs_Brasil__3-0_.wmv.html

And like a bonus a good play of Giovani (who arsenal also are interested in him) versus Uruguay
    http://rapidshare.de/files/5188452/M_xico_v_Uruguay_-_Sub_17__1_.wmv.html

You have to wait to dowload all of them in Rapid Share Free