ZZZZzzzzz....

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by usbfc, Aug 31, 2002.

1. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Let's sum up the 2002 MLS season. This season has been so boring... there have been so few positives - in my opinion (apart from the World Cup). And, no news. For someone that is unable to watch live matches or matches live, MLS offers little or nothing exciting. *Yawn*

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not THIS is boring. *Yawn*

3. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    WTF are you talking about? Out here in the Western Conference it's been a nailbiter for the last few months. Maybe you're bored because the teams in your conference are all crap?

4. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    When people ask me about the MLS, I pretty much say its similar to the NBA, meaning the disparty in the conferences. Although, I'm glad to see there are two teams with a better record in the east than the last place west team.

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well if you don't watch any games, then how do you know it's boring? :rolleyes:

6. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Re: Re: ZZZZzzzzz....

i was writing the same thing... you stole my words...

7. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    the games this year are fine. The beginning of the season I thought the level of play actually went down but since the world cup most of the games I've seen have been great. It seems like a lot of the world cup players have a certain swagger they gained druing the WC.

But the thing is, with 8 teams making the playoffs, well it's not as interesting as it should be. Also, only having 10 teams makes MLS seem kinda minor league but what can you do.

DouginSJ, you say you don't care about the supporters shield but you think the western conference race is a nail biter?

And although there are tons of things to complain about in MLS, there is usually quality matches played between 2 American clubs every saturday and that seems to be the bottom line here.

8. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    boring!!!! how can you say that. neither confence has a winner yet and the playoff spots still not decided.

9. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Yes, that is correct.

I do not care about the supporters shield; I just want us to win. The trophy is irrelevant.

10. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    I didn't say I didn't watch games... I said, I didn't watch them "live". And, about the playoff spots not decided? Who cares?

80% of the league will be in it! Now, that's exciting.

This has been nearly the most boring season in league history. It could have had promise - but, failed in all expectations. First contraction before the season. Then squashed stadium plans. And, then crappy situations like Naperville for Chicago (although, right on to Fire fans who have seemingly been representing splendidly lately!) And, the playoff race isn't exciting. I do wish DC could make it in, though... And, was really disappointed over New England this year. Plus, Kansas City's thrashing at the hands of international and domestic competition - when they were supposed to be representing our league. And, the great injuries that have plagued players that, excitingly, signed new contracts only to have themselves sidelined! Yay! Snore... and, the great football lines are back! I love the fall!

I know I'm missing some things. But, oh well. I'm sure next season will start out with hope again.

*NOTE... it is truly nice, however, to see fans still supporting and defending the league even when they probably don't fully deserve it. Just goes to show that the fans are the ones who keep it going. And, we (you) deserve better. (By the way, I don't voice my doubt or frustration to anyone face to face... this is just my way to secretly vent my frustration on Big Soccer, with people who know as much, and more than me.)

Additionally, the ESPN broadcasts have slightly improved this season. But, I'm too tired to talk about the scarce positives.

11. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    every game ive gone to has been thrilling and Ive gone away wanting more... what more could I ask for?

12. moremont

moremont New Member

yeah i think this takes some of the excitement out of the game. It makes the individual games less important i think the playoff format needs to be thought through a bit...

maybe it would be better if only 4 or 6 teams made it to the playoffs...

personally i would love to see a promotion/relegation system although i really don't see that happening in the MLS ever....i love watching games under those circumstances where teams will always push the ball forward in hopes of getting a win or salvageing a point.

i have a question:
    can anybody confirm/deny if a in team the EPL gets some sort of bonus when they win a match?

I thought i heard the anouncer today say something like because of their win they are going to get the win bonus or something...

13. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    It would depend on what game they won.

If they get a bonus for winning a normal league match - then it's a new one on me.

Who would give the team the bonus? It's not single entity over here. The FA, don't own the clubs.

The only way I can see it actually happening is if they won a promotion spot up to the EPL (or other divisions for that matter, though the money increases massively between div 1 and the premiership).
    Thanks to TV money, the 'bonus' for the teams that get promoted to the EPL is somewhere in the region of £10-15 million (I think, as neither of my teams are in any danger of it happening, others may have more up to date info on this).
    Therefore the club coud assure themselves of a huge bonus if they win a promotion spot.

Or maybe if the club wins the FA cup or possibly league cup, they get a bonus (again others may have more info on this - the last time either of my teams got to an FA cup final was 1982!), but certainly with a 38 league game season, a win bonus is not the done thing.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAn, I don't know what some people want. You have some valid points--8 teams making the "playoffs" is ridiculous, KC flopped in international competition.
    I say, BIG DEAL. Regardless of how silly and pointless the playoffs are--or, I should say, of how how pointless the regular season is as a result of an 8 team playoff--here we are at the end of the season, and the teams at the bottom have been playing their asses off. One look at the scores from last night is thrilling enough for me. Everybody is still fighting, Ruiz had a hat trick last night, DC broke their winless streak in great style, NE has gone 2-0-1 in their last three...all these are just some of the reasons I'm glad I made it back Stateside in time to catch the end of the season.

15. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is all this different than any other MLS season? Football lines, too many playoff teams, injuries, squashed stadium plans? Contraction was a bummer, but I don't see how it has a major effect on the excitement of what goes on on the field unless you're a soccer fan in Florida. And why's everybody so down on KC? They made it farther than any other MLS team in the Champions Cup. I guess it goes to show how far our expectations have grown when reaching the semis and losing to one of the better Mexican teams is considered a major disappointment. We used to have entire threads celebrating a friendly win over a Mexican team. And what excatly would make the playoff race more exciting? Having two more teams in the league who have both already been mathematically eliminated? All ten teams are still alive with four matches left. Both conferece titles are in major doubt. SJ is showing weaknesses. The Metros are falling apart. Columbus and NE and DC are coming together and really fighting. If Sportscenter knew soccer existed they could do a different story every night on the excitement of this season. Attendance is up. Quality of play is up. TV broadcasts have been more stable and, perhaps, better. Once you get over contraction you see this has been the best season in MLS history.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get the trophy for winning. It's the same thing.

- Paul

17. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    i think the matches have been very exciting this season and the play has been strong, but i think from the LEAGUE-end, it has been a bit of a letdown...not enough progress toward teams getting soccer stadiums, not enough progress in marketing the league, not enough spent on foreign acquisitions,and so forth. i realize the league has many bills to pay, but some of this stuff seems like it requires investment before any light will shine from the end of the tunnel without that light being a train.

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    1. LA broke ground on what will be a stellar SSS. New England opened Gillette Field with reported increases in revenue sharing, Colorado has a better deal in its stadium. Dallas, NJ, KC, DC, reportedly making some progress, and expansion plans from other cities all geared towards SSS plans.

not enough progress in marketing the league,
    Don Garber published in Op-Ed page of New York Times; MLS Strike Force ads prominently placed during World Cup broadcasts. Three MLS stars on cover of Sports Illustrated and ESPN Magazine.

not enough spent on foreign acquisitions
    Carlos Ruiz, Ronnie O'Brien, and Carlos Quintanilla seem to have worked out pretty well for pretty reasonable prices.

The glass is half full. . .

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a distinction between "exciting" and "meaningful."

Individually, every game I have been to has had at least moments of genuine beauty and excitement. Most of the games were well played and exciting.

Meaningful is something else again. For the teams at the top, finishing first is meaningful and a matter of pride. I think every LA, Dallas and Quakes fan is on edge during every game this time of year.

For the teams at the bottom, games are also meaningful. I know only two teams don't make the cut, but for fans of the bottom four clubs, every game is meaningful because no one wants to fall below the line - its the MLS equivalent of relegation.

That leaves three or four clubs mired in the middle for whom the regular season has become more or less meaningless. They know they are in the playoff and know they are not going to be top of the table (although there is reason to play for the eastern conference championship, no matter how debased that is this year).

I guess whether games are meaningful to an individual fan depends on whom he or she supports. But remember, even a meaningless game has the capacity to be exciting because that is intrinsic to soccer.

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Well, there are four teams within 3 points of the Western Conference title and Supporters Shield (SJ, LA, Dallas, and Colorado), two teams within one point of the Eastern Conference title (Columbus and Fire), and four teams within 6 points of the last playoff spot (KC, DC, NE, and Metrostars). Many of the teams in each category play each other head to head. So one could argue that all the games from here on out are meaningful. Should be an intriguing finish to the regular season.

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I guess if you are a Fire fan things aren't exciting. Champions Cup-OUT (quater finals)
    Open Cup- OUT (round of 16)
    Supporters Sheild- OUT (mid July)

That is 3 out of 4 competitions that you left fairly early. Plus before the season even opened, Naperville and Salary Cap restraints. Then once the season began you were plagued with injuries and national team call ups. On a road trip to KC for a lot of fans the Fire lost.

So yes, I can see if I was a fan of the Fire how this season would be boring. Especially in light of previous years. Guess you guys can't be on top forever. If you are accustomed to playing in championship games, then leaving early is a disappointment. Just think, How well will you feel the next time you have a great season. It takes losing seaons to appreciate, winning ones.

In short I would like to welcome the Fire to medirocracy.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS will sign Luis Hernandez and "disburse" him to some playoff team to jack up playoff attendance and to keep usb awake....

The rest of us are already pretty enthused. For a year that started out with contraction and an 8-team playoff picture, it's turned out okay. Everyone knows we (MLS/US Soccer) need slow and steady progress and not big huge (illusory) fireworks. I'd say this year has had some pretty damn good slow and steady progress...

23. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also disagree

The season has been great. A season with an obvious best team doesn't give any suspense for the playoffs. The fact that the "worst" team killed the "best" team last week means that it still is anyone's trophy.

24. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    What do we call it when somebody writes something with the sole purpose of elliciting a massive response contrary to the original post??? *sigh*

25. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Is it still boring?