ZUSI must start next game!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deedsy, Jun 16, 2014.

?

Should Zusi start?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    An accurate set piece taker - instantly charged our offense, and at least somewhat brought us out of our all out bunker. Start him over Bedoya.

2. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he would've made a difference if he started today. Bedoya looked good today, if he's benched for Portugal, I don't think it'll be due to his performance tonight.

3. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Aside from Green, who do we have that's really fast on the wing? Gonna need a speedy outlet.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi was in part responsible for the Ghana goal, but was great otherwise. I think its good to get a few new legs in the game for a tournament with games this close together. Zusi would be a good pick for this.

5. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point because we definitely don't have it attacking on the left side of the field. Jones is really fast but doesn't get wide on the wing in the same way.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    My inclination is to start Dempsey up top and Zusi, assuming Altidore and Besler are out.

deedsy repped this.
  7. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bedoya should be starting, especially to help with CR7 down the left. I think with our current options, Dempsey moves forward, Zusi slides in, and Mix subs for Zusi or Bedoya, whoever is playing worst.

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought bedoya played really well today. So no

ckl26, Sup Bro and AmericanArsenal repped this.
  9. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zusi got the assist off a nicely played corner. But it was also his lazy defending on Asamoah that allowed him to play an easy ball into the box to Gyan for the back heel. Zusi is a great setpiece taker no doubt, but for 65+ mins I would rather have Bedoya defending down the our right (vs Ronaldo and any number of Germans). I think defense is going to be crucial in the next two games. One more point and we are in a very good position to advance.

10. ChaseM

ChaseM Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted no.

Zusi is not a world class athlete and is somewhat of a liability defensively IMO.
    I'm all for Zusi seeing a lot time in this tournament and should be one of the fist subs off the bench, especially when there is more work offensively to do...but I think Bedoya played well today and holds up better defensively.

AmericanArsenal repped this.
  11. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This. I thought Klinsmann played the subs very well if you ask me.

12. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya was horrible on set pieces. We need someone who can provide service, because it's likely to provide the majority of our scoring chances against our next two opponents.

deedsy repped this.
  13. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reason 562 of why it was a mistake to cut Donovan: He was our best set piece kicker.

Ghosting repped this.
  14. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did what was expected of him; an injection of something fresh. It is not as though he replace someone who was playing poorly. Nudging Capt. Obvious, unless Klinnsman is forced to change personnel necessitating a movement of players in different people, I do not expect a radical change on who plays. We need certain players to perform better and either make less risky passes or improve our passing; it was atrocious and frustration to watch for sure.

15. DaNnYsOl09

DaNnYsOl09 Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Move Dempsey up top slide Bedoya in behind him and star Zusi on the right.

16. ChaseM

ChaseM Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a valid point and something that needs to weighed for sure...
    But I rather either A. Live with Bedoya's set pieces or B. Exercise another option available on the pitch before I would be willing to take a guy like Bedoya out of there.

Bedoya is a pretty solid all around player...I think we're a terrible team defending a break. Bedoya's speed and defensive prowess helps slow the rush down. I think we get exposed with Zusi out there for 90 minutes.

Could imagine Zusi going head to head with 7 all day? Yikes.

17. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Like 6 years ago.

18. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    really? did some of you only watch the last 10 minutes of this game? Bedoya was one of our better outlets to relieve pressure in the first 45 minutes.

19. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh. LD must've been taking the kicks on set pieces during WCQ for the fun of it then. Thanks for enlightening me.

20. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Bedoya was bad, but our midfield as a unit was horrible. All they did was bunker and pray that Ghana couldn't finish their chances. We only managed 38% possession and created nothing off of the counter. Ghana out-shot us 21-8. I'm really torn, because I'm not sure Zusi, on the whole, will be better than Bedoya. Bedoya gave us very little going forward, but was pretty good defensively. I think Zusi is more likely to create something, but also more likely to give up something. It's a tough call.

21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Name the minutes and I'll give it a look on ESPN3.

22. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    i'll rewatch tomorrow when i'm sober

PremierUSA repped this.
  23. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It seemed like much less. I'd bet the possession ratio in each other's final third would be staggering.

24. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya's combination play was not good. He did very little to help us posses the ball. For instance, Bradley turned the ball over 8 times, and Bedoya 7. But Bradley had 31 successful passes to only 10 for Bedoya. Zusi had 6 successful passes and 2 turnovers.

deedsy and PremierUSA repped this.
  25. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States