Zusi as a right back? Corona?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drdi, Jul 22, 2013.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Only one or two need make it.

2. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Sure, but none look to. That's the point.

3. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I am one of those people that thinks a fullback should be a good defender first and foremost. Apparently that means I also don't understand the modern game. I don't think being a great defender and good with your feet are mutually exclusive. I also believe 1 defender can mark 1 forward and am a big proponent of the 3-5-2. Maybe I am nuts after all.

Americans really should think about this more like American football. Sure you can put a WR at RB or a TE at receiver but it won't yield the best results long term.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Lichaj added absolutely nothing to the attack from the leftback position. He had to invert himself every time and as soon as defenders realized he had no left foot, they didn't bother to defend him going wide. Lichaj just looked good because the other options during Bradley's tenure were Bornstein and Heath Pearce. Beasley has been far and away better than Lichaj was. Parkhurst you might have a case for as he's pretty average going forward, if very good defensively.

5. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, if beasley will be our LB in brazil, assuming we will be there, we will be in BIG TROUBLE! its a HORROR SHOW.
    zusi has , potentially, all the qualities to be an international quality RB.very technically gifted, knows well to pas and cross,much above media in 1vs 1..even is relative lack of frame is more than compensated by his technique. he is better than Arbeloa..

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the modern game the middle of the field is so crammed and crowded that you vitally need width to moved the ball up field, spread the opposing team and create scoring chances. This is especially important for the elite level of the international game, where teams are not together very often and generally play a very conservative game plan. One of the more serious issues of the Bradley era was no viable left back option. When playing extremely mediocre options like Jonathan Bornstein or Carlos Bocanegra, you essentially crippled one side of the field, cutting your attacking chances in half.

7. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Outside mids provide width. The obsession with wing backs is essentially playing a 3-6-1 without calling it that. Last game when Beasely was really far forward, we technically only had 3 backs.

3-5-2 and its variations are very flexible depending on personnel choices. The wingers could be your modern day wingbacks making it 5 in the back essentially. Or you could go very offensive. Teams are gravitating toward it on offense anyway with this popularity of wing backs.

Pragidealist repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside mids do not always provide width. An outside midfield receiving the ball wide with the defense closed on him with no outlet on the overlap is essentially useless. Not having an outside back who can overlap effectively can effectively neuter that side of the field.

9. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is that a bad thing? The US has often looked like a 3-4-3/3-5-2 when Beasley pushes forward, and I think that flexibility causes opponents problems.

10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I agree outside backs are important going forward with teams attacking down the flanks. of course, this also means that outside backs better be able to defend because that's where the other side is going to be coming as well. So sure ball skills are important, but defending is still a primary job function back there. When we go against bigger teams with more talented squads where we cannot control possession, what is required by the outside backs may be a bit different than what we are seeing right now.

onefineesq repped this.
  11. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

Its a different game. The roles overlap more in soccer than football. The game is more dynamic and free flowing.

If you're a big proponent of a 3 5 2 then you should be all about Zusi as the LB in a the current scheme. That is exactly how its played. Its a a 3 5 2 when in possession. The 3 5 2 is really played with 3 CBS and two wingers. In JK's system, the three CBS are Gonzo, Besler and the Dmid. The outside backs shift up into more wingers. Thats why it fits Beasley and Fabian Johnson so well who are more midfielders than "true" backs.

12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    There is no doubt that you need width. Its about where that width comes from. I agree that was a weakness of Bradley's team. Dolo was a good fit in that role, but we didn't have one on the left.

This is why I would think Zusi as a RWB and Beasely as a LWB. It would allow Donovan, Dempsey and Altidore to cut in more and be closer to the goal. (Of course they would all interchange as needed).

With our current backs we have been very left side focused because we have lacked good RWB options. That is why Evans slotted in there.

13. No way that Zusi is a lock at right mid. That is crazy talk.

14. You could almost make the argument for a 3-4-2-1 with 3 CBs, MB and JJ in the middle, Zusi and Johnson on the wings, and LD and Clint behind Jozy.

jaxonmills repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No just no. Zusi will start at rm with LD at lm. Chandler will most likely be rb and Fabian lb.

16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    That's about the way I see it, though it could be configured a dozen different ways and still be basically the same.

But basically one holding mid that fills gaps. The WBs provide the width and LD, CD, and JA all playing mostly centrally.

17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Despite Chandler rarely ever playing for the USMNT
    Despite Beasley looking good at LB
    Despite JK and their clubs both playing LD & CD centrally.

I think not. I don't think you want to make LD play a pure winger and just send in crosses all day. you negate his impact that way. I think you would much prefer both LD and CD having more freedom to find pockets with wingbacks out to create the space to do that.

In fact- thats how JK has been playing them.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that Zusi has never played there and is unlikely to ever play there for his club. While defensively Beasley can make up for his defensive shortcomings with his speed, an attacker is simply never away from him and Fabian's skill is enough to ignore his, Zusi doesn't have the speed to recover from mistakes and won't have time to learn a new position.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolo would be starting at rb but at his age idk how he responds to his injury. Candler has had good games as well its just the one stinker that comes to mind first and everyone sucked that day. The missed call ups too but with that behind us I see him as JK's first choice rb going forward. Fabian was better at lb than Beaz. And zusi was better in qualifiers at rm than Beaz was at lb. As far as donovan and Dempsey central i didn't post this here but the 3 would switch throughout the game. LD Dempsey and zusi are all more than capable interchanging. Zusi will start over EJ. Ej gomez will be used as a super sub.
    This is who my starting 11 would be...
    -------------------Jozy-----------------
    Donovan-------Dempsey---------zusi
    ------------jones------Bradley--------
    Fabian-----Besler-----cam-----chandler
    -----------------Howard----------------

20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Makes sense. Like I said, it may be a horrible idea.

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Its one of many possibilities. The number one problem is I don't think Chandler can be counted on AND his crosses have left a lot to be desired. He has done nothing to show that he can. The time to see him as a solid RB was in the qualifiers and he was a no show. Its time to move on from him.

Second, Beasley has been just as good if not better than F. Johnson as a defender and Beasley's crosses are better. F.johnson likes to cut in more than terrorize the wings. That will crowd teh space with both Dempsey and Donovan wantig to work centrally.

The US needs more true wing backs to create that width. F. Johnson, though very good getting forward, is not good a creating that space. I see something more like this

----------------------Jozy
    -----------------LD----------CD
    ------------F.Johnson-------------Jones
    ------------------------Bradley
    Beasley--------------------------------------------Evans
    -------------------Beasler-----------Gonzo
    ---------------------------Howard

Now holden or Mix might be able to work into there somewhere instead of Jones or Bradley may push up and put in Cameron as the dmid.. but that's basically the system I see them going with.

Then LD, CD, find pockets and holes, Beasley and Evans create space and F.Johnson and Jones work as 8's.

Then when the game opens up bring in Eddie Johnson and or Brek Shea.

But that allows LD and CD to have the freedom to find space and be an attacking threat. It will require though true outside wingers to create that space. But with both Jozy and CD able to knock in crosses in the air or on the ground... its a pretty solid unit.

I was just wondering if Zusi might be better as a RWB than Evans.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to chandler his missed games now were due to injury. You don't give up on a young kid with potential like that. I said I have him starting cause dolo's age and injury scare me but dolo has prob been one of the best usa defenders all time. Dude is just solid as they come.

I disagree that Beaz has been better than Fabian at lb. And Fabian I believe has a couple assists from lb and has created width that we need. He will do fine there.

As far as Holden and mix they will prob be in brazil but if everyone stays healthy jones and Bradley will be the starters. And I just don't see JK turning away from the 4-2-3-1. Not with the team clicking and the results coming in. I don't care what looks we see in the gold cup he will stick with what he's been doing with the a team.

Zusi isn't a rb. Evans had played there at times in his career. And zusi has been playing very well for us at rm.

23. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Here is what I think I've learned about JK. He loves players who can play multiple roles. LD can play any of the attacking roles, some roles better than other roles (relative to himself), and some roles better than any other player (relative to the USMNT pool) LD is clearly still an exceptional player, on Int'l form, and mentally back "in it" (see sunglasses) no matter what attacking position he is on the field. LD will get on the field, but that doesn't automatically mean Zusi won't either.

Zusi, at club level, can play RW/RM, LW/LM, CAM. In fact he often switches fields for entire halves, regardless of what his "on paper" position is. He's not an LD, but Zusi can play, and is versatile. (although not RB versatile, imo, but who knows, SKC's current RB is Chance Myers, a converted RW, so it's not like Zusi hasn't seen this happen in person on the practice field over the years.) Zusi does lack the pace though, as some have noted, and he's only played one Full 90 for JK in qualifiers.

FJ is another multi role player. Cameron is another. And so forth.

What I'm getting to is this. JK will bring 20 field players, many of whom can be used in different roles for different opponents, and he will have flexibility to make these changes pre-game, and in-game. Remember how JK would never bring the same starting XI lineup to each game, or place players "out of position"? I expect that in Brazil. A lot.

Zusi as RB? I highly doubt it. But JK is just crazy/genius (take your pick) enough that you can not say "never", especially in an injury/card situation.

My own guess right now is we at some point will see Zusi RM, Landon LM on the field - but that won't be for every game, or even for the full 90 in games where it does happen. The starting XI for the next WCQ's will be very interesting.

24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Yes 3 CB is the key. We only have 2 with shifting wing backs. I want to see 3 center backs. I am not a fan of zusi in the current set up or a 3-5-2. He is not a speedy winger he is average speed and can not beat people with the dribble. He does have a solid cross and great work rate.

I envision 3 CBs, 3 CM of various 6/8/10 roles depending on the roster. 2 Gatt/Beasley/Donovan(in his younger years) out wide and a target FW and withdrawn FW.

Basically my issue is having wing backs who are expected to be 100 yards up the field making great crosses and then 100 yards back being a great defender. Something has to give as we do not have a Lahm on our team. Right now we sacrifice defense on the left and offense on the right to get the result. Anyone who can do both to the caliber it requires are world class.

It seems everyone is very willing to sacrifice solid defense for misfit midfielders on the wings.

25. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Whenever a team gets on a 9 game winning streak, the first thing to do is move a midfielder to right back. Duh.

Marko72 repped this.