Zurawski to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MarkRFC_, Dec 8, 2007.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i'd agree with that.

on the other hand we're not exactly flush for strikers at the minute so it's entirely possible strachan would take the chance on him running down his contract in the summer. JVoH took a nasty head knock at the weekend which almost automatically promotes magic to the sub position. if mcdonald was to go down injured then he'd be back in the first team again.

of course he could sign a pre contract deal with a team but he's more than likely to want to either get a deal done in the window or have some sort of reassurances from celtic about playing games. (which i'd imagine is only going to happen with injuries occuring).

he knows he needs to play from now until the summer if he is to stand a chance of playing at EURO 2008 and i'm sure he wants to show he's a better striker in a big international competition than he did at germany in 2006 where he was considered a disappointment.

i hope he gets something sorted out for his sake either way as i've always liked zurawski. he is very much a confidence striker though. when it's high, he's very hot, and the opposite for when it's low. he doesn't seem to have the strength of character to battle for a position on the team. he had injuries but he looked like he didn't fancy having to fight for his place which is a shame.

2. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for one Zurawski needs to get out of Celtic now. He needs to start playing soccer again somewhere and wants to be ready for Euro's. The only way that is happening as Coach Leo said is if he plays, doesn't matter if it's Celtic or somewhere else.

But let's say he signs with Columbus and plays in March. Then he would have March, April, May, and June to get ready for Euro's. If he sits on the Celtic bench until June he won't play in Euro's for Poland.

So Zurawski is either going to the Crew or some other team now.

3. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    Exactly so. I'm almost tempted to keep him, he'll be hungrier than anyone in the squad to make a big impact if he's given a chance.

4. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport...ic+bid+to+land+a+Pole+star+Seweryn/article.do

This story just about confirms the theory that Zurawski is the striker Columbus Crew are pursuing for their DP spot:

5. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Sky Sports says Celtic only want £150-£220k so around $400,000 would do it

6. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    For that sort of money we may as well keep him and let him go for a free. £70k to £110k? Thats absolutely nothing. About a months wages for him.

7. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Would you rather have a choice of £200k or paying off the rest of his contract :eek:

I'm sure even to big businesses like Celtic £200,000 is not small change

8. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    Oh get serious, we pay Thomas Gravesen £40k a week and he never plays. Bobo Balde is on £35k a week and has played two games in 6 months. £200k is sod all.

It would be better value for us to keep Zurawski at Celtic as a back up striker, because is Scott McDonald or Vennegoor of Hesselink pick up a big injury in the second half of the season we are dead in the water.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he at Everton?

10. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    A player wants to leave a big club (relatively speaking) in Europe to play in MLS so he can be ready for the European Championships.

Oh, the irony.

11. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    Yeah, we loaned him out for a wee bit, but until then we were happily throwing money at him for doing nothing.

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Difference is you also want to negotiate with MLS over Guzan. So playing hardball with a player you don't really want on your roster will just up the price you need to pay on a player you do want.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    not really.

he needs to leave because he isn't getting any time on the pitch at the minute and his national coach has told him if this doesn't change then he won't play at the EURO's.

i'd imagine he'd happily listen to offers from any clubs that play in a league of a reasonable standard as long as he had assurances about playing time.

i hope he gets a move as long as we cover for him moving from our squad incase of injury. the guy deserves another shot at a big competition after the damp squib that was germany 2006 for the majority of the polish team.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think he just means that we've gone from "career killer" at the national level to "league of a reasonable standard" pretty quickly. Mostly from journos who never knew anything about the league.

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ah ok. fair enough.

my apologies. misunderstanding on my part.

16. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    I still don't think Zurawski or the Polish manager would be at all pleased with having him in the MLS, all he said was that if thats what it would take to get him playing regular football then it would be sufficient to get him back in the national side.

17. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beenhaker had no problem calling in MLS players for Trinidad & Tobago. Of course that is Trinidad & Tobago though.

18. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    Exactly, Trinidad & Tobago is hardly on par with Poland.

19. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you're looking at WC2006, of course ;)

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Poland ever produced a player to equal Dwight Yorke? :)

21. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

22. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many my friend the 70's were Golden..

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    How about, has T &T ever placed 3rd at the World Cup? ;)

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    So in order to make enough waves to join the party at Euro 2008, he's going to join Columbus Crew? Someone is having a laugh.

Warzycha has really sold this guy a bill of goods.

25. ubies

ubies Member

Jul 7, 2006
    There must be some misunderstanding here. Unless injured, Zurawski WILL go to Euro2008. If he gets some playing time before June then he is a certain first team player, if not, then he might be the first team player.

He is the most intelligent Polish striker and, when in form, gives the team confidence, time on the ball and good ball distribution. When he is on the pitch, the other teammates and the whole team simply plays better game.