ZOLO brings to mind 2 things...

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by SoB Killadelphia, May 29, 2008.

1. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAN ZOLO (err, Solo)

and

CHAKA ZOLO (err, Zulu)

I've been a big fan of Star Wars since the late 70s and I've always respected the history and culture behind Chaka Zulu, the Chieftan and his tribe/nation/kingdom/empire.

Both of these thoughts are leading me to mentally speculate the formation of MLS Philadelphia's second supporter's club: the ZOLO NATION, with our eventual mascot taking the name of Han Zolo. Being that I have 2 children and my wife wants 5 total, this would be the more family-oriented section at the stadium that would still include songs, flags, wear of team/club colors, etc, without the ultra-insanity and potential violence/negativity that Philly fans are known for (no disrespect to SoB, which I am a member of).

The ZOLO NATION would not compete with Sons of Ben, but would unite and be brethren with the elder support club, and would look up to and offer much respect to them and all supporters of our beloved Philly team.

In order for this to happen, I would desire to work closely with the SoB elders, who have already overcome many of the obstacles we would face in forming our group.

Our colors would also be what I'm calling the ZOLO BLUE & LIGHTNING YELLOW, with some tribal earth tones added, like browns, beiges, olive drab greens, etc. for shirts, merch, whatever. All of the influences in design would come from my research and study of the original Zulu Nation, their art, symbols, weapons, etc.

Does this sound corny or could it be legit and appealing to people who might not desire to join SoB and are looking for an alternative, especially people with families?

I've already seen people reveal on this board that they don't desire to join SoB. Not sure why, but maybe they would join another group. I love SoB, so I don't know what their problem was.

Also, I see other teams, and even the new Seattle Sounders supporters forming multiple support clubs. Seattle has 3 on their board, but only 1 is legit so far.

I'll end the idea here and await your feedback and ideas!

Kevin
    Possible future Chieftan of the ZOLO NATION

2. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you think to stop and ask if plans for these people weren't already in the works?

3. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking you can come up with a name a little more original than ZOLO NATION. Really, you want to name your supporters club with a something so readily associated with SoB and it's history? If you're going to do it, do it on your own merits and ideas. In other words, be original.

You played in the back yard by yourself a lot didn't you?

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that the club is planning on including family sections in their seating chart.

I think youre well intentioned. The SoB certainly isn't a place for a bunch of little SITs (supporters in training) to be. But I think you should double back on the name. New York has Red Bull Nation as an alternative to ESC.

The more supporters groups the merrier I guess. Personally, I think that the more you dilute the mix, the more the engine sputters. DC's supporters clubs actually have internal feuds and rivalries. Feuds and smack talk amongst our own supporters are counterproductive and childish.

5. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an idea that grew as I was typing. It's not like the Zolo Nation is official or will ever happen. If it got support, than it's possible. I haven't seen anything discussed on here yet, unless I missed it.

So to answer your question: no, I didn't feel I had to stop and think about it. And the Zolo Nation doesn't have to be for any one particular group or persons. It can be whatever it becomes, or whatever we make it into. I just mentioned families because as I was typing that original post, I was going back to read the Seattle section, and they have someone doing the same thing since he is a family man and wants something a little toned down from the ultras of the ECS club. It made sense to me, so I threw that out there as an idea for the foundation. Nothing is set in stone, obviously. The "ZN" has only been in existence as a mental project for the last hour. Haha. I was hoping to see what people thought, and if they could help to give it life, then I would dedicate as much time as I could to the development, management, and administration of it until it saw the light of day.

Maybe I misread what you wrote and took it a little too personal, but you seemed to get defensive with me without offering any insight to whatever it is you're talking about. Please clarify. Thanks!

A fellow SoB forever,

Kevin

6. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why I'm asking the questions...to get feedback. Remember, this is a thought, an idea, in my mind that can only come to fruition with the support of others. I would never do this by myself.

And what's wrong with being associated with SoB? I'm a member and proud supporter of SoB and would gladly allow for the history of a new club to recognize it's roots: the origins stemming from within the SoB.

And the name was just a quick thought; again, nothing is set in stone and might never exist anyways.

Thanks for the feedback, though. Keep it coming!

Kevin

7. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. Zolo-Hornet

Zolo-Hornet Member

Apr 7, 2008
    West Chester
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the idea of more than one supporters group is kinda crazy - after all you're all supporting the team - but given that the stadium is going to have a separate SoB section it seems inevitable as you will either be an SoB in the SoB section or a non-SoB in another section (unless like me you are an SoB who will be in the non-SoB section as my kids are certainly little SITs). But I digress...personally, without really thinking it through, I think it would be great if we could have a family section of the main SoB supporters club that potentially could incorporate the Zolo name and I love the idea of Han Zolo as the mascot - anytime you can link in Star Wars with anything - esp. for young boys it will be a winner (light-saber fights with young supporters from that day's opposition as half-time entertaiment - oh the possibilities). There would probably be legal issues, though, I suppose.....

9. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well SOB Nation... or something similar. This could be a combination of a couple things supporters of the club who are mroe family oriented and SOB family members.

It will end up being a meeting section for all spouses and significant others that complain about how much time their partners spend with the SOBs :)

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe we could just call it the B's

11. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the divorce it could be the C's :eek:

12. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the name change since NYRB is using it already. I've tried to watch MLS over the years and it's never grabbed my attention compared to the national teams or foreign leagues. I'm only now becoming interested in MLS because my city is finally getting a team, so I'll have a team to support. There's a lot about MLS, and it's support clubs, that I know nothing about. I've been a soccer player for 28 years, but I'm just finally supporting soccer on a professional level in my country. I'm like a sponge and I'm trying to absorb as much as possible in as small amount of time as I can. I've been a record label owner, band manager for 11 bands, concert promoter, benefit/charity promoter/organizer, etc, so I have some experience with putting things together, promoting them, and garnering the support necessary to have a successful endeavor.

Anyways, I would never be a part of any feud with a fellow supporters club and would frown upon it for any member of any organization I belonged to or ran.

Thanks for the guidance.

Kevin SoB

13. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, but over time, unless there is a clear progression from Little SIT to SoB, competition (healthy or unhealthy) will develop.

All of us realize that other supporters clubs are an inevitability in most cities but because we have such a long run up, the elders were hopeful to create a unique blend that would appeal to a wide variety of fans. Yes, it's utopian.

Obviously, the youth must find a welcoming atmosphere, one that both they and their parents are comfortable in. One that is devoid of celebratory beer showers, most swearing, and in a location that allows them to see the field. My opinion is that the Philadelphia game day atmosphere will be participatory throughout the stadium and that moving to the Sons of Ben section will be like the rite of passage Nick Hornby describes in Fever Pitch. When a kid is old enough, his parents will take them in for the first time or let him go on his own.

15. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HMMM....

16. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there are already groups that do both in the league. The Screaming Eagles, for example, have the Nest, which is the more raucous section, and the Aerie, which is the more subdued/family friendly section.

17. SoB Killadelphia

Apr 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The negative feedback has persuaded me to change the name of this hypothetical club from ZOLO NATION to one of my other options:

ZOLO TRIBE
    ZOLO KINGDOM
    ZOLO EMPIRE

Not sure which one I like the most. Zulu Nation is how I've mainly heard Chaka's unification accomplishments and revolutionary warfare tactics referred to under one banner. Whatever my fantasy name changes to, it will normally be followed by Philadelphia like so:

ZOLO
    EMPIRE
    PHILADELPHIA​

...with Empire possibly being a play on Han Zolo and Star Wars. Haha. I honestly was going to call the mascot Han and drop the Zolo. Didn't want to make it too obvious. Or I could just name the mascot Chaka to blend better with the tribal imagery.​

I like TRIBE and KINGDOM as well. I know there's a Philly hardcore band named Kingdom that's gaining popularity in the underground scene. Plus the Kingdom of Vegetarian restaurant in Chinatown is a great place to eat.​

Just some other ideas springing to mind:​

ZOLO CLAN
    TRIBE OF ZOLO​

This group would be all about banging the tribal drums of war at games, that's for sure! Beats that originate in Africa or South America. ​

Kevin SoB​

18. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't begrudge an SoB one iota for wanting to sit elsewhere because he/she wants to bring an SiT or WAG to a match. I suppose we could slap a name on the group, but why? Because other supporters groups do?

No matter where you sit on the river you'll hear the songs. What's to keep you and your kids from singing along to Four Leaf Clover, Custom Scarf Machine or Dally-O?

I guess I just don't like the idea of an SOB-Lite.

19. nozenuggets

nozenuggets Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever thought about "Sisters of Betsy" (as in Betsy Ross, the gal who according to legend, sewed the first American Flag at her home on Arch Street?)

20. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll throw my two cents in here for what's it's worth. I can definitely feel what Kevin is saying as far as a family section is concerned. I will have a five year old once the matches start in 2010 and I would love to take him to some matches but I don't think the SoB section would be the best for him right away. Besides with everyone standing for the entire match he won't be able to see much. So the need for a family section is warranted but the need for a separate supporter's group is not. I love the idea of having a "rite of passage" from the family area to the wilds of the SoB section. It gives the SIT's something to look forward to as they grow as into future SoB's. That would be a very proud day for a parent to see their SIT grow into a full fledged SoB.

Bryan is correct when he says that another supporters group will develop into a competition/rivalry between groups. It is natural as both groups would want to expand and would only be competing with each other for members. While the ideas seem pure I just feel that another group would cheapen the efforts that the elders have put forth, whether that was the intention or not.

Kevin, your ideas are appreciated and your excitement is great to see, but given the need for the SoB's to grow in the community maybe you could use your efforts to further the charitable efforts the SoB's have started most of which are family oriented. Again this is just my 2 cents. Take what you want and leave the rest.

21. buca

buca New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Pennsport, Philly
    What I don't get is, if you're in the SOB section, you're a supporter. If you're in an SOB family section, you're also a supporter.
    If you're just in a regular seat, what are you?
    Why do you need to be in a 'section' with your family to feel like you're a part of it? What if I bring a drum, or a banner, and I'm in the middle upper section somewhere, and my husband has PHILLY painted on his chest and we're singing our heads off? We're not supporters? Or we're on our own insane island in the midst of a sea of folk calmly watching the game? Is that the point, then, not to sing alone?
    You'll never sing alone?

I don't know what I just said there so I will get some more coffee.

22. buca

buca New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Pennsport, Philly
    right i think what i said was the bit about singing alone which is the point. right. is it friday yet?

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at the end of the day, who gives a rat's ass if there is one group, or a dozen? isn't everyone there for the same reason, to support the team on the field? it works for section 8 (in chicago), and may or may not work in philly. we already know there is at least one other supporter group in the works - Chester City Casuals - so do they get shunned and ridiculed for not being part of SoB, or are they welcomed and encouraged to do their own thing and bring the passion and excitement to the best of their ability? i'd say that guy has guts (and maybe a screw or two loose) for showing up to the announcement proclaiming he's not a part of Sons of Ben.

SoB has changed the blueprint for how supporter groups develop and the scary influence they can have with the team. any other group that starts up will be the runt of the litter, not having the same advantage of Sons of Ben by being "here before the team". so i'll ask again, are those groups run out of town because they're not a part of the big boys?

SoBs membership numbers are truly impressive, to that there is no doubt. is it realistic to think that each and every one of them will be in SoB's official section in the stadium? of course not. personally, i know a half dozen people on the SoB email list that have not put down a season ticket deposit. does them only coming to a handful of games a season make them less of a supporter?

i've said it in the past (and will probably get flamed and neg repped again for saying it now), but a philadelphia soccer fan does not an SoB make. i think many are starting to come to that realization, and we can see it plainly on these boards. a bunch of regular posters are not, and probably never will be, into that culture. good on them. let them support the team how they want ... whether it's with a completely different raucous group, a family-friendly one, or in the so called "quiet" sections.

point is, they'll be at the game, they'll be cheering on the team. let's hope the SoB (and potential others) provide that infectious atmosphere encouraging EVERYONE to participate in the cheers and songs.

i commend kevin for being upfront and honest about his ideas for a supporter group. can't say i'm a big fan of the name(s) however. :p but instead of bashing and discouraging his efforts, i think a little constructive criticism and encouragement is called for.

24. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly that any supporters wherever they are should be able to sing, dance, scream and yell as much as they desire. The problem is that there are fans (not supporters) that just want to sit in their seats and watch the game in peace and quiet. These are the people that will complain to the stewards that the supporters are being too loud, standing up in front of them, and disturbing them from watching the game. That is why we need to have sections. As I say that I am thinking that maybe we need to have sections for the "fans" and the supporters can rule the rest of the stadium. My point is if you want to "watch" the match stay at home and watch it in HD on your new flat screen. If you want to "experience" the match go in your gear and jump up and down and sing and scream your head off.

Also my point of having a "family section" is to groom the SIT's to become proper SoB's. Teach them the songs and chants and school them in the proper ways to support a soccer team. Just a thought but maybe we can use the "family section" for seats that the team/SoB's give to local youth teams and other charities. We can guarantee that they get the full experience without the full experience if you know what I am saying.

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dill0n, you're right. I think the tribal mentality that has developed already around the group is a positive though. In other places, the team is the rallying call. Here, we don't have shit else to do for the next two years, so people have rallied to a group of people creating things to do.

I would love to see on opening day that by the third time we chant Philadelphia, or sing Dale O, or Four Leaf Clover, that others in the stadium start to join in. I would love to never have a match so quiet that you could hear the players talking smack and to each other (well done on the Midnight Riders for the protest last night) and I would love to see other people inspired to create supporters clubs. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be disappointed that they didn't feel comfortable joining with a large established group of their fellow fans.

The Chester City Casuals guy is a Dougie Brimson nut rider who wants to start a firm because he thinks its a cool idea. Showing up with a sign and getting photographed with it was bad idea #1. Makes it easier for the cops to pop him the first time he and "his mates" have a "little dust up".

It's not a black and white issue this one supporters club vs many. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. And frankly, if you would have told me and Dave when the three of us were starting out that Sons of Ben would be seen as the dominant supporter culture, we all would have shit ourselves.