Zlatan

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by crookeddy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite the deal Beckham got, but OTOH, Zlatan's club is already playing.
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic becomes part-owner of Swedish top-flight side Hammarby
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50556043

kaburu repped this.
  2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPNumber9, WarGalaxy and Dr.Phil repped this.
  3. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WarGalaxy repped this.
  4. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Wonder what his thinking was ?

Why not pump money back into Malmo where he WAS idolised ?

6. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s all about Z. Never been about the team.

GalaxyKoa and The Cadaver repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a crazy saga. Even his home was vandalized, fans and even former coaches have come out against him.

You could say Zlatan has such a chip on his shoulder to begin with because he was an immigrant to Sweden and grew up in a tough ghetto, where he never felt accepted. He attains a level of success where he is truly adored by his hometown club, yet he ends up doing something that causes them to turn on him. Crazy.

skydog repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    It's business. Do you know if he tried to but into his first club or whether it was even partially for sale? Do you know if AEG made him an sales offer that was to good to turn down?

Are you condemning Becks because he is the part owner of Miami? What about Landon? He packed his bags and moved to San Diego where co-founded the San Diego USL team and IIRC, led efforts to get an MLS franchise for San Diego. I'm quite sure that he will lead future efforts to get a franchise.

Or is Zlatan just an easy and safe target.

barroldinho and kaburu repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's terrible that they would do that. Sometimes sports are too much.

hav77, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there are folks who might turn on Donovan because of the "Loyal", especially if they ever become a rival / competitor to the Galaxy. But even that's not the same. This this would be closer to Landon becoming part of the Seattle or LAFC ownership groups, cheesing it up next to Magic and Will Ferrell, taking photos with the YouTube / Puke Green jersey, talking about how exciting and highly-valued the club is and how he wants to make them the best in the USA. Not saying it'd justify vandalizing his home, but most of us would not forgive him for that.

The Cadaver, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    One of the worst things I see is the pure anger and hatred in the fans closest to the pitch when the opposition players go near them to take a throw in or corner ..

Geneva repped this.
  12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First off, I have no issue with what LD is doing in San Diego. It's business and he's expanding the game to an under-served local market.

However, if anything, Zlatan's situation with Hammarby is arguably even less contentious than LD's with San Diego because in European terms, Malmo and Stockholm aren't remotely close to each other geographically (it's a 7 hour drive) and Malmo FF and Hamarby aren't considered rivals. This is actually more like Beckham's situation with Club Internacional de Futbol Miami. Maybe it's because they were still holding out hope that he'd have a final run at Malmo and owning a team in the same league would presumably prevent that?

In any case, it's a massive overreaction on the fan's part.

73Bruin and Geneva repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's one reason I used the Sounders as an example; they're not a regional rival, but we'd all hate it if Donovan became an owner of their team and invested in their success over the Galaxy's (and of course, Sounders fans would not let us live it down, either). If anything, the comparison is not congruous because Donovan was more important to our club than Ibra is to Malmo, really; he played, like, 1 season there. But he's considered a native son with Malmo being his hometown, so I guess I understand the ire from a fan perspective.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it was the ESPN article that suggested Malmo fans anger wasn't just about hid decision to invest in a club they competed with -- they were also angry about some things he said to the media about the fans expected reactions. I think most of us can relate to being po'd by Zlatan's condescending comments toward our club and league.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That I can relate to.

Truth be told, something I'm contemplating for 2020 is withdrawing from discussion about the deeper workings of American soccer. MLS has its faults and flaws and heaven knows, USSF has all manner of issues but the pervasive negative attitude from supposed soccer fans in this country is just tedious and depressing. Especially as the most vocal critics of the league tend to support major teams in England, Spain and Italy, where the top clubs and leagues have crapped all over their smaller counterparts.

I mean, Eufemiano Fuentes (the doctor implicated in the Operacion Puerto doping scandal) was quoted as saying that if he was required to list the people he'd supplied, Spain would be stripped of their World Cup. The same American Barca fans that were horrified about Nashville being placed in the Western Conference earlier this week, barely seem to be aware of that whole saga.

Anyway, the point of this tangent is that while its all well and good saying we welcome Zlatan's "constructive criticism", we already get enough griping from the fans & prominent folks like Wynalda and Twellman, without our actual players piling on.

Sorry... bit of a segue!

16. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh I don’t hate Drew Carey for being part owners of The Sounders. Make your money. He was a huge Galaxy fan but he got a shot at owning a team and making some money.

Now if Landon got San Diego in and went on to shit on his time at the Galaxy and all kinds of other BS then yeah it might get weird. But own your teams Becks and Landon. Make that cheddar.

barroldinho and Geneva repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "By Zlatan's Hammar be Malmo Destroyed"!

As a God of the Days of Old, he knows how to make his presence felt.

18. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goes to a retirement league

Ghosting and TrickHog repped this.
  20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TOAzer repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WarGalaxy repped this.
  22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored in his first start today in that retirement league.

kaburu, ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and 2 others repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also now scored in four different decades.

Go ahead and play top level football not even have an off-season at 38 Zlatan. You do you, homie.

kaburu, ShortyMac, barroldinho and 3 others repped this.
  24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel fortunate that he played on my favorite soccer team for a time. What a stud.

kaburu, ShortyMac, barroldinho and 4 others repped this.
  25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He must be regretting signing for Milan now ManU need a temp striker and will pay big bucks ..