Zippo Lighters.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by srd...., Dec 13, 2006.

1. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    first off yes i know there not exactly "Technology" as such.

however after weighing up my options,ive decided to post this here mainly because i felt id get a better response here,over say nsr or food and travel fourms.also this is the kind of "fix it" section of big soccer if you know what i mean.

anyway ive nearly always had a zippo,mainly for the feel,smell,weight and reliability they offer.however my last one a classic brushed steel look is acting a bit funny.more to the point not lighting properally.

now i recently gave it an sevrice but it's still not 100% i did the wick,fuel and flint,cleaned it out but still got alot of black in the chimney (i think thats the right name for it).

so anyone got any advice they swear by,like i use so and so to clean it,or i swear by a high/low wick,e.t.c....

i know they fix it for free and ive a couple of old ones that could do with it,but it's cheaper to buy a new one in ireland than to pay for the shipping.

anyway any input is greatly welcomed.
    thanks, Srd....

2. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    THis is going to sound silly... but buy a new plain zippo... and take out the guts and put it in your old case, if the case is sentimental or important to you.

3. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    the case isnt important bud,but my current one is only about 6 months old which is a bit early to add it to my *retired* zippo drawer.

i think it really just needs a good cleaning again and maybe a wick adjustment.

i might try WD-40 to clean it but if others have a better idea i'll try that.
    if nothing works ive my eye on a sweet carbon fibre one :D

thanks for the reply though bud...

4. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I have this Zippo.

[​IMG]

Who here knows the trick of relighting the Zippo with the snap of a finger?

5. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I can open a zippo with one hand and the "snap" and I haven't had one for a very long time. It's just something you should be forced to learn if you ever buy a Zippo.

6. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    yeah it's a good trick...

i can do the snap to open it move (Zippo between your thumb,middle and index finger) with both hands,even with the lighter upside down.
    and the snap of the finger re-lighting move,but cant do the snap into lighting it in one go move.

nice Zippo b.t.w. primera :cool:

oh yeah and im still trying to sort out my own one and in fairness with 90,000 plus members,surely someone has a few maintinance tips for me that might help....

anyone ;)

7. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004