Zindedine Zidane or Danny Cadamarteri- The Ravel Morrison Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Feb 9, 2014.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think this sums it up. The main thing is that he just needs to play games and whether or not him being in the Championship is a positive or negative the regular run of games should be helpful in the long run to him realizing what talent he has been blessed with.

2. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What has he done this season though that honestly shows he isn't professional/doesn't have the right mindset?

The Guardian repped this.
  3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    forgive me for sounding pedantic but he is playing in the Championship and I say that with the highest respect for that Division

I realize that Ravel is one of the most polarizing players about as some seem to drastically overrate him while others drastically underrate him but some of this talk going on makes one think that Ravel should be regularly trotting out for one of the top Premiership clubs and lets face it- he is not doing that.

Now some may argue that Big Sam and his shyte tactics do not get the best out of Ravel along with Big Sam and his dodgy agent allegedly driving Ravel away but lets take a quick look at this season as you point out. I am only going to focus on his time with West Ham as the QPR time is moot imo

he has played in 17 Premier League games of which he started 13 and played the full match in 11 of those games

he has played in additional 5 Cup games (4 Capital One, 1 FA Cup) where he started 4 and played the full match in 4 of those games

so in total he was with West Ham for a total of 29 games (22 League, 6 Capital One, 1 FA Cup) wherein 2,610 minutes were available to be played and he featured in 1,557 of those minutes- roughly 60% of those minutes

basically I think he was given ample chance to show his worth both in terms of minutes and chances afforded at West Ham and while I will be very honest and say that I did not see every one of those games- I did see quite a few of those games where he played- and I came away with the impression of a lad being the unfinished article. Showing flashes of brilliance one minute and then being a passenger for long periods of time.

I am not saying that he can not become a great player but I think far too many have bestowed that title upon him already without it really being applicable. I firmly believe that even great players have a way of sticking out when they are stuck on a shit side and I did not see that with Ravel. Thankfully he still has plenty of time on his side but the point being made is that he has the potential to be a great player and to date the only thing which seems to be holding him back is not the lack of opportunity but either

1. Ravel being a bit of a wanker- pretty common for most footballers
    2. Or as Paul suggested- Ravel just not making the most of the talent

I lean towards the second point as he detractors seem far too focused on the first point. With all of this being said the recent comments from 'Arry coupled with very little grumbling from Big Sam (in general) appear to indicate that Ravel is a player willing to put in the work now. Lets all hope that not only he but England benefit from that in the long run.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Morrison was West Hams best player and top scorer for the first half of the season. He isn't on loan because he isn't good enough, he's on loan because relations between him and Big Sam have broken down. I would be astonished if a big(ish) Premier League team didn't pick him up in the summer.

MUFC1 and dbs235 repped this.
  5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    doesn't it make you wonder why a biggish Prem club was not after him in January?

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't suppose at the time many knew he'd be out the door, except Meulensteen who all but admitted to tapping him up.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    even then Fulham would hardly be a step up

I suspect if some of the stories were true about Ravel being vexed with the Big Sam nonsense then more than just Muelensteen would have been aware of that

8. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People have to pay attention when comparing Morrison to Rooney , obviously Ravel is extremely talented but he is not the best of his generation yet , two players of the same age and playing at the same position have showed more than him at a higher level so far, I am talking about Barkley and Chamberlain.
    To recognize the best of the generation is what England has incredibly lacked in the last 15/10 years, I mean, usually a national team is built around a unique player(when there is one of course....)all the national coach does is to find a system and players to better exploit his talent.
    Example: France was built around Zidane, Portugal is around C.Ronaldo, Sweden around Ibrahimovic, Spain around Xavi etc....England should had been built around Scholes but that's another story....Anyway, what I want to say is Morrison has not proven enough yet to pretend to be compare to Rooney and consequently build the team around him in a near future.

thebigman and MUFC20 repped this.
  9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nearly scored another peach.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Without wishing to stir this up again, it's worth pointing out that while he was there west ham were hovering around the relegation zone in 17th or 18th spot and since he left they're... what is it? 11th?

I mean, I know there's a lot more to it than that, (Andy Carroll coming back for a start), but the idea that he's their 'bestest player' and the only hope for them staying in the prem is a little hard to justify, tbh. Fact is they've improved since he left.

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That's probably why no one suggested it.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So when you say he's their 'best player' that ISN'T saying he's their 'best player and saying he's their 'top scorer' doesn't imply he's their big hope to stay in the prem when they're languishing in the relegation zone?

How does that work then?:cautious: Coz it kinda sounded like that's what you were saying, tbh.

I'm not saying he was their worst player but to say he was their best rather flies in the face of the evidence, doesn't it?

13. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Morrison was clearly their best player. Certainly their most talented anyway. Whether or not he actually helped the team is a different matter. Much the same as why Mata was sold by Mourinho, he doesn't fit the system. A player like Andy Carroll wouldn't likely score very many for Barcelona, as their system does not suit him at all. A player that is very good at playing through balls wouldn't succeed much if the options ahead of him are players like Carroll who aren't going to make the right runs ect.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    What evidence? To suggest that their form in his absence is proof that he wasn't their best player is facile to the point of absurdity.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Andy Carroll is a particular type of player though, isn't he. Morrison is meant to be a midfielder who can both attack and defend, IOW more of a general playmaker/attacking threat going forward and a defensive shield going back.

If he's clearly their best player and they lose him, their form wouldn't normally expect to improve... and yet it has.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's also worth mentioning that both Barkley and Chamberlain are actually YOUNGER than Morrison, (or Ravel as he has on his shirt :rolleyes:).

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    #92 Jenks, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    I'd have thought that a Chelsea fan of all people would understand how important the system is relative to the player. Mata went from being your best player in one system to a bench warmer in another. Clearly West Ham as a whole function better in a system that doesn't suit their best player, just like Chelsea did when Mata was on the bench this season.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about Mata, though, is that his form had dropped off quite markedly. Even when he DID play he didn't perform as he had done. Personally I think the fella had just played too much football, the same as Oscar atm.

19. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Claim to be as neutral as you want, the resentment in your posts are cringeworthy. He's the most talented English player for decades, though obviously not as good at the same age, he's more talented than Rooney. If he was the main man for a team like Swansea he would start maturing into a top top player, an Alcantara level world class talent. As it is he only flashes brilliance, in the right environment those flashes would be more frequent an he would be talked about in the same way as the very best
    if Lukaku can't get in then there really is no hope for the youngsters there. Baker, Chalobah, Feruz and L-C will be PL players anyway.

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    for all the talk of neutrality the majority of the ardent defending of Morrison no matter how just the criticism is coming from Utd fans so lets not pretend that there is no dog in the fight there ladies and gents

as for other U-21 news- Magath giving Woodrow another run out and Stones has been solid so far

22. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    If Morrison's didn't suit West Ham due to Allardyce's tactics, how did Okocha and Djorkaeff manage to enjoy decent spells under him? It's not as if Allardyce has changed his approach to the game.

fernb8 repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What does being 'neutral' mean in this context? It's not a religious matter... one doesn't either 'believe' or 'not believe' in Ravel Morrison :D In any case, WHEN did I say I was 'neutral'? (whatever TF it DOES mean).

I said I thought people are overrating the lad and have a deluded idea of his ability. I've also said the kid's shown a rather poor attitude in the past, both in the games I've seen and as evidenced from the fact he's been bounced from one manager to the next.

Whether he'll turn it around, (and he seems to be improving atm, to be fair), remains to be seen.

Sorry if that means I'm a 'Heretic'...

[​IMG]

:D

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The same way Morrison did?

25. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Seriously? They did it over multiple seasons. Morrison made 12 starts before he was back in the Championship.

The "doesn't suit the tactics" line is rolled out as an excuse for Morrison, but it's clear that similar players have flourished in the same system.

The Potter and fernb8 repped this.