Zimmerman to SV Kapfenberg (Austria) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by trudodyr, May 6, 2008.

1. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Preston has been given a trial at Cercle Brugge. That's all it says, but my guess is it would be a permanent move. I hope this doesn't belong to some other thread i couldn't find.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zimmerman to Belgium?

Cercle has had a very strong season and will finish 4th. If I'm not mistaken Cercle have led the league in scoring. Cercle has a decent crop of young players and Preston could fit right in. It's natural to assume that since Cercle has had a very strong season some players might fled to the top Belgian clubs or abroad. I know PSV has shown interest in striker Stijn De Smet but he says he might stay another season. Maybe that's why, despite not having scoring issues, they are looking to Preston because they anticipate losing a striker or two. Anyone know of that's the case? Nonetheless, I would love to see Preston head to a club where he can cut his teeth in the first team by earning regular minutes. BTW, Cercle have a very good up-and-coming manager (and General Manager, too) with Glen De Boek who was a long time Anderlecht and Belgian international defender. He came over this season after serving as an assisant at Anderlecht.

3. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006

Well, de Sutter was courted by several Dutch clubs last summer (AZ being the most prominent), but with his heavy injury, the interest might have cooled off. De Smet could leave for PSV - he's more of a left winger than a true striker, though. The third forward of note would be Iachtchouk, but I'm not aware of any suitors for him.

4. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA

Guess I missed something. Does this mean that Zimmerman was dropped by Hamburg, or is this some sort of loan deal?

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it's either. Hamburg have a lot of talent at forward and Zimmerman isn't at the top of the list. He's probably not in the first team plans for next year either. I'd imagine Hamburg isn't desperately trying to dump him, but if another club wants to pay a reasonable fee for his services, they'd probably accept.

Cercle Brugge wouldn't be a bad move for Preston if he gets regular PT there. It would be better to play at an upper table Belgian club than in the Regionalliga (which will be 4th level next year -- HSV II isn't going to qualify for the 3.Bundesliga), especially when he's only turning 20 in November.

6. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland

I'm a bit surprised about this, as HSV had just signed him to a professional contract. I had assumed because of that he was in their first team plans.

A move for playing time at 20 is a good move, I hope he finds a home, Belgium wouldn't be a bad place to learn the trade either...

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Belguim is probably at least as good as Bundesliga II and, at 20, this is a decent shot to get some PT.

8. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Zim has been cold in the second half of the season and had to move himself past Guerrero, Olic, Zidan, Choupo-Moting, and Christantus to get any first team action. That's why him possibly looking to move on isn't surprising to me at all.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

Spot on.
    I don't see him moving past those 5 to be honest.

10. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland

That's a good point, there's a lot of quality ahead of him. Hopefully he can catch on in Belgium, it seems a good place for young footballers to develop in a professional environment.

11. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

I think if Hamburg would have made the new 3. Bundesliga he might have stayed but now it seems that Hamburg is going to lose a lot of their talents who probably won't make the Bundesliga team next season but don't want to play 4th level:
    Ben-Hatira, Saka, Fillinger, Zimmerman...

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

if he's under contract how can he be on trial? he has to have hsv's blessing to do this. no?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Yes. they must have given him a green light.

Belgium has no numerical foreign/non-EU player limits.

There's a minimum wage.

14. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006

I don't think this 'semi-relegation' is that big of a deal. Zimmerman was never anywhere near of making it into the first team, and as green94 correctly pointed out, there are more talented options available. Saka could not establish himself in the 3rd League (at least under Karsten Baron), he wouldn't have stayed if HSVII had made the cut. Fillinger and Ben-Hatira consider themselves Bundesliga material and rightfully so. The former has had a lot(!) of injury worries during his years in Hamburg and now wants to try his luck someplace else while the latter should try to keep his head down and work at making his breakthrough under the new manager instead of fleeing to Hannover in the summer. ;)

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

No, I think Ben-Hatira is totally right in thinking that a wonderful club like 96 would be the best for his development right now. ;)
    I really really want him.

16. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

He seems like the next Taylor Twellman. Spend most his first years in lower divisions in Germany. Taylor never got chance at 1860, if Zimmerman gets an offer for Belgy first division, then he should go, or come to MLS, but to a club might actually use him.

17. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland

I'd like to say if he can't even make an appearance with HSV and can't get a move to a decent Belgian side he's not yet good enough for MLS either.

Then I watched Kei Kamara.

18. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uhhh.....(coughs)..Alan Gordon!:D

19. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The kid will go down as a success in my book if he becomes the next Taylor Twellman--a top-level goal scorer in MLS who's also been a fringe player with the national team. That's really not a bad career.

20. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of us here would kill for that. I've tried, no luck :eek:

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fillinger is the first to jump ship - singed with Rostock.
    http://www.fc-hansa.de/index.php?id=154&oid=6093

22. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

According to this article several Dutch and Belgium clubs are interested in a loan.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

So, Google is a better than Babelfish

24. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"- ANFRAGEN: Ein Leihgeschäft bahnt sich für Nachwuchsstürmer Preston Zimmerman an. An dem 19 Jahre alten US-Boy sind mehrere Erstligaklubs aus den Niederlanden und Belgien interessiert. Konkrete Angebote gingen beim HSV jedoch noch nicht ein, lediglich Anfragen liegen vor."

Inquiries: A loan deal is in the works for youth striker Preston Zimmerman. Several first division clubs from the Netherlands and Belgium are interested in the 19 year old US boy. However, concrete offers have not yet been made to HSV, merely inquiries.

25. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm better than Babelfish