Zimmerman to HSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kwdawson, Dec 4, 2005.

1. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
  2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Maybe a ? is needed. Nonetheless, would be great to have another young talent within a top-notch organization over there.

Zimmerman an interesting talent. Moves kindof like a vaccumm cleaner, which is not all bad (just different). Maybe he becomes our Ruud? :)

3. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    More teams are looking at our kids at a younger age and more seriously now.

Very, very good. I can't wait to see what our YA list looks like 3 years from now.

Dave M is going to be overwhelmed.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Is a guy named Zimmerman eligible for a German passport?

5. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    I'm really glad for this kid, at the U-17's he worked his socks off. With this type of experience he can become a good one for club and country :)

6. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

The Room Man just might be.

Too bad he doesn't have a shot like Gerd.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Bob Dylan. ;)

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.
    http://www.washingtonpremiersoccer.com/Zimmerman.html

The above URL links to a very interesting, but long read in which Preston tells us about growing up as a youth soccer prospect and the rare heart condition that almost ended his playing career at 14. Amazing story.

9. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Wow great find. That's a wonderful view at Zimmerman's tumultuous life so far. He seriously was on the brink of death, and was prepared to die, and has dedicated his life to soccer. A very inspiring story.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I hope he likes Germany better than Twellman and Donovan did -- at least professionally. On the other hand, if he escapes and becomes a player at their level, we'll be fine.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Now, Dylan would probably be allowed to gain a German residency since he's a Jew ... unless he converted to some other religion while I was writing this post.

Anyhow, Bundesliga allows up to 3 non-UEFA players on the senior rosters and the citizenship requirements are 5 years, I believe. By the time the kid is ready for senior play, he could probably apply for the passport.

PS. Steve Cherundolo's been there for ~ 7 years. I wonder if he's thinking of applying for one also. Up until last year, Germany's been pretty liberal for non-EU players but now EU citizenship can be a major plus.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    a lot of Jews have German or Germanic names but families are not from Germany.Most European Jews spoke Yiddish a dialect of German, and many had German names even if they were from Russia or Poland ( like mine).

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am well aware of that. My point is that Germany is inviting all Jews, regardless of their origin in the last 100 - or, for that matter, 1000 - years, to settle in it. That's why many Russian Jews who had never set foot in Germany beforehand are emigrating into the country. They are given all sorts of financial assistance, immediate residency and work permits. They are allowed to apply for German citizenship after the same 5 years.

PS. Yiddish is basically the 14th Century German with some Slavic words thrown in for good measure. Oy, gewalt!

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Morgan Pressel, Preston Zimmerman -- Duke obviously needs to dial down the recruiting and find some people who'll actually show up on campus.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grella will still be there, and he's quite a player. He'll be one of the best in the country next year.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dylan.

Um, he was born here, in 1941; his family weren't refugees from Hitler.

But his real last name was Zimmerman. <sigh> I think my joke was too clever by half.

17. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    I know Grella. What's a Pressel?

SD, maybe not too clever, maybe you are too old? Cheers!

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Tied for second (with short-term Dukie Brittany Lang) in exciting finish at U.S. Women's Open, then just earned her card in Q-school (along with Lang). Currently the subject of all sorts of procedural questions since the previous LPGA administration didn't want to let her be a "real" LPGA touring pro until she turns 18 in May. Had committed to Duke a while back, but she's just too danged good at golf.

Hey, I have other sports interests. And Duke's women keep winning the national title every couple of years, while Rennie last won one before I was a freshman.

19. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    Thank you.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The song in Beau's sig, in case nobody's named it yet, is "AEIOU and Sometimes Y" by EBN-OZN.

21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    You're #2 (and, of course, correct) -- I need to come up with a new one.

Anyway, I can't blame Zimmerman if he goes. Kid has obvious talent, and you have to respect how hard he plays.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Grrrr... you missed my point entirely. Dylan, if currently a Jew (did you get the point about his multiple conversions?) would be eligible to become a German resident regardless of his place of birth.

BTW, he is of Russian/Ukrainian/Polish heritage.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went through this with Feilhaber. He'd only be eligible if his forebears fled the Nazis. A Jew of German descent whose people came here in 1904 can't claim German citizenship.

On Bob...is he back to being a Jew now?

24. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    is zimmerman jewish? it would be great to see him and feilhalber representing us

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    looooooool
    this thread is so unbelievably off topic.
    I wonder if Preston likes Macaroni and Cheese?