Zimmerman signs with Hamburg - will join in 2007

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by The Greatest, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Re: Zimmerman signs with Hamburg

I'll write Landon 2.0 in as starting RM in the World Cup right now. In pen.

Too bad he doesn't exist.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Here's something from today's edition of a Hamburg newspaper:

Can anyone translate it?

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To the extent that two young forwards were identified and acquired by German teams, the stories are similar. But, IMHO, Zimmerman is a much better player than Casey. He moves outside with the ball, hits better crosses, acts as a target and is generally much more mobile. Yes, he needs seasoning, but I think there is a very good upside to this signing.

4. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same as all the other stuff as far as I can tell, but I don´t read or speak German.

-American Preston Zimmerman will join HSV January 1st, 2007.
    -He played at IMG (Bradenton), is 17, and will start off with their reggionalia (sp?) team

5. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ok, I know a little German. He's sitting over there.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Preston's deal is for 3 years. I'll have a story up a bit later today, along with pro info on some other residency players.

Some basic facts are on here for those interested.

http://tdsbeautifulgame.blogspot.com/

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

In Zimmerman's case, HSV are also reaching down a little more, trying to get this kid as early as possible. Casey was, what? 19 when he went to Hannover; but being earlier by a couple of years, especially for a forward can be of great benefit.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

As I said on some previous "work permit" discussion, a German player is not limited to Bundesliga, so it's been a silly rule trying to limit the foreign imports there.

But the previous reversal was strongly endorsed by the then German national coach Rudi Völler, who blamed the foreign players for the lack of talented German youngsters. Somehow, these youngsters are coming out of wood work for Klinsmann however.

The German reverse - largely prompted by Bayern and Werder - makes it roughly the 5th league to abandon stringent non-EU policies (England, Belgium, Holland and Spain would probably qualify as fairly open to the imports as well).

As Karl Heinz Rummenigge said, the German teams were tired of losing to the big Spanish, English and Italian clubs that had virtually no limit on the number of foreign stars.

And I think you and I agree that open markets would benefit everyone involved. Including the US. And even MLS, if they approach this properly.

9. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LATRINE!!!!!

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, Deja Vu, haven't we met before?

11. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I'm pretty sure La Liga has a non-EU player limit. Ronaldo recently gained Spanish citizenship in order to open up a new spot. I think it is either 3 or 4 foreign players per team. Unless that has changed very recently (i.e. within last 2 months).

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

3 non-Euros but they'll naturalize Latin players within 2 years, so it's basically an all-out invitation for the entire South America to come in and the SA imports fit the Spanish soccer style and culture in general more anyway.

13. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
  14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IN one of my old tapes ...was watching Italy- US match in the U-17 WC yesterday....
    Having watched other games back when the WC was happening......
    It's funny that, Preston struck as not that impressive..but this is certainly a great thing, as he is still young and (even in 07) woulld probably not have gotten in MLS the kind of chances at development he would at HSV..

Great for the kid, great for US soccer

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and ketchup...NOthing is more American than ketchup///

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

If so, then Casey had no business even being on the Olympic team, never mind playing the majority of minutes. But I think you're selling the teenage Casey short.

18. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Isn't Salsa now the most popular condiment in the US ;)

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think a MLS team would sign him, since he's definitely gone in a year, and he can't help any team now... but would USL1 be a possibility? Can those who have seen Zimmerman play a lot comment on whether or not he'd be able to get USL1 minutes somewhere?

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that's just because people like saying "salsa"

21. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I was almost sure that was English I posted in 2 1/2 hours earlier :rolleyes:

full story is up on the full site btw, along with the shorter version linked to the blog above.

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, John! you are more or less right. He had no business playing ahead of Donovan. Casey is a big guy who was/is not pushed around much, but Donovan is and was so far ahead of Casey talent-wise, it's not funny. And, the difference between them was evident to most people during the Olympics. Clive Charles had his own reasons for playing Casey just like Sigi had his own reasons for playing Dalby in the U20's last summer. Most posters here disagreed with both decisions based on what they saw in each circumstance. Casey did very little in the Olympics except show "potential" to some folks, and I was not one of them. He has so far met might my expectations based on his Olympic performance and has done well in the 2Bl., but not at the Nats or the 1Bl. level. Donovan should have played a lot more in the Olympics and showed that clearly in the few (relative to Casey) minutes he had.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003

He didn't want to play MLS anyways, so my guess is USL1 is a big fat NO as well. I have said many times on this board he had no intentions of playing MLS, he would have gone to college. It pissed some people off, but if a kid has "higher goals" why settle for less.

Seems he set his sights higher and worked at it and achieved them.. :D

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While Hamburg can't pay PZ till he's 18, there's nothing stopping the kid from signing a shoe deal.

I don't know what outfitter Hamburg has a contract with, but I won't be at all surprised if said company - most likely Nike, adidas or Puma - signs Zimm to an endorsement contract.