Zidane winner of the FIFA WORLD PLAYER 2003

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MadridForever, Dec 15, 2003.

1. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, the best player in the world has won the most important player throphy in the world the FWP, voted by all the Fifa NT managers. The other important player throphy is the Golden Ball voted by the journalists.

This is the third time that Zidane win the throphy (1998, 2000, 2003). And he is the player with more throphies tie with Ronaldo (1996,1997,2002).

The top 3:

1 - Zidane - 264
    2 - Henry - 186
    3 - Ronaldo - 176

Well, he is the best player with most talent that i have seen play in the last 12 years. Zidane is a superclass, it is like he dancing with the ball, pure art, amazing controls, very good dribbling, a great vision of play, and a great person, very humble, and very appreciated by his teammates and by his "rivals".

He is the best player in the world, he is one step over the rest.

And 5 Real Madrid players in the top 10, and 6 in the top 15:

1. Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Real Madrid) 264
    2. Thierry Henry (FRA/Arsenal) 186
    3. Ronaldo (BRA/Real Madrid) 176
    4. Pavel Nedved (CZE/Juventus) 158
    5. Roberto Carlos (BRA/Real Madrid) 105
    6. Ruud Van Nistelrooy (HOL/Manchester) 86
    7. David Beckham (ING/Real Madrid) 74
    8. Raúl González (ESP/Real Madrid) 39
    9. Paolo Maldini (ITA/Milan) 37
    10. Andrei Shevchenko (UKR/Milan) 26
    11. Luis Figo (POR/Real Madrid) 17
    12. Michael Ballack (ALE/Bayern Múnich) 15
    13. Oliver Kahn (ALE/Bayern Múnich) 13
    14. Pablo Aimar (ARG/Valencia) 9
    15. Gianluigi Buffon (ITA/Juventus)

The second team is Juventus with 1 player in the top 10, and 2 in the top 15.

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/article,73590.html

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20031215&xref=20031215dasdasftb_8&type=Tes&anchor=dasftb

2. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL :D Your a funny guy.

3. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Re: Re: Zidane winner of the FIFA WORLD PLAYER 2003

Yeah, it is always fun to see the best players win. I would be upset, if a grandpa like Maldini very far of his best times, or a worse player than Zidane like Nedved win the throphy. Maybe Nedved have a chance with the French football journalist - Italian journalist are crying for that- , but he hasn't been lucky with the people that more understand about soccer the managers.

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane is awesome sure, I love how he can set up pin point no look passes, on the run, while balancing his check book.

But come on, there are other great players deserving of the award.

Oh well.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What was Zidane's stats last season?

Just curious at to how many goals and assists he got.

Thanks.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There are always other great players deserving of the award (like Raul should have received this award what, last year or the one before that) but out of the three main contenders, I would have given it to Zidane as well.

7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Re: What was Zidane's stats last season?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure that his numbers don't add up to Henry's tally. Honestly I wouldn't have complained if Henry had won the award as he's a fantastic player and he's had a great year, and Zidane has already won the award twice. I don't think this award is based on any specific criteria, though, just the gestalt of the international managers. Look, India's manager apparently voted for Morientes. I'm a fan of Morientes but how you could say that he was World Player of the Year 2003 is beyond me. The question was asked in another thread whether there was a bias in favor of players in la liga and serie a. Of course there is. This will change over time, though. The premiership is getting stronger. More of a showing by English teams in the Champion's League and you will see premiership players getting more accolades, in my opinion.