Zidane to LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KVelmer, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KVelmer

KVelmer New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Tarpon Springs, FL
  2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Tomorrow, KVelmer. Tomorrow.

3. CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Highly unlikely... they only have one DP slot and Donovan is going to need one next year if he wishes to stay in LA... Where is LA going to get their 2nd DP slot from and what do they have to trade for it?

Not happening...

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm willing to bet Dovovan gets placed on waivers like The Sox did to Manny in November '03. No one picked up Manny's bloated contract which not only prevented him from renegotiating for more, but it also had a ripple effect and stopped a runaway MLB players market in it's tracks.

No one will pick up Donovan for $900,000/yr. He'll be making high end domestic money in '08 with his team using allocation money to pay for some of his salary.

5. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "No one will pick up Donovan for $900,000/yr."

Some may not like Donovan, but he is good and puts
    butts in the seats. I would guess he is a least one of
    the biggest draws in MLS. He would be picked up by
    someone. IMO

6. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA has the best numbers by far, and didn't have the best team, once again by far.

2005 Numbers:

Team ,Paid att. ,Comps ,Total distributed ,Announced

Chicago Fire ,12,104 ,2,523 ,14,628 ,17,238
    Chivas USA ,12,121 ,4,821 ,16,942 ,17,080
    Colorado Rapids ,8,058 ,3,485 ,11,543 ,13,638
    Columbus Crew ,8,608 ,3,735 ,12,342 ,12,916
    FC Dallas ,6,634 ,3,864 ,10,498 ,11,189
    Kansas City ,7,004 ,1,917 ,8,921 ,9,691
    Los Angeles ,19,940 ,3,214 ,23,155 ,24,329
    New England ,9,725 ,1,472 ,11,197 ,12,525
    MetroStars* ,9,956 ,3,776 ,13,732 ,15,077
    Real Salt Lake,12,689 ,3,009 ,15,697 ,18,037
    San Jose ** ,10,134 ,2,077 ,12,211 ,13,037
    D.C. United ,11,982 ,3,186 ,15,169 ,16,664

TOTALS: 10,746 ,3,090 ,13,836 ,15,118
    * = The MetroStars have since been renamed Red Bull New York.
    ** = The San Jose Earthquakes are now the Houston Dynamo.

Link=http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JamieTrecker/2006/09/27/MLS_systematically_lies_about_its_attendance

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I haven't read the Bild article, but there's a blurb on this at the Spiegel website, and they say it would be eight figures for one year. If one year means "until the end of this year", then Donovan wouldn't have to go anywhere.

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Yep, the Bild article says the same thing. The number of DP slots would not be a problem.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I guess they'll need a second DP slot no matter what to keep Donovan next year. So I guess they would have to get hold of a second DP slot to sign Zidane - unless they institute a "Zidane Rule", which wouldn't surprise me at all with MLS!

9. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

yes because we all know Donovan is a much better player than Zidana and a much bigger draw at the gate... :p

This report is most likely just tabloid stuff but...

Why do people keep assuming that if given the choice of keeping Donovan as a DP or getting a much more known player for a 2nd DP the choice would be Donovan?

I could see LA Galaxy cutting him or reducing his salary if a Zidane or Ronaldo wanted to play there.

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Because Donovan is 24 and perfectly happy to spend the rest of his career in LA playing for 800,000 beans, while Zidane is 34 and wants an 8-figure salary for one year.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    are you crazy?

12. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jade1MLS:

Lets say Zidane or Ronaldo would play 1.5 to 2 years with LA.
    What would they add to the gate? What would they add to the
    win total? We are not talking about a small market team with no
    stars. You are going to cut a young player on the NT that
    can play for years?

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No he's just trying to be controversial.

Landon Donovan is the all time leading play off goal scorer.

Landon Donovan has led teams to 3 MLS titles.

Landon Donovan is the 2nd leading scorer in US National Team history.

Landon Donovan is the leading assist man in US National Team history.

Landon Donovan wants to play in MLS.

Landon Donovan is 24 years old.

Every single team in the league would pick him up with a DP slot for "$800,000".

14. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    This is not good. These guys need to be spread out amongst various teams in the league. I don't care about talent, I'm talking about marketability. If Zidane signs we need him in Chicago or New York. LA is already going to sell out stadiums. It would be nice to have a second team doing the same thing.

15. joshnper

joshnper New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    While I think this is a very minor story from a German Tabloid I would love for it to become true. I do however wonder why MLS would want him to go to the Galaxy. He was interested in several other teams at one point and I still think he would be better suited for Chicago or NY.

16. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    So now Zizou is going to LA? There have already been rumors that he was going to Red Bull and here to Chicago. I don't think anything will come of this but I do agree that if he signs with MLS he should play with a team that doesn't have a DP.

17. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one would pick up Donovan for $900,000? Maybe not, unless they are intelligent.

Sure, many people rag on the guy, but his history of delivering the goods in MLS (LA, San Jose) has been phenomenal, and he's still young and fast, and isn't injury prone.

Am I missing something? Tell me why he's not worth real money again.\

Give me a freaking break!

If LA doesn't want him, FCD would offer him about $1.5 million a year and never look back.

:cool:

18. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    Wouldn't mind seeing Landy joining the Men in Red.. Think Toyota Park would fill a few more seats then?

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Nope.

Coach would surround him with 8 defenders for 20 matches and piss him off.

20. euromut

euromut New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Great Lakes
    The idea that Zidane would join the Galaxy at this point seems odd. I'm not sure ZZ would add any big $ to the Galaxy at this point. They already have a shirt sponsor, the big thrust for season tickets is waning, and Beckham probably wouldn't want to be crowded out in his celebrity appeal. Why would Becks want to share the spotlight, again. LA is supposed to behis world right now.

21. USMNT

USMNT New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    It doesn't matter if Zizou goes to LA, Columbus or KC. This is all free advertising for the league, which now has some relevance in the international soccer market because of one signing: Beckham.

Is there anyone who would still question this deal?

22. euromut

euromut New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Great Lakes
    Sure but the league would benefit significantly more if ZZ wnt to NY, Chicago, Houston et al.

23. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    U r probably right about that. But like i said he would put butts in the seats and maybe we could win a few more games. Maybe line about three of our quickest defenders in front of him and just take off(lol)

24. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if he goes to the Galaxy, they can have our DP spot in return for Landon. I'm sure RBNY would be able to pull off a trade with Columbus or Colo for their DP.

25. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Sure let him come to the G's if he wants to. Just dont raise ticket prices anymore. Ticket prices are already high as they are and not sure if i could afford anymore ticket rack up.