Zidane to L.A Galaxy Rumor Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by MARKONE, Apr 17, 2007.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zidane to L.A Galaxy by Adidas?

No team will take Landon for their DP slot, since next year, Landon will be a DP...and the team will have traded its slot.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This can't happen unless

a) Chivas reacquires the DP slot it traded for Guevara or
    b) Zidane plays for the league max., and isn't a DP. :p

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do. Although the trade I envisioned has Colorado trading their DP for Sturgis and Conor Casey, so that should have been your argument.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

yup... and Juergen Klinsman has been impressive this year as USMNT coach ;)

5. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Wasn't it Fox Sports that reported it? Jaime what's his name?

6. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica

Trecker. The same guy that reported that Zidane was going to Red Bull.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why to LA, they have Becks

stars need to be spread around, why not the Fire or Salt Lake or Dallas

8. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES

what do you mean why? We have the money and we are the only team that is willing to take it to the extreme. If any team is able to have Beckham, Zidane and Donovan, its the L.A. Galaxy.

9. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Fire has Blanco.
    Salt Lake is hoping to keep Adu around, next season he will require a DP slot.

Dallas, they have been linked to several players. And if they want to keep Ruiz they will need their DP slot.

10. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LA's attendance is likely going to be maxed out anyways, so why not another place as soccerfan suggested? I don't know, to me it sounds like Lalas wants some disparity in the league.

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's the GM of the Galaxy, not the league. Of course he wants disparity.

12. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Zindane Beckham roadshow will sellout most stadiums, home or on hte road. Even though LA will get both the entire league will greatly benefit both exposure wise and financially.

13. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

Definitely. And having two superstars, Zidane and Beckham, and a US star, LD, will provide some cover for the roadshow in the likely event of rest or injury for the old guys, or Nats duty in the case of Donovan. I'm not sure the roadshow's great for the overall play of the Galaxy, but I can see how from a marketing perspective it sounds like return on your investment, and great for the league to get fans into the stands and around the world adding MLS tour and marketing potential. And from my perspective, It'd be nice if the Galaxy could win a game too.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

This may be the key thing and why the Galaxy may really press this..
    It's not just the road show here but the invitations overseas..
    Imagine if just before one of those trips Becks is hurt and a sellout stadium overseas is waiting.. If the Galaxy also had Zidane a total fiasco would be averted.. :) It's a lot of pressure for a team to put on one player. You may remember that once Santos, while touring with Pele, tried to pass off one of their other players as Pele when he was injured to avert a possible riot or possible payment problem.. It didn't work..:D

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or $100K in allocation money. (I think. I think he's on $500K and the league max is $400k. If not $100K, close to it.)

16. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

...except you can't. One of the many legacies of Lamar Hunt is the DP. He agreed to it as long as all salary goes on the books in 2008, with the exception of the DP, who has 400K of his salary on the cap or a traded for second DP slot, which would have league max count on the salary cap. As others have pointed out, unless Zizou has moved from his $10 million a year stance he had earlier when the Fire was trying to land him to accepting league max, non-DP money, you need a second DP slot. Then there's Donovan. He needs a DP slot next year when the grandfather clause on his contract runs out if he's going to keep making the salary he's making now, if he's going to keep playing for the Galaxy. Finally, there's the salary cap.

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

Quick! Call Lalas and Adidas and tell them to stop with this talking to Zidane stuff.. They apparently don't know they can't do it! They've already wasted airfare going over there to talk to him! ;)

18. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People also can't...

cross the street outside of the croswalk
    Buy beer in Mexico if they are younger than 18
    Have a handful of players who probably put a team over the salary cap themselves like Chivas USA couldn't do last season
    etc. :)

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Cold Sea...the plan is for LA to acquire a 2nd DP slot, use it on Zidane this year, then Zidane retires, and Landon uses that slot. It's doable.

I just wanna see the deal LA puts together to get that 2nd DP slot. It needs to be a legitimate trade.

20. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yeah...a lot of trading. NYRB now has four players at DP money but have them deferred in various ways (Schopp grandfathered, Clint has other folks paying part of his salary for this year). The Gals can do it, but it will require more than a lot of the folks on BS realize. This isn't the EPL and Uncle Phil isn't the sole owner of the league any more. Ten owners for 13 teams. I wouldn't gut a team for Zidane for half a season. But then again, it is Lalas and he did a wonderful job in New York.

21. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY

Blast me if you want but...

Zidane or not, what the flip would we want to give up great young talent in Sturgis and even decent talent in Jazic for a one, maybe two year contract? We all want immediate success, but what happens when ZZ is gone, and even Becks later on. Then what? What if Zidane gets a one year deal, and does not help us to the promised land. Then we have shipped off our best young prospect in Sturgis, and a fairly solid (though I don't love him) player in Jazic. Even if those aren't the two, giving up long term talent for one year and a fat contract just sounds absurd to me. At this point, I don't think I want to see this happen.

22. WeR138

WeR138 New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    The Valley

Before last year's debacle, I would have said that we will make the playoffs every year no matter who we put on the field. It was our birthright. Now, not so much.

I think that if this is successful, others will follow, then we can possibly replace Zidane with a Lampard or Beckham with a Gerrard. Guys like Ronaldinho aren't getting any younger, either. The voids left can be filled. If it flops, well, we'll go back to where we were last year...counting on the Wolyniecs and Gordons of the world to score goals while Donovan is out on Nats duty. I, personally, never want to go back to that ugly place.

I am with you on not giving up Sturgis if we can help it. He's the most talented youngster we have. I'd send Jazic back to the Great White North in a heartbeat.

23. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

There are some heavy statements in there. Was it really that bad last year? I thought after Yallop arrived, the Gals played some pretty snappy, yet inconsistent ball. The Sampson firing should have come earlier. But, I suppose it's hard to fire someone who won MLS Cup and US Open Cup the previous year. The problem with [insert name here] is that you just don't know where he's at mentally. If his attitude is that of this is a retirement league, then I don't see any success. Bex, I believe, is coming to play. I think he's worth the risk. Some others...not so much.

24. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Actually, I agree with you. I wouldn't trade much to get a DP slot for just one year. However, since we have to get one anyway (for Donovan) it wouldn't bother me to get it early and then use it for one year on Zidane. As someone said, he would give us some depth in midfield. :)

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As if Lalas has any say in the signings of Beckham or possibly Zidane.

Those decisions are made by a much higher pay grade.