Zidane to L.A Galaxy Rumor Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by MARKONE, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Re: Zidane to L.A Galaxy by Adidas?

I say trade Landon and keep Nate. Nate is a beast and an investment who will gain an amazing amount from Becks and Zidane. Donavan is losing everything that makes him special captaincy, (Alexi said basically the captaincy is Beck's if he wants it), set pieces, and his favorite space in the field.

Now with the Zidane thing, comes the 6-game headbutting suspension that he would have to serve as well

2. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Great lineup, lets just hope that that lineup helps you win something other than it just turning into a traveling spectacle

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

You missed a couple of rumors! I may have too.. :p

4. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pure speculation on my part...... Why Colorado?

I would bet IF this happens a deal for the DP spot is already in place. Colorado had the best offer for the Galaxy, so its done pending a Zindane signing.

The fact that Houston is owned by AEG means ZERO. As a amatter of fact I would those deals are looked at alot closer because of they are both owned by AEG. If you know Colorado has a better offer BUT they took Houstons, you woulf raise alot of red flags. MLS is on the verge, hopefully, of gaining a much bigger audience, you don't need scandle like this YET, the leagus is to young for such scandles.

Tommy thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

5. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Forgive me if Im wrong, but I thought a team was only allowed to have 2 DPs.

Not that anyone cares, but if your worried about money I bet they keep Landon, and trade away some players to be able to move him over to 400,000 (and protect or put Z in Landon's DP slot) then pay the rest of his contract out of the teams pocketbook which wont be a problem thanks to all of the money that Z and Becks will bring in.

6. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA

I would love to see Zizou play for the Galaxy. I think it would be a bad mistake though. First off, think of what we would have to give up to get him. Secondly, he still has to serve his ban from the World Cup. Lastly, I hate to say it but the guy is old. He still has amazing talent but we would not see him until the second half of the season. He MAYBE has one year left after that. I would rather keep a player like Sturgis on the team and develop him into a stud that could play for us for the next ten years.

The idea of Zidane playing for the Galaxy sounds like a good one. BUT because of the Salary Cap and DP rule, we would have to sacrifice too much to get him.

7. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles

this is on soccernet:

Mexican daily Record reported that Chivas de Guadalajara and Chivas USA officials were in pursuit of Zinedine Zidane. Reached by phone in Mexico City on Monday, however, Chivas USA Co-Owner and President Antonio Cue would not divulge the identity of any of their targets but did say that Chivas USA might pursue players once the transfer window opens again on June 15.
    -- LASoccerNews.com

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's correct, but Donovan doesn't need a DP spot until next season. The trade for a DP spot would either 1. Get us all set for Donovan and Beckham next year or 2. Allow a second signing this season (like Zidane for instance) and then they'd have to sort it out in the offseason b/c we couldn't have all three salaries over the max for next year.

9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Said like a true DC fan.

Donovan will be scoring goals for LA when Beckham is retired and starring in B-movies with Andrew Shue and Zidane is at 250 pounds making passes at slutty waitresses in seedy parts of Paris.

Nate will be good, but you don't keep him over Landon.

10. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Thats right, sorry. I thought you had two already for some reason. :eek: :p

11. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles

A DC Fan stuck in LA with Galaxy season tickets...

and for the record I have advocated Zidane to DC since this story started way back in the day with Chicago. That is still my first choice for him.. He and Fred would be a dream team.

As for Donovan, we will have to disagree. :)

12. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Man, I almost feel bad for you now. It must be like purgatory for you.

And it might be becoming a very expensive purgatory. Exactly how much can a cup of stale beer cost?

13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I want ZZ in MLS, but not at the Galaxy. Makes no sense - what kind of circus did I sign up for exactly? This team is flawed but has a chance to pull together. With ZZ you have to give up at least 2 decent pieces of the puzzle now, that Yallop has spent a preseason putting together. I seriously think the team would be more of a sideshow than a team.

14. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles

It is hard although the weather so far at HDC has been much better then RFK...I am totally admitting that I bought Beckham season tickets (and possibly Zidane).

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Sorta like being a Galaxy fan with FCD season tickets.

16. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think ZZ will be here and I'm glad.Galaxy also will do well just a few more games....http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_5691301:D

17. coresport

coresport New Member

Mar 15, 2004

... Lexi's been messin' around?

18. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People... become cynics. Garber mentioned that the push to include the "millions of soccer playing kids and their parents" failed as a strategy.

He then went on that the "tours of major European teams in America sold out 90k stadiums". He knows there is a soccer friendly public... just not an MLS friendly public.

That paraphrasing came from a year go.

Bring these names to the game? MLS markets to the FSC and Setanta crowd who never watch MLS. All rules will be "mended" for the good of the league.

If I was Colorado? I'd gladly take Albright for my DP slot knowing that I'd get more money with Galaxy games at my stadium.

Look, Toronto has a COMPLETELY HIGHER PRICE STRUCTURE for one game: Galaxy. And that was just Beckham.

With B's and Z's... MLS bought a tour. Don't know how I feel about it, but it's here.

tommymack

19. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES

Yo Tommy! I think you know that this deal is going or it has happened already! Right! Tell us the truth, Is ZZ a Galaxy member? I know that you have very reliable sources inside the Galaxy Front Office.

20. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I want it to be true as a soccer fan.

I don't want it to be true as a fan of the Galaxy and MLS.

Tommy "with Yallop, we'll be in MLScup07 even without the circus" Mack

21. erodstrom

erodstrom New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Santa Monica

This was in the LA Times today:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-corner18apr18,1,1056630.story

Here's the part that matters to this thread:

"Despite persistent rumors linking former French star Zinedine Zidane with a move to the Galaxy, the MLS club Tuesday insisted that while it would be delighted to land the 1998 World Cup winner, such a move appears very unlikely.

Zidane retired after France's loss to Italy in the final of last summer's World Cup — a match made famous by his head-butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi — and he has rejected repeated overtures by AEG, which is said to have a standing offer for Zidane to play in either Chicago or Los Angeles"

22. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica

Word.

23. LeGooner

LeGooner Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

As a neutral fan, when it comes to the MLS, I'm hoping its true. The Galaxy are coming to Vancouver in October for a friendly and Zidane's my all-time favourite player and this would be the first time seeing the master live in person. I'll be going to the match in any event, if he does sign or not, but I think he could help make soccer huge in North America. Beckham's got the commercial appeal and Zidane's got the skill.

24. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Exactly. That's why this makes no marketing sense.

Zidane to "almost any other team" might make marketing sense but, not LA.

As to the effect on LA, of course even at 34 with a year of rust on him, he's the best creative midfielder the league has seen. The only playing question is, what do we give up in return for one year with an awesome creating mid? I mean, do you quit your 9-5 job to get in on an awesome investment opportunity that will last only a year? I think the answer is, "depends on what your 9-5 job is."

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's been one DP slot traded. The price was Amado Guevara. Do you consider Jazic and Sturgis to be the equivalent of Guevara? I don't.