Zidane refuses to talk about future

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by LiveattheOasis, Feb 24, 2007.

1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Was that article before or after the article that said Beckham's salary is close to $5.7 a year???

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Doesn't matter. This situation is exactly like Klinnsman's IMO.

A guy who doesn't need US Soccer or MLS. Doesn't have to come for any reason unless they get everything they demand. Otherwise have a nice day.

3. GonzagaAlum

GonzagaAlum New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Chicago
    best point of the thread. I completely agree.

To the large majority of real soccer enthusiasts, they would rather see Zidane on the pitch than Becks

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Having an idol to emulate like Zidane for a few years would be incredible for young US players. Being able to see the genius, quality, control and ability of players like Zizou and Becks would show youngsters what to really aspire to.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Of course, but not at gunpoint, which is what is going on now.

After the Becks $$$$ deal, and misconceptions of what was involved die down, MLS will be able to negotiate more effectively but if it is just a matter of throwing over the top money out to get someone it's not worth it.

That was the NASL. I saw it. Not good.

Becks pays for himself with sponsers, media attention and publicity. He will be a good teammate, work hard and give his all. He always has. He wants to be here. The hype about his playing bailtiy was absorbed by most. Funny, in the last few years how "most" :rolleyes: seem to have understood this.

NMLS allowed the door to open but good for them, they aren't being stupid.

Steve Nicol just talked about the unrealistic expectations all the DB hype just brought. Good it's being out in it's place.

I'm sure the summer will see a signing or two.

Expectations on these boards seems to have gotten out of hand. Just like agents and the over the top hype DB orginally got for his playing abiltiy, which most believed.

Rhe rule was neede until 2010 comes. When the cap rises and teams can still by a top foreigner overall quality will raise.

As for ZZ, Thanks but no thanks. Business decision, not an "enthusiast" decision. Find someon else who wants to be here, not someone that has to be given the world.

He won't sign because his return would never justify the price. Even for RB.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    One or twp players does not have that large of an effect.

It's quality, professionalism and top coaching across the board. A few would see it day in and out, if the players were committed. That's it.

7. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Tell that to Larry Bird and Michael Jordan.

8. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A decidedly inapt comparison. Larry Bird's championship teams included Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson, and Kevin McHale. And one basketball player influences the play more than one soccer player.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think he was talking about popularity of the league.

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I agree that they may get what they demand, but what they demand may change given their sense of the prevailing market. That's the only question. But let's be real here - it is a serious pipe dream to think that Zindane will come here.

11. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing MLS wants is to turn the league into a retirement league, so the thought of bringing Zidane out of retirement to play is purposeless (unless if he's making a France National Team bid).

I could see Zidane as an occasional spokesman for MLS via charity games/events, etc.

12. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    What kind of spokesman has never played in the league?

Talk about ringing hollow...

13. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? If Zidane were to come to MLS to play, people would go there just to see him, but knowing that he's not aspiring to do anything bigger like play for France at the World Cup again. If MLS wanted to make a Zidane splash, it should have been prior to 2006. That ship has sailed, yo.

Spokesman would be all he would be doing if he were playing now anyway post-retirement. Perhaps assistant coach or something. Maybe even help with MLS developmental programs to teach young players how to up their game.

It would mean a whole lot more for the league than him playing in it now.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One word:

Zidane.

Honestly, that should be enough!!!

15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    And we are going to pay him $5m + to be an assistant coach?

Alternatively, we are going to pay him market rate (50k a year) to be an assistant for the KC Wizards?

dude, you really are not making sense here...

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never mentioned anything about how much an MLS team or whole league should pay him if he worked on the sidelines or something. If his asking price is ridiculous, then forget it. If he were actually interested in helping the MLS brand grow, then negotiate and see what he wants to do. I just don't think people would take him seriously as a player if he came back to cash in on his name after retiring from international play.

The league doesn't need him, and he doesn't need the league. Would I like to watch Zidane play again? Yes. Do I think he could help a few teams in MLS? Yes. But do I think Zidane at his age would mean "instant credibility" to American soccer if it doesn't exist already? No.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You completely missed the point of Delta's one-liner.

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely true.

That would be incredibly stupid.

edit: and coaching, etc is completely different than a "spokesman"

Being a spokesman / marketing figure while not having played in the league would be a joke.

19. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree and think he would have a little bit of the Bird/Jordan/Magic/Pele/Gretzkey/Lemieux effect on the sport, and moreso the league - MLS, in this country.
    However, I admittedly admit it would be on a smaller scale, due to the global nature of the sport, leagues, and fan attachments.

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oops....Gretzky....

just noticed that
    I do that sometimes out of habit I guess

21. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Zizou, we don't need him. We need to sign more promising players, young guys, right out of Argentina and Brazil. Groom them, make them known, sell them for profit. It is the best way to do business.

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    It doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not (pay package)- its just one of several things wrong with your 'let's just make him an assistant coach' argument.

Zidane does bring some measure of credibility, but it is painfully clear for anyone watching that credibility is a long process with many small and large steps involved (including SSSs, national TV package, ESPN being respectful, Beckham, higher attendances, etc.). The issue has never been 'does Zidane solve everything?' because he obviously doesn't.

Its about whether anyone in MLS can afford him (Red Bull can), and whether or not the purchase is financially justified. For a player who was the best at the World Cup 6 months, its a no brainer that he would be an asset on the field and at the box office.

BTW- I think its bizarre to propose any other role except player for him. Talk about a gimmick.

23. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing Zidane as a player post-retirement from soccer would also be a gimmick. "We're capable of signing Zidane as a player" may sound cool, and I'm sure we have MLS teams that have the money to do that. No big deal. "We're capable of signing Zidane-calaber players WHILE IN THEIR PRIME" is what the goal of US soccer should be, and I just don't see Zidane now being able to do that.

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Dude, why is it a gimmick to sign ANY player that is above the current standard (in MLS)? You aren't making sense. Its only a joke if these older players can't play anymore. In all likelihood, Zidane would still be one of the top- if not the top- player in MLS.

MLS simply can't afford (unless Red Bull does a mega-amortization) to buy a C. Ronaldo, or Messi or Ronaldinho in their prime.

Hell, no one in the Bundesliga or French league can afford to do so- and you want MLS to do it? I don't think you understand much about world soccer, or the finances involved in running MLS.

Either that, or you have unrealistically high expectations- which MLS unfortunately will not be able to meet. The standard of play in MLS is ALREADY higher than the market will bear. Be thankful for what you got.

I got to laugh that the best player in the world (and the best player of his generation) one year removed is not good enough for you. :)

25. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Right about now is when he would start to miss the game. He hasnt played since August.. a new season has already come and we are in the later part of the season now (european) It has been appart of his life for so long, cmon.

Of course hes not going to miss the game a few months after he retires it was like an off season. Now.. reality sets in the deeper into the European campain goes. Most of your stars retire, take a year off and it hits them. Im getting older but I do have 1 or 2, maybe 3 good seasons left in me then im done forever. Thats the reality of the human psyche... He might not sign this year..or hell maybe he will. but next year.. very possible.