Zidane, Makele....Maldini? [AZZURRI DEFENSE THREAD]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by chris86co, Aug 4, 2005.

1. chris86co

chris86co New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Gaeta & Boston
    Its so delightful seeing the french quivering enough to the point where they need to call on the greats of the past.....Anyone think Maldini would even consider coming back ;) .....obviously I doubt it.....However, I would certainly take him in the defense....to fill the #4 spot. If not...who do you think is going to compose the likely 4 player defense core...

I'm assuming Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta..and one other that I cannot put a finger on yet...

:eek:

2. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, the trend is that players of a certain age and pedigree
    can't be bothered with friendlies/ qualifiers. They'll "come out
    of retirement" in the months before a major tournament, and
    in a way it saves them a lot of trouble.

Maldini, like Zidane, has said he would never return to the
    NT. In the case of Zizou though, France really needs him. With
    Italy it is all slightly complicated by the fact that Zambrotta
    has become just about the world's best LB. On the other
    hand if you want to use Maldini as a CB, you see that both
    Nesta and Canna are immovable. Who does he replace?

There is one solution to the problem, but it requires we
    change formation a bit. It's the Euro 2000 model:

3 center-backs: Maldini-Nesta-Cannavaro

One wing-back: Zambrotta

That pushes Bonera out of the team and gives Zambro a free
    role. It also gives Maldini the captain's armband and adds some
    age to the team, which is refreshingly young. Thoughts?

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Maldini was asked to come back before Euro 2004 and said no. I'm pretty confident that he's not going to go back on his decision at this point. It would sort of smack of a sentimental "well, let's give it one more try for the old man". As if he really needs that to complete his career.

4. chris86co

chris86co New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Gaeta & Boston
    Maldini is without a doubt my favorite player of all time. Seeing him with the arm band simply makes me smile....however, he will turn 38, June 26 during the final stages of the World Cup....I do not see it as practical to even hope for a come back.....he was 36 and didn't play in Euro 04.....Do I think he is still good enough to start , yes....will he come back..no.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I see Maldini coming back is if Nesta or Cannavaro get hurt before the WC and there is a real huge campaign to get Maldini on the squad. That way he wouldn't be disruptive to the squad since he will be replacing an injured starter and not taking someone's spot on thw squad.

6. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even if Nesta or Cannavaro gets hurt, I dont think Maldini will come back, probably Oddo or Bonera or Barzagli will fill in. It bothers me every time i think of this, but we have such a experienced and talented player declining to play for his own country. that honestly is the only downfall i see in him. here are some kids like me lol , who wishes so much just to even be called up for the national team. all the sudden Maldini just doesnt want to play anymore, whats his reason? is he scared???? does he think he cant handle the pressure of being captain??? did he loose hope in Italy ???? is he not commited??? even if he came up with the reason why he quit, im pretty sure it is linked with atleast one of the things i've said. If i were to play for the national team, i'd play with heart and not the idea that the team wouldn't need me or whatever the heck he says. I need a significant reason why such a player stays home and watched the azzurri, it kills me thinking how perfect our defence would be with him in. Nesta-Cann-Mald-Zamb. unbelievable. again it bothers me inside and i no Maldini certainly wont come back.

7. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He quit? More like retire buddy

8. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    I don't think you give Maldini any credit.

He played for the national team for many years. He served the team well with a 126 caps in total. This makes him one of the most capped players of all time. Yet he is supposedly not committed, has no heart, etc? One of the most loyal club players of all times as well.

If that is not enough, think about it from a more practical perspective. Does Italy really need another defender, especially a left back? Zambrotta is considered to be the best around by many, and Chiellini is the future. Centrally there is Nesta, Cannavaro, etc. Do we break the team apart to put Maldini in?

Maldini is probably my favorite player of all time and a living legend as well. One of the greatest players ever, and quite frankly your comments are completely misguided and out of place. Especially considering everything he has done for club and country.

9. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you guys took my post the wrong way. im just saying the ONLY bad part of Maldini is him 'retiring' . Im just saying, with him in the line up, azzurri would be stronger, and we know that from previous tourny's without him. Again,, such a good talent thats not playing for the azzurri teams. i dont know why players are more commited to club teams over International. and badger, in my post just because i mention the only 1 bad thing he's done in my opinion, doesnt mean i hate him and discredit himfrom everything. I respect Maldini very much, and i as a defender on my team, study how Maldini plays. I really respect the guy but ounce more i will menton this, its just the fact that such an amazing player is watching the azzurri. He does have quite alot of caps but doesnt he see that hes a key player in the azzurri. He is a perfect captain to lead the Azzurri to victory at this World Cup.

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Your so far off base. He is 38 years old

11. chris86co

chris86co New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Gaeta & Boston
    "your so far off base"......

i dont know about him being "so far off"....I think he is just saying that it would complete the defense....the fact is....if he can still play at such a level for A.C. Milan....and believe me, I dont think he has slowed to the point where he still can't play well enough to be Captain...however, I completely see Maldini's point in stepping down....he's old, and he felt it was time for a new defender to take his spot....not to mention, give nesta/cannavaro chance to run the show....

In my opinion he should have played Euro, and then made his decision....unfortunetly the #3 is no longer for the Azzurrri.....he served his time to the fullest....

12. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Could make the same case for Baggio in the Euro.

13. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    I would love to see Maldini wearing the captain band and lifting the trophy in '06