Zidane just offered $50 million for ONE year by Galaxy...Will he come??

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by REALfootballRulez, Aug 3, 2007.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Below are the links to the offer and some amazing highlights of Zidane, one of the top 3 most exciting players EVER. The offer was just made last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinedine_Zidane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUtKKbBTkw

Those are some amazing moves by Zidane which Beckham couldn't make. Zidane would instantly give soccer more national attention in America and he can really make the highlight reels on national TV which Beckham really couldn't do as well with just free/corner kicks.

With NFL training camps starting Beckham is already old news in some places so a guy like Zidane would REALLY help soccer out a lot in America since he is more exciting to watch.

Any news if Zidane is taking the offer?

2. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where did you get the news that they offered 50 mil?? also, they have no more DP slots....

3. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Bullshit.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Bigmethadicts.com is thataway bro ---------------->

On the way there grab a glass of milk, it helps you come down.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  6. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even if this were true ... it'd be much more "Adidas offering Zidane $50 million" than "LA Galaxy offering Zidane $50 million." the Galaxy don't have $50 million to offer ANYBODY.

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, why didn't the Galaxy board go for Pele? Oh yeah, he's retired, like Zidane.

8. Johnino

Johnino New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Providence
    Are you serious? The Galaxy are making money now that Becks has arrived...the problem is that as soon as he's healthy he'll be back in England for the Euro qualifiers. The Galaxy desperatly need another superstar to keep the fans appeased while Becks is away.

9. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    They have Pavon and the other dude with yellow hair, that should keep butts in the seats.

10. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    1. The Galaxy were making money before Beckham was signed.

2. AEG, the ownership group, is paying the vast majority of Beckham's "salary," with only $400,000.00 charged to the Galaxy for his membership on the team.

3. AEG has stated that Beckham has "already paid for himself," and since there hasn't been a significant change in the team's financial situation, it seems like AEG is pocketing that money as return on their investment.

4. Assuming that Abel Xavier is also a Designated Player (doesn't he have a $1,000,000+ deal?), LA has no more designated player slots to sign Zidane.

11. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    I am Huge Zidane Fan BUT INDEED i THINK ITS JUST BS......I dont think that the Galaxy have 50 mil to spare for ONE YEAR....I mean come on ONE YEAR.....ONE YEAR.....YOU GUYZ R NUTS.......WELL AT LEAST the Wikipedia article is nuts....Mls contracts dont work like tht.....there is no way the galaxy can sign Zidane with their current roster....:confused:

12. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Let's do the math boys and girls.
    1. Zidane signs today (August 3rd).
    2. He's not match fit. Nor does he have a green card. So about the absolute earliest he'd be eligible to play is around August 20th (if then).
    3. That means he'll be available for about 14 regular season matches. At $50 million, that comes out to $3.5 million per match (assuming he doesn't get injured or suspended).
    4. Oh, but wait, I think he still has some matches to sit out as part of his WC suspension for "the headbutt heard round the world." If true, he might only be eligible for 8-10 matches in the regular season.
    5. Oh, and LAG would need to clear $330k in cap space. They could do that by trading Landon Donovan. Or trading Cannon and Pavon.
    6. And they'd need another DP slot. DCU is pursing a DP player so they're out. KC is saving their's for EJ. Chicago and NYRB have used their's. Columbus is rumored to be open to the idea of using their DP this year. So wow--LAG would likely have to trade for a DP slot from a team in the West (thus making someone like Houston or RSL or Chivas stronger). Which has the downside of making it harder for the LAG to earn points and pull in to the playoffs.

Oh, and this ain't math but when the source is wikipedia....

This idea of Zidane coming to the Galaxy is just somebody's wetdream.

13. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I did a Zidane Google news search, and there is NO NEWS WHATSOEVER about any current offers for Zidane.

[​IMG]

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    while i agree with you, if it was Phil Anschutz's or Tim Leiweke's wetdream, then it just might become a reality (at some point).

but i don't think those guys are having those types of dreams right now as they seem happy with what the Galaxy have on the roster (assuming Beckham's ankle his healthy enough for him to play competitive soccer).

i'm sure the "Beckham to LAG" ideas were originally viewed by some as wetdreams, but if the DP rule is re-evaluated and re-written (which there's nothing stopping the league board from doing), then the Zidane to MLS idea could turn into reality (although it likely would take some time and 2007 seems like an unrealistic possibility).

15. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That assumption would be wrong. Xavier is making nowhere near 1,000,000. More like 150,000. He is certainly not a DP.

Not saying I like the idea or that it is even remotely possible but his WC suspension would not be an issue. It was for the national team only and I do believe it is already considered served.

16. Kung Fu Hamster

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Interesting. Who's taking up LA's second DP slot, then?

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    do they have a second DP slot presently?

I know RBNY got ChivasUSA's DP slot, but as far as I know, all other MLS teams only have one DP slot. and Becks is the DP on LA.

this is not to say that LA couldn't figure out a way to get a second DP.

18. Kung Fu Hamster

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Oops. For some reason I assumed that each team had two DPs. Sorry about that.

...Regardless, unless LA's about to pull off a blockbuster trade for another DP then there's absolutely no room for Zidane. Even with an additional DP there may not be enough room under the salary cap for the $400,000 charged to the team.

19. Ollie & Friends

Ollie & Friends New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Zidane retired. Leave him alone.

20. Kung Fu Hamster

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Seriously, people. Zidane retired from all competitions at pretty much the top of his game, and the team he retired from was one of the best in the world and willing to spend ungodly sums on money to retain his services. He's not coming back.

21. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, by my count they have -2 slots for the '08 season, 3 DPs and 1 slot.

22. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    This move makes no sense for the Galaxy.

1) Every home games is already sold out.
    2) 90% of marketing/promotion revenue is max out

Basically the Galaxy would just be spending $50 MM for no reason other than a publicity stunt. One that is ridiculously expensive and has no chance to pay off either short-term or long-term.

If the Galaxy wanted to improve there team to make a run at the MLS Cup, there are far cheaper and better options than signing Zidane for $50 MM for a half season.

23. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I think someone got there signals crossed on this one.
    My understanding was that Zidane would play out the remainder of the 2007 season and receive the state of Rhode Island as compensation.
    However, reports indicate he's holding out for Delaware.

24. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Congrats to Realfootballrulez on learning how to edit wikipedia.

25. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    He is quite a young savant.

I was able to use my considerable resources to lay my hands on the following candid of this fledgeling jokester:

[​IMG]