Zidan--21st Century Portrait documentary

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by actusreus13, Feb 18, 2007.

1. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I saw the documenary last night at the Ohio State University Wexler Center. Apparently, it's one of only 4 places in the US that showed it (one of them was MoMA in NYC). The entire documentary consists of focusing on Zidan during a Real Madrid game in April '05--his facial expressions, body language and the game. I have to say, I left with conflicting feelings. It was introduced as this great piece of filmmaking, but I must have missed the premise of the film. There's no narration and only a few captioned sentences from Zidan-- just his random thoughts about playing on the field in front of thousands. Nothing different than most of us would most likely say if asked. The documentary goes on for full 90 minutes, but b/c the camera tracks only Zidan except for occassional snaps of the game where he had the ball, it gets tiresome after a while. I saw a lot of head scratching. Has anybody else seen it and has a different take on it?

P.S.
    For fans of the Pulses--his custom-made Pulses get a lot of coverage as the makers focused on his feet quite a lot even when he did not have the ball. As a side note--he has this, in my opinion, annoying habit of dragging his feet on the grass that looks like he's bored or something.

2. Affliction

Affliction New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Telford
    You have defiled the greatness of Zidane by spelling his name in a retarded way *serious face*

And not I haven't seen the documentary, I've seen enough of his matches to conclude he's one of the best players of all time.

3. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Wow! You need to chill man. If you think dropping a silent vowel from a foreign name is retarded, you have problems. Second, nowhere in my post did I take away from his greatness. I went to see the film because he's great and one of my favorite players.
    My criticism concerned the documentary, not Zidane. Apparently you know how to spell but not how to read. Now, that's retarded.

4. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    well, no it changes the pronunciation completely ;)

but I tend to agree - i enjoy the film more to watch how he moves on the pitch rather than for any other ulterior significance.

5. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    I've only seen chunks of it on youtube, but I like what I saw. He gets sent off in the end, which is sort of fitting I suppose. My problem is that it's out on DVD in Europe but not the US. I bought it anyway on Amazon.co.uk yesterday even though its region 2, I'll have to find a way to play it somehow.

6. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Well when I see Zidan, I thought of the Egyptian (Is he?) player from Mainz.

7. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Well I got the movie and watched it last night. I enjoyed it and didn't really get bored other than during that little reel of the day's news during the half-time break, which I thought was pretty dumb. It would have been cool to see him walk down the tunnel and show what he does in the locker room. I just kind of set back and watched without thinking about it too hard and let myself get into the rhythm of the match. You could see Zidane become really aggressive towards the end of the match even though Real were winning. He went from being completely docile and mellow to shoulder ramming Villareal players. I don't completely understand why he was sent off, Beckham and Raul held him off the Villreal player, whom I don't think we see the identity of. But it was like in the 88th minute or something so it didn't really matter. Again it would have been neat to follow him down the tunnel and into the locker room until the final whistle blew.

8. actusreus13

actusreus13 New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I didn't get the red card either. At first I thought it was the other team's player who fouled. I guess the documentary was just not my cup of tea; the fact that it was a game, especially with so many great players in Real, instinctivelly made me want to follow the ball and felt weird when the camera cut from Zidane handling the ball to just him. I did think the Mogwai soundtract was great, and want to get it now.

9. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    I live in Norfolk, United Kingdom and the zidane film came to the cinema in the city and i won tickets but couldn't go on the day and couldnt see it.It was only a one day listing.I'd like to know if i missed anything good or not.

10. romeo3000

romeo3000 New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you any thing about?

hey does any one knows anything about the soccernumber10.com soccer system, i heard that pele, and maradona and zidan ,rondalinho are included? :eek:

11. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    the website is okay but do you think spending that amount of money will tell you the "secrets" of the number 10.

12. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Hey everyone, I wrote a short review/story about this film, and I'm plugging it shamelessly over here

Hope all of you like the film.

13. goke313

goke313 Member

Feb 12, 2006
    thought you meant the Egyptian

14. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Cool poster
    [​IMG]