Zico vs Zidane

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Daniel96, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is what they see in Zico's trademark "FREEKICK" ability

Zico (1971-1994)

"It's magic, because at that moment everybody is watching and waiting for you," said Zico of the anticipation that came before every free kick he stood over (as per the clip below).

Zico took what Didi, Pele and Rivelino had done for the free-kick art form and refined it. His trademark was a more subtle execution than we'd seen before—a short run-up followed by a curled shot that invariably dipped over the wall and into the top corner. He would often wait for the goalkeeper to give himself away, then send the ball to his opposite side.

By the early 1980s, balls were easier to move in the air. Zico took full advantage and will go down as one of the great free-kick takers—possibly the greatest of them all.

2. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    R9 was (much) faster than Baggio, much bigger and powerful than Baggio, and also more aggressive when running from midfield into the penalty area, so of course, more defenders will follow R9, when compared to other players, because R9 could sprint across the entire length of the pitch in very little time (which means that more than one defender must team-up in order to contain Ronaldo, because of his exceptional blend of physical power/speed and ability; not necessarily because R9 was more technically gifted than players with lesser physical power), and he would try it often when he was in his peak years. However, the mentioned opinion, does not necessarily mean that R9 was more "brutally" marked than Baggio.

In my opinion, I must reiterate, that R9 didn't get elbows in his face, as often as Baggio did. And I must also reiterate that I'm pretty sure that all the star players of Baggio's era, must've experienced similar defensive tactics, so it was not exclusive to Baggio, nor did I ever suggested or claimed such a thing. At the end of the day, I think that R9 played in a different era, a "cleaner" era, when compared to the late 1980s and early 1990s. Looking back now, Ronaldo's era was more "defensively brutal" than Messi's era, this, I think, perhaps confirms that as the sport has evolved as a business, the sport has become "cleaner" and also more monopolized.

Again, this does not mean that defenders of "Messi's era" are shit. It simply means that defensive tactics are cleaner now. But on the other hand, the defensive tactics of Messi's era, are very effective in terms of closing down space very quickly.... therefore, a person cannot objectively argue that one era was more difficult than the other in terms of defensive tactics, because the defensive tactics of each era have pros and cons. That's again, my opinion, anyways.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #53 JamesBH11, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Well that's your opinion, but one CLEAR thing is that R9 terrorized SerieA defense and got the nick "Il fenomeno" right after his first few games for Inter ! I do not discuss deep here in term of "techniques" since you already ... "claimed" Baggio was better "technical" than R9 and we already talked before in other thread! However in brief:

1- As speedy as Roberto Carlos, Henry or Theo Walcot, or as powerful as Ibra, Balotelli or Drigba ... no DF mentioned scared of them, nor they "worried' too much of them .... (sSo your comment was very misleading and invalid) - for your info: Ronaldo did "multi-step overs during running at high speed" the way NO ONE ever did - including Maradona, Best , Garrincha ...

2- Another CLEAR thing was that , NO ONE ever compared Baggio to Pele/Maradona , but the young R9 in late 90's! Why? the way he dribbled and ran thru defense was NOT often seen ... but Pele Cruijff Maradona Best ... as among very very few great did!

no era (in general) had a "shiiiit" defense. If ever existed, it must be in the 20's or 30's when Football were still so premature and so disorganized!

But one thing for sure defense in era of the 80's were the most enhanced along with many top legends were there. Era 90's to early 2000s had many great DF talents individually than this era too and that is FACT. But in "compensation" for such weakness, most teams using Pressing + Zonal + Physical challenge to close down the space. However, Messi got a CLEAR advantage is that his TEAM OFTEN DOMINATE the games and hold the balls much longer ... so others close down space or not is just a secondary impotance ... and of course he still scores goals like crazy!

Lastly ... "weaker" does not mean any close to "shiiit" .... OK? For example, Barca of Rijkaard time were a bit "weaker" than this present Barca, but it ain't "shiiiite " BTW