Zico tosse the gauntlet at Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I understand the anology, I just disagree with it. I think he does a great job of making others better around him. With his passing and his runs without the ball.

Look what happened to LA inthe playoffs.

2. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains

More cowbell! We need more cowbell!!

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    that 1982 brasil has zico returning from injury and no where near 100%...

socrates was my favorite on that squad...

as to donovan my being special, not required man marking attention, this will be a test for landon against a good squad

i'm seeing 1-1 in my crystal ball here

4. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Sorry, Adam. But Zico was healthy in 1982. He was returning from injury in 1986. The injured Brazilian in 1982 was Roberto Dinamite.

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    oops, thought it was 1982 for zico's injury...

still, zico is right up there as one of the best brazilians ever...

his comments about the usa do have a great deal of validity...

usa doesn't have a true elite level player who you really need to pay special attention towards....

still, I think zico will have some positive things to say about the usa squad once the match is over....

I'm interested to see if some of the usa size can trouble japan...

and whether the japnese nimbleness poses any difficulties for the usa

6. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Is he the one who doesn't believe we can beat a big team ?

7. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Adam, Zico was an unreal player. And now that I think of it, Roberto Dinamite was meant to replace the young Careca who was injured. Serginho was also on that team. He was terrible.

8. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This field has enough room to accomodate proper dimensions.

And as a fan of the USMNT I am not at all insulted that USSF chose to play this game at this venue. In fact I am grateful that I get to see a game at a place I don't have to drive to and yet get to sleep in my own bed after the match is over.
    World Cup qualifiers in SBC Park? No. Meaningless friendlies in front of 41,000 against a decent opponent? Bring it on!!

Lee

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No rain to speak of this past month, and none in the forecast. It's been dry as a bone. This time last year we were trying not to get washed away by the 40 day flood.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    so San Francisco is the anti-Seattle this year?

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was talking about Italy, not Japan.

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) Might want to check your sarcasm detector
    b) The USSF doesn't really need the money. They're already working at a giant surplus.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No organization can ever have too much money. The USSF rightly prioritizes this game to (1) play a decent opponent and (2) make some cash. Makes sense to me, just wish the USSF would spend the money a little more effectively -- pro development over Brandenton.

14. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm betting that they didn't know that when they scheduled the rugby tournament there, though. Isn't rain a lot more normal for you this time of year (Ninos and Ninas not withstanding)? Rugby tears up a field surface much worse than American football. The scrums dig deep pits, etc. Rugby is a fun game to watch, just should never be played on a field you want well maintained.

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely right.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Soviets came into the cup ranked #2 by Elo. It was a very good squad. But they went ahead on Valdir's blunder and then tried to sit tight for the rest of the game.

Brazil did have trouble converting their chances throughout the tournament but they did end up crushing Argentina before being eliminated.

Their midfield was fantastic and Zico was a 3 time South American Footballer of the Year.

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Dinamite - amazing reference! He was a player that is often forgotten and overlooked even though he had over 20 National team goals and scored around 700 goals for Vasco in the 70's & early 80's. Easily one of the most underrated Brazilian players of all time - I believe one of the knocks on him was that he was of all things, one-dimensional. The 82 team was a tremendously talented team that had a glutton of offensive and creative talent. I think that the 82 team isn't necessarily loved more than the 2002 team but I think it is highly respected because they were a joy to watch play. Odd but to me, and this probably won't be agreed by many, the 2006 team has a few characteristics similar to that team. Tremendous attacking talent with what could be a few costly holes in the back. What's head-beating as a Brasil fan is that you feel like some of those holes have good upgrades available that aren't being used (why is Roque Jr. still used and not Alex or... well take your pick!)

But enough about Brasil... even though I think a bit of the arrogance does come from that. In a way, when I read the article I had to make sure that I was reading Zico speaking as manager of Japan and not manager of Brasil. But then again, not to be an apologist but I don't think he meant it as disrespectful of the US, but something may have been lost in the translation - as if to say "there is no one out of the ordinary" that we expect to see. I doubt he was putting down or meant to put down Landon Donovan, but wanted to stress that he will not be treated any differently than any of the other USA players. I wish I could have heard it in Portuguese. What it looks like is that of course he wants a good result but he knows this is a friendly and it isn't as though he predicted Japan to win - he may not ultimately care so much about it as much as definining his team with a different attacking formation. Japan is missing some key players too, so it's a good test for them.

Regardless, it should be an interesting game because both teams have players with something to lose/gain. In that way it's really about the players proving themselves on both sides. I am a little surprised by one thing... why the stress on Alex Santos?

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, he can make others better around him. I'm not saying he doesn't.
    but sometimes teams play to the level of their competion, and sometimes Landon plays to the level of his teammates. just my opinion.

i still hope he knocks in three tonight. we're leaving for the game in under an hour. I'm juiced. and geeked. I'm juiced AND geeked.

:)

19. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too, my man, me too!

Lee

20. jankballs

jankballs New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Seattle
    HAve fun guys all be watching it LIVE.... on TV. Wish I was there - cheer loud!!

21. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, guys. Listen to jankballs!!! :eek:

I'm also part of the TV crowd, but I will be rocking my Don't Tread shirt, the red one...

22. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wish I could be there too. But I won't be watching it live. 11pm on a Friday night?? I'm gonna be shitfaced.

23. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I agree...he's not that good and gets very little love from many Japan supporters. On the other hand, he may tear it up against our slower outside backs ala DeRosario.

24. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh ... then it was the second best outcome behind winning the Cup! :D :D

25. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    What did you base on to make that claim?

It's been more than 20 years since I saw it on TV but after 2:2 Brazil definitely did not play for a draw, which would have been good enough for them. In fact, I think with their style it would be hard to play for a draw.