Zico tosse the gauntlet at Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their arrogance and willingness to play "futebol do arte" instead of "futebol do resultados" is the reason the Brazilains love them so much. I didn't get to see them play, aside from a highlight here or there, but I've heard that in some circles they're more revered than the 5 WC champions...

2. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field is big enough, I have seen a Mexican soccer match at SBC. And with a reported 41000 people there, I don't think we'll look "half assed".

I can't wait.

Lee

3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    "There is noone special...."

For every opposing coach who thinks this is an advantage to them, I say: keep on believing, sucker.

4. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    But we have before. Dude, look, I like the venue. I really do. I just hope that the field is worthy of two teams who are preparing for a World Cup. If it isn't, well, the impolitic remarks and sneering of Zico will have been justified.

5. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    y'know... normal soccer rules. as opposed to the Queensbury rules, which allow for the riding of ostriches and the use of large cranes to move the ball around.

6. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Please. That Brazilians insist upon elevating losers while castigating winners is a topic of fascination and study for Brazilian social scientists. Garrincha, the wayward and irresponsible alcoholic, is beloved. Pelé is resented.

The 1982 team was entertaining but not that good. The central defense was pathetic as was the finishing. Paulo Isidoro, up front, was clueless. Eder could barely stumble from box to box. Cerezo found it cute to make square passes at the edge of his own area.

And they weren't as committed to attack as everyone claims. In the game against Italy, they weren't pressing for victory; they were scrambling to draw even. Italy set the tone in that match and were never behind. The Soviet Union almost had Brazil in that tournament.

7. Scumby

Scumby Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Dammit! You just made me laugh out loud in a meeting. Every head turned to look at me. I love wireless notebooks...... :)

Scumby

8. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey man, I take your word for it. I never claimed to be an expert. It was all hearsay, as I said. I was 3 years old in 1982. However, am I wrong in saying that they're one of the more revered teams among Brazilians? I'm sure they're much more celebrated than the '94 champions...

I'm well aware that Garrincha died in a gutter, literally I believe, but do they love him because he was pure and untouched by corporate interests? Brazilians see futebol as something sacred. Perhaps, he is seen as fallable and "more human," while Pele is more of an idea and icon corrupted by the cultural imperialism of modern capitalist society driven by marketing and a desire to sell whatever product is popular at the time?

Very interesting that this type of reverence seems to be a cultural characteristic...I appreciate the insight.

9. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this team, probably the midfielders Ono (recently returned to Japan and J-League after an injury-riddled stint at Feyenoord) and Ogasawara.

Was wondering if/when some poophead was going to start the tired "remember pearl harbor" chest thumping. Boo. Besides we can blame Ben Affleck for giving us "Pearl Harbor" in quotations. I know I sure do.

Marvin Gaye?

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

this is Japan, not France

11. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Mills Lane.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    oh man, you remember that claymation fighting they used to do on MTV? that was awsome,, they had a clay Mills Lane.

13. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celebrity Deathmatch. I think it's still on MTV2...

14. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HDC already has the USA Rugby Sevens scheduled for the stadium this weekend....

Also, SUM is probably still trying to woo investors in the San Francisco market.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    rep:

[​IMG]

16. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to play club on a field shared with a rugby team. If they don't totally re-sod afterwards then that's just criminal, especially if there is rain. I thought HDC was built as a soccer showcase?

17. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the goal of USSF is to emphasize to all non-soccer fans that the sport is a second tier sport in this country by playing on a baseball field, then they have achieved their goal. Unfortunately. :(

We have enough quality soccer-only fields in this country to be able to play soccer on a real soccer field with proper dimensions. Playing this game at this venue -- in a World Cup year no less -- is an insult to the USMNT and its fans, and a piss poor decision. :mad:

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i wouldn't man-mark or double team Donovan either.

DMB? i'd think about it. but LannyCakes? only if I didn't double-team DMB would I even think about it...

:)

19. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    You fools, the match is there because we can sell more tickets and the pro-asian crowd will fill every seat. Screw what the field looks like !! We need money !! We need money !! More seats, means more money !! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Best Regards, Dr. Bob C.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pipe down Corky. Everyone knows the USSF needs the money. So instead of having to look for a pro-asian crowd to "fill every seat" when the United States plays, why doesn't our USSF actually market our National Football Team for what it really is.

O sea, why did our guys pull 45K+ in the last time we played in Philadelphia decades ago. I can't remember the opponent but I hesitate to think the tremendous Bulgarian community in the area was the reason. Its about having the average sports nuts in our nation getting sold on the importance of International Association Football. In a place like Philly, Houston or San Fransisco its easy cuz the average sports fanatic already fully understands that he wants a National Football Team that is a break from the incorrect Dallas Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys are NOT "America's Football Team". Go to Philly and make that known. Since it is Japan and the U.S.A. in San Fran tonight drive that point home. The U.S. Men's National Team is our country's true "America's Football Team".

If that isn't true than what the hell is all the fuss about come World Cup time???

What men like me want to see is a near perfect emerald green playing surface and a packed house that is pro USA. It can't be too much to ask for such standards. The money will pour in when the attachment and importance of U.S. Men's National Team games is highlighted by the USSF and Nike. Gints86, these games are each "Patriotic Superbowls" in importance and color. "Screw what the field looks like"....c'mon man that's what the word integrity is for. For our men to play a quality rival in the beautiful game it is our USSF's responsibility to have the highest integrity for the sport and make sure the playing surface is worthy of a "Patriotic Superbowl"

Placing money ahead of integrity is taking a giant steaming sh!t on the beautiful game and the nations around the world that value soccer's merit so much.

21. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

Um, well I was trying to be sarcastic and obviously you didnt pick up on it. Of course I want to see them on a green field without baseball lines. I would love to see the Red, White and Blue all over the place. I could care less if its in a pro-asian area. Next time instead of trying to be cute I will just give my normal, un-exciting, boring posts and stick to them.

22. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

i can agree w/ someone on this, like the mini tegucigalpa at rfk not too long back, sell out crowd, sure, no prob w/ the result, the USSF made a huge profit that day, even though preki shoulda buried his chance in the 88th minute, and earnie shoulda make that pk

23. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

no, the world needs more sarcasm, just like music needs more cowbell

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Cool, my man. I will say that that Brazilian team of 1982 did capture my imagination. And the team was full of characters. Leandro, Falcão, etc. They are well worth your efforts as a student of the game. And you are correct: they are revered. But when you research Brazilian football, dig deep.

Take care, man.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

honestly, I think he's right.

i like donovan, so I'm not dogging here: but it seems to me he's the type of player that when surrounded by the A team, he'll really shine. but he's not going to make the B team much better just be his mere presence. Does that make sense?
    To use a basketball analogy, he's not Steve Nash. Nash makes mediocre players better. Landon doesn't do that as well, at least in my opinion.

That's not to say he won't have an impact. Sometimes it just seems that he plays to the level of his teammates.