Zico tosse the gauntlet at Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    "There is no one special," said Zico. "The U.S. is a good team, but we're going to attack. Donovan is a famous player and very good, but we would never man-mark him. We'll play normally."

hmmmm.....

2. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds to me like more of an insistence upon his preferred style of team play (see Chivas USA). I don't think this was an affront to our loved LannyCakes.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If they're aggressive, they'll double team everyone on the ball.

They'll just won't man-mark off the ball.

4. jordisunshine

jordisunshine Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Lewisburg PA
    What does play normally mean?

5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Can you give us the context of the quote?? If it was in direct response to a question about how they were going to deal with Landon, this is really a no big deal response. Even without that context, it isn't that big a deal, Zico is right - in terms of 'special' and how he would use it we do not have that player; i.e. no one to compare to a Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Henry, etc.
    I do hope that it motivates Landon, but I would have hoped he was motivated enough without that - i.e. his Germany experience(s).

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It probably isn't a big deal , but it's more fun to watch this way with pretend challenegs :D

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    lol. GO LANNYCAKES GO!

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Japan going to attack or play normally?

Sachin

9. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    They need to practice that 3-6-1 style. In a friendly that's the right decision.

As far as our mls only team if you actually wanted to beat us instead of playing a quality preparation match you'd put your best d on Donovan b/c he's truly exceptional compared to the rest of MLS. Probably a bigger dropoff from him to Dempsey or Noonan leading the attack than any of the world superstars to their backups.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They'll surrender after making a brief appearance.

11. gbalzac

gbalzac New Member

Aug 14, 2003

Don't think so...I'd bet there's a bigger drop with some of the African countries. Ghana without Essien and Appiah are done.

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I meant Japan... Edited my post but you beat me to it.

13. mmmdonuts

mmmdonuts New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Houston
    I think he means that they would play attacking soccer against the USMNT, expecting to be able to beat us on any given day. They wouldn't make any drastic defensive adjustments to mark an individual player.

Man-marking can work, but it has disadvantages. If you commit a midfielder to a man-marking assignment, you are somewhat removing his attacking responsibilities.

14. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get it on . . .

15. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    ""There is no one special," "

Who uis special on the Japanese team I really don't know.

If they attack I am sure it will be a sneak attack they like doing that from past performance from the people who gave us "Pearl Harbor"

16. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Sounds like the Ultimate Fighting Challenge

17. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I will say what Zico said, Why baseball field ? we have great stadium HDC in just miles away from San Francisco, i think the Japanase Americans from SF don't mind to drive to LA.

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Good thing Claudio isn't playing tonight. He probably doesn't believe we can beat Japan. Plus Lannycakes being the good boy he is defers to Claudio too much when both are on the field.

19. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Friday commute is hell though.

Lee

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "just miles" you mean, "just 400 miles", then yes, technically you're right.

21. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Zico. Marone. If they can fit a regulation pitch then I have no problem with the baseball stadium. It adds a bit of quirkiness. And they use them in Japan, as well.

Zico is one of the more celebrated Brazilian midfielders. He is known for his elegance and for being articulate. But like other Brazilian artists, he retains the right to mouth off, criticize, mock, belittle, dismisss, and whine. Socrates and Junior, from that same team, were two of the most smug, sanctimonious and arrogant bastards to ever step on a field. When Socrates wasn't refusing to wear shinguards or wearing headbands with political messages, Junior would offer snide comments on the French national team (1991: "Ginola is the only one who has a clue.")

The sophisticated polyglot Leonardo nearly killed Tab Ramos.

Zico once spit in the face of a ref in Japan. Yet they are all still extolled and lionized and remembered and feted.

I always admired Zico despite his haughtiness. But I've always been aware of his less charming side.

22. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Zico know about "special players?" It's not like he was any good or anything...

23. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    With all of that said, I will be furious, if not altogether surprised, if they can't get a 75 by 110 field lined out.

But I've learned that the USSF and whoever else doesn't consider field dimensions to be that big a deal. Oh, well. Who cares if we come off looking like a half-assed outfit again?

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    He was very good at missing PKs in the World Cup.