zico and troussier

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Acidman, May 18, 2006.

1. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-
    who's better?

who's better?

tell me

Zico for Sure! Without question

as player or coach?

2. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    F****!!!

Hama, I am sorry.... I killed your thread :( I wanted to merge, but I messed up :cry:

3. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Japan was much stronger under Troussier.
    However, under Zico, Japanese team plays more creative football although Japan was stronger under Troussier.
    Japan should not have let Troussier leave Japan.

4. samuraiblues2006

May 9, 2006
    So Cal
    And I do miss Troussier's translater-- whatever his name was. The guy was so overacting it was quite entertaining.

5. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    and now troussier will make china wake up and japan will shake :D :p ;)

6. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I also like Troussier better. He seems to have good success where ever he goes. Zico has given players more freedom, but we will have to wait till World Cup to get a final verdict.

Also I am sure to like Troussier more because he is an authoritarian manager. I prefer managers and coaches who are like that. That's the way I coach basketball.

7. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Zico for me. Troussier did his job well, but Zico faces much harder tasks:

1.) Under Troussier, the only Euro-leaguers were Nakata and Ono if I remember
    correctly (not absolutely certain). Zico has to take his pick from several
    Euro-leaguers and cream of crop from J-leaguers. The pressure on Zico was
    much harder; there's not a day I haven't seen some form of "Zico prefers
    Euro-leaguers too much and neglects J-leaguers" discussion somewhere
    during 2004-2005.
    2.) Troussier could concentrate on perfecting the team without worrying about
    the results, since his team had an automatic qualification to WC2002. Zico
    had to go through Asian qualification rounds, which is NOT a pushover, AND
    still had to work on fine-tuning his team. Despite this, Zico managed to get
    Japan pass through the qualification rounds in first place - something Japan
    has never done before (to be fair, Troussier may have been able to do the
    same; then again, maybe not).
    3.) I don't remember the 1998-2002 periods too well, but I get the impression
    that Zico had to worry about injured players (especially Nakata) more than
    Troussier. I could be wrong.
    4.) Two Asian cups, one by Troussier and one by Zico. Both were won by
    Japan, but Zico had to do it in a strictly anti-Japan China. Don't have much
    info on what it was like in Lebanon 2000, but chances are it was nowhere
    near as anti-Japan as in China.
    5.) Troussier's team played in Japan. Zico's team must go to Germany. Enough said.

The above five are reasons why I support Zico over Troussier - even if Japan
    ends up losing all three matches against Australia, Croatia, and Brazil. If
    Zico can install some badly-needed tactics (as he's reported to be doing
    recently according to Japanese newspapers), he may be able to do much more. Hey, I'm being optimistic here. :)

8. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Troussier was more systematic. I think that was a necessary step for Japan NT. I think Japan NT realised that, with a rigid organization on the pitch, it's possible to compete against some of the top sides in the world. Yet, the development would've been insufficient if it had stopped there.

Zico was the next phase for me. He taught Japan NT that creativity of individuals is also a very important element of world football. This, to me, is a very important lesson as Japanese culture tends to see individualism as a disturbance to a harmonic group mentality.

For me, both are important and finding the middle ground is the future for Japan NT.

They both did what was best at the time. History will judge them no doubt, but I have this inkling that people would look back and say, they both made a progress that was necessary for the evolution of Japan NT. If you like, Troussier is the Stone Age. Zico is the Iron Age. The Nuclear Age to come.

9. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Power Of Foot gave me negative reputation, WHAT THE ******** FOR, rep that i deserve is fine but i didn't say anything you ********ing cock face